Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: PrettyTiny Film Company Pic A Week *2020*! (The END!!)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Yaay! Congrats on discovering a new waterfall! (Because that's totally what this is, a discovery of a new waterfall, does't matter if someone has been there before.)
Discovery of a new waterfall is a great accomplishment.

I hope the not-as-advertised hike wasn’t too bad though.
Thanks everyone. Yes, the “no snow“ thing and spring in February is pretty darn awesome. Where I live is three months behind. Cry  The hike was advertised as “an easy accessible hike perfect for any level of hiker“. It was absolutely not. It was very steep and took twice as long as suggested, and I didn’t even stop that many times for pictures. The descent into the bottom of the creek gorge was almost vertical, the falls you are “supposed“ to get to, you could only see the top, and the vertical descent to the bottom of that one was blocked off with danger signs. Oh well… Have seen some other gorgeous waterfalls and truly awesome big trees.  Sunsette will be narrating our adventures when I get home and download the photos.

Doubleheader for this week’s photo.
I made this!!! !
... well, OK, glass-shop guy did most of it. I did more on the first one but the pipe was blocked, which became apparent after I had nearly blown my brains out trying to make a bubble in it, so we had to start over.
Anyway, Robert Held Art Glass offers a one-on-one session in their shop where a glassmaker helps you make something. Always thought it would be neat to be able to do, so this was really very cool. Unfortunately, it takes several thousand dollars worth of investment to set up to do something like this, not to mention the training, so I probably won’t be opening a glass shop.  sad

[Image: 49625172358_ecf78b52ea_z.jpg]

[Image: 49625963942_b099e5e1d7_z.jpg]

(what a long battle it is to post anything on this phone  Irritated )
I am impressed that you are making these posts via mobile phone! I can barely even see the screen on my phone or type on the tiny touch-screen keyboard, so doing anything productive simply doesn't happen.

I am even more impressed that you tried glass-blowing! Your results look pretty cool!

When I was a kid, there were glass-blowing demonstrations at the county fair each year. I found it fascinating to watch the glass-blowers working with molten globs of colored glass, usually making delicate little animal sculptures, swans and deer and stuff with tiny little wings and antlers.

When I lived in Hawaii, there was an art glass shop in Hale'iwa Town, and often the glass artist was at work in the front window, creating elaborate vases and things.

You are having quite a variety of adventures out there on the West Coast! I'm happy we are getting to see at least glimpses of them, phone permitting, each day!
Glass blowing! What fun! You are very fortunate to be able to do it. And such a pretty result.

Is it a “paperweight” or a pretty globe? The swirls of colours inside are lovely!
Making these posts via mobile? Amazing!

Also wow that looks gorgeous
Ooooh, pretty! Reminds me of glass fishing floats!
Wow, that's awesome! A fun life ex.perience, and a gorgeous souvenir to remember it by smile
Thanks, everyone!  davidd, I have trouble typing on it too, so I use the dictation and try to speak clearly. It usually requires some correction, and sometimes it repeats a sentence twice, but it’s better than trying to type all the text. Oh, and sometimes it will change a word from right to wrong and back three or four times after I’ve gone past it!  And then there’s a time limit on how long the microphone stays active, so I have to keep restarting it… It makes you mindful of your punctuation and how you speak.  Also I zoom the screen so I can see all the errors.
Lejays, it’s considered a “float”.  The swirly parts are made by dipping the hot glass in crushed coloured glass, reheating, and then pulling a hooked tool across the surface before it cools.  It’s all not as easy as they make it look. And I am amazed at how they can make such tiny things like you mentioned, davidd. Somehow I have to get two tiny tiny swans on a slice of rock home without breaking them.  My carry-on is full of breakables!

Sunsette is letting me use this photo for the pic-a-week, because we have two travel days coming up and I might not get one done otherwise. Here are the girls chillin’ in our Victoria Airbnb… We have a stupid-early start tomorrow and a very long day of traveling.

[Image: 49649908878_4a508c3990_z.jpg]
Looks like a lovely way to spend your last evening abroad before the grueling flight home.
So warm and cozy!
Oh that looks so comfortable.
Such a lovely way to spend the last night, it looks very cozy in front of the fireplace.
Thanks everyone! Too bad I didn't think to turn the fireplace on earlier; it made a big difference against the cold air flowing through the gap under the door LOL
As Sunsette has reported, we finally made it home, after a further 8 hours stranded because of ferry cancellations. I'm feeling somewhat less wrecked; got home just before the general level of reason & sanity went off a cliff. Things are closed here & people are being "encouraged" to stay home. I've used the grocery store's pickup service so I don't have to go in. OK for small orders, but when I need a big shop it'll be a pain.

Anyway, too bad all the swords & grenades don't show up really well, but I can report that the PrettyTiny Film Company crew is prepared to defend HQ through the apocalypse...

[Image: 49674334872_556e12c815_z.jpg]
Congrats on getting home (finally!), and I'm glad to see you have enough... stocks and securities.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25