The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.7 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Dolly Market Forum
Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - Printable Version

+- Dolly Market Forum (https://forums.dollymarket.net)
+-- Forum: Doll and Art Galleries (https://forums.dollymarket.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=28277)
+--- Forum: Other Dolls/Figures (https://forums.dollymarket.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=28264)
+--- Thread: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 (/showthread.php?tid=7262685)

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - Elfy - 05-14-2020

Really liking the alphabet version of EAH.

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - werepuppy - 05-15-2020

Hey, all. Sorry I'm not doing individual replies today - not doing so great mentally. But hey, still got a shiny new picture for you!

- - -

135. D is for Dodger

[Image: 69606682_d3106575e62f7251e466cf053f329a0e_standard.jpg]

The coolest quadraped as seen in Disney's Oliver and Company. I believe this plush came out at the time the Disney Store were doing a Best In Show plush line... I found him second hand and was delighted because one of my favourite Disney characters.

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - neon_jellyfish - 05-15-2020

Plot twist! I was totally ex™pecting another EAH LOL

I haven't seen that movie. Dodger looks a little bit sleepy in this photo, to which I can relate on a very personal level smile

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - davidd - 05-15-2020

Nice of Dodger to step in to take Darling Charming's place.   Tongue

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - werepuppy - 05-15-2020

(05-15-2020, 02:19 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Plot twist! I was totally ex™pecting another EAH LOL

I haven't seen that movie. Dodger looks a little bit sleepy in this photo, to which I can relate on a very personal level smile

Oliver and Company is a fun little movie - Disney's take on Oliver Twist

Being sleepy is something we can all related to right now I think.

(05-15-2020, 02:51 AM)davidd Wrote: Nice of Dodger to step in to take Darling Charming's place.   Tongue

Ha, I don't have a Darling anymore - my little cousin really wanted her >< 

- - - 

136. E is for Evie

[Image: 69641276_9184355dea6f04d823b47aad03fe0643_standard.jpg]

Daughter of the Evil Queen! Well, around these parts it's youngest daughter of the Evil Queen, since in the Room, she and Raven are sisters. Evie's a lot more world wise, however, but always has a fine eye for fashion.

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - neon_jellyfish - 05-15-2020

She's a cutie.

To be honest, I don't like most of her outfits, but I really like her sculpt and her blue hair.

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - davidd - 05-16-2020

Ooh... she's kinda... alluring in a wicked sort of way!   Sweatdrop

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - Alliecat - 05-16-2020

She is cute. I like dolls with kind of sassy ex-pressions more than the worried-please-hug-me ones. She looks like she's up to something fun.
Hehe, yeah, I can relate to Dodger in the mornings too.

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - Lejays17 - 05-16-2020

I did enjoy the Descendants films, and the dolls were fun as well.

I ended getting afew when they were on sale as the outfits are a pretty decent fit for the Pullips. And they're more fun than a lot of the Barbie clothes.

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - werepuppy - 05-16-2020

(05-15-2020, 10:37 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: She's a cutie.

To be honest, I don't like most of her outfits, but I really like her sculpt and her blue hair.

I think some of the outfits look nicer than others, and some look nicer actually as real outfits than they do doll outfits. It's like something is lost, a little, in the translation. 

Her hair is a fantastic blue though.

(05-16-2020, 03:50 AM)davidd Wrote: Ooh... she's kinda... alluring in a wicked sort of way!   Sweatdrop

Her mother did emphasis looks over anything else... 

(05-16-2020, 10:49 AM)Alliecat Wrote: She is cute.  I like dolls with kind of sassy ex-pressions more than the worried-please-hug-me ones.  She looks like she's up to something fun.
Hehe, yeah, I can relate to Dodger in the mornings too.

I think sassy is the best word for this ex.pression. She's always up to fun. 

Dodger's sleepy face is so relatable. 

(05-16-2020, 03:36 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: I did enjoy the Descendants films, and the dolls were fun as well.

I ended getting afew when they were on sale as the outfits are a pretty decent fit for the Pullips.  And they're more fun than a lot of the Barbie clothes.

The first wave or so were really easy to find here, but the later ones were not, which is a shame because some of the ones for the third movie had really interesting looks. 

- - - 

137. F is for Fiona

[Image: 69686343_a01490b99fa4201f3bb152e7b06691e4_standard.jpg]

Fiona Fatale, one of my BeGoth collection. She has a half shaved hairstyle and it's odd to think how that style now appears on Barbie dolls. Kind of wondering if we'll see other BeGoth styles appear on them...

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - neon_jellyfish - 05-17-2020

She so bad!

I love her! Those 'bony' eyebrows and Jolly Rogers in her eyes are just perfect!

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - davidd - 05-17-2020

Interesting observation about how what was once the cutting edge of edgy in the doll world, just a few years ago, now shows up on mainstream playline dolls.

Monster High, of course, adopted a lot of the "goth" symbolism with skulls and other death-related images, but Mattel took some heat for it. Waaaay back in 2013, when Monster High was first released, a number of news articles referred to the line as "goth Barbie." As we all know, the line became hugely popular... until Mattel walked back the edginess to emphasize cute.

Also back in 2013... which was an absolutely glorious year for Mattel dolls... Mattel released a limited edition Haunted Beauty Vampire Barbie:

https://www.ifitshipitshere.com/limited-edition-haunted-beauty-vampire-barbie-is-goth-and-gorgeous/

Vampire Barbie is staggeringly ekspensive on eBay these days. And... apparently she was part of a series that also included Haunted Beauty Ghost, Haunted Beauty Zombie Bride, and Haunted Beauty Mistress of the Manor.

These were all limited edition collector Barbies. Unfortunately, most of this captivating creepiness has not made its way in to playline Barbies.

But apparently the answer is yes, there has been some integration of BEGoth-like style in to the Barbie line, mostly at the higher end with the collector editions.

I rarely see much of the "goth" look in public anymore. At least, not the pure, dark, full-on goth style. There are elements here and there, but it is usually as part of a watered-down quasi-punk aesthetic. That could have something to do with where I live. Is "goth" still a thing anywhere else?

Funny: when I started typing "is goth..." in to Google just now, the auto-fill completed it with "... still a thing?"

(Short answer: the goths got old and, being fashion and aesthetics conscious, realized they can no longer "rock the look.")

Here's a link with which to begin your time-wasting net surfing research:  https://www.quora.com/Is-goth-still-a-thing-in-2018-I-never-see-goths-in-real-life-anymore-and-Im-a-baby-bat-myself-What-happened-to-all-the-goths

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - Loona - 05-17-2020

Ah! A BeGoth! She is lovely, and I really like her hair! BeGoths are super underrated and overlooked... I remember when I first saw a picture of them, it was an avatar of someone on a subculture forum. My doll knowledge back then technically meant Barbie, the girl I had dolls of when I was a child, so I didn't even recognise her as a doll. Nor would I ever have thought she's actually a doll who was mass-produced and not individually customised. I remember how amused I was when I learned there was an actual doll line of edgy-looking goth girls. Wow.
Speaking of edgy, it is indeed weird how her features no longer come across as edgy as they did some time ago - but fashion and general observation has changed a lot in the past 10 years, and many things that have been considered edgy back then are now fashionable, sometimes even mainstream. I'm not surprised doll lines have also incorporated these features into the clothing and personalities of dolls.

Speaking of goth, I don't think it was ever really a big thing - at least not around here. I've been involved with the subculture (as a casual goth, never really edgy) for over 20 years now, and during this time I had so many labels stuck on me incorrectly by non-goths (Depeche Moder, satanist, Marilyn Mansonist, rocker, metalhead, emo, and most recently, hipster. Oh, and in general, a mourner), but never once did someone ask if I was a goth. I can't really blame these people, because the things listed were all things that got above a certain level of common knowledge/noticeability, and thus became terms more widely known, whereas goth never did. And speaking of that, the subculture isn't in an easy situation because aesthetics aside and music in focus, this as a genre can refer to so many things depending on the circumstances, time, place, etc. And I think to many in the subculture, music is really important - but will the fact that you are a goth necessarily mean you can start forming a notable subculture also musically? Well, not necessarily, because your goth friend apparently listens to something else that is also goth, but totally different... (the Wave Gothic Festival held annually in Germany is a great example of this. All performers can come under the umbrella of 'goth', and I have never heard of a third of them, cringe at another third, and the remaining third that I like is still coming from like... 20 different genres. When at the festival but not at a concert, it is quite difficult to meet another goth who will share the same taste in music as yours).

...and yeah, we got old too. At our/their late 30s-40s, many of my past subculture-friends have abandoned the looks or even the subculture completely, and if not, they have become moms and dads, which adds another level of difficulty when one wants to look and behave in a certain way. We do wonder with my husband and the handful of friends who still show up at parties and festivals where the next generation is - they aren't anywhere to be seen, at least locally.

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - werepuppy - 05-17-2020

(05-17-2020, 02:58 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: She so bad!

I love her! Those 'bony' eyebrows and Jolly Rogers in her eyes are just perfect!

The BeGoths still win the edge on their design work for little details like that, of course! 

And now I'm having one of my frequent thoughts of wondering which ones are appearing on eBay... 

(05-17-2020, 03:04 AM)davidd Wrote: Interesting observation about how what was once the cutting edge of edgy in the doll world, just a few years ago, now shows up on mainstream playline dolls.

Monster High, of course, adopted a lot of the "goth" symbolism with skulls and other death-related images, but Mattel took some heat for it. Waaaay back in 2013, when Monster High was first released, a number of news articles referred to the line as "goth Barbie." As we all know, the line became hugely popular... until Mattel walked back the edginess to emphasize cute.

Also back in 2013... which was an absolutely glorious year for Mattel dolls... Mattel released a limited edition Haunted Beauty Vampire Barbie:

https://www.ifitshipitshere.com/limited-edition-haunted-beauty-vampire-barbie-is-goth-and-gorgeous/

Vampire Barbie is staggeringly ekspensive on eBay these days. And... apparently she was part of a series that also included Haunted Beauty Ghost, Haunted Beauty Zombie Bride, and Haunted Beauty Mistress of the Manor.

These were all limited edition collector Barbies. Unfortunately, most of this captivating creepiness has not made its way in to playline Barbies.

But apparently the answer is yes, there has been some integration of BEGoth-like style in to the Barbie line, mostly at the higher end with the collector editions.

I rarely see much of the "goth" look in public anymore. At least, not the pure, dark, full-on goth style. There are elements here and there, but it is usually as part of a watered-down quasi-punk aesthetic. That could have something to do with where I live. Is "goth" still a thing anywhere else?

Funny: when I started typing "is goth..." in to Google just now, the auto-fill completed it with "... still a thing?"

(Short answer: the goths got old and, being fashion and aesthetics conscious, realized they can no longer "rock the look.")

Here's a link with which to begin your time-wasting net surfing research:  https://www.quora.com/Is-goth-still-a-thing-in-2018-I-never-see-goths-in-real-life-anymore-and-Im-a-baby-bat-myself-What-happened-to-all-the-goths

I really wanted the Haunted Beauty Mistress of the Manor and I search eBay for a reasonably priced one. I do actually remember that fuss about Monster High back in the beginning, from parents groups who thought that introducing children to this would lead to all sorts of bad things. They always seem to forget that a general rule of thumb is kids actually quite like certain levels of creepy, if presented to them in the right way. Sir Terry Pratchett remarked on this in Hogfather: 

"[...] Later on they took the blood out to make the stories more acceptable to children, or at least to the people who had to read them to children rather than the children themselves (who, on the whole, are quite keen on blood provided it's being shed by the deserving)[...]" (Hogfather, Terry Pratchett, 1996)

I would say that the goth look is still in style, it's just moved with the times - I'm hearing of the latest subculture of e-boys/e-girls which I can link back to emo and scene cultures, which themselves link back to the goth movement in the first place. As for older goths... Well, they put it away and bring it out on special occasions. You learn to adapt and to blend. Mostly because society is widely youth orientated when it comes to the idea of subcultures so the idea of older goths becomes unthinkable in a way that does not necessarily apply to other subcultures - aging punks are allowed, aging goths are not. 

With regards to dolls... It's interesting to me to see these alternative style subcultures become integrated into the mainstream. Oh, it's only in small ways and I do believe there was a kick up in regards to a Fashionista having coloured streaks and an undercut, but it's still more than I ever personally saw growing up. It does lead to the question of do subcultures still exist in the public eye, or is it just some hodge-podge of looks that no one really understands? But sociological discussion doesn't really fit on a doll board and I wouldn't know where to start with making a balanced informed argument on either side of this one. 

(I still maintain that if BeGoths hadn't folded just before that first wave of Monster High came out, it could have found a brand new audience...)

(05-17-2020, 07:36 AM)Loona Wrote: Ah! A BeGoth! She is lovely, and I really like her hair! BeGoths are super underrated and overlooked... I remember when I first saw a picture of them, it was an avatar of someone on a subculture forum. My doll knowledge back then technically meant Barbie, the girl I had dolls of when I was a child, so I didn't even recognise her as a doll. Nor would I ever have thought she's actually a doll who was mass-produced and not individually customised. I remember how amused I was when I learned there was an actual doll line of edgy-looking goth girls. Wow.

Speaking of edgy, it is indeed weird how her features no longer come across as edgy as they did some time ago - but fashion and general observation has changed a lot in the past 10 years, and many things that have been considered edgy back then are now fashionable, sometimes even mainstream. I'm not surprised doll lines have also incorporated these features into the clothing and personalities of dolls.

Speaking of goth, I don't think it was ever really a big thing - at least not around here. I've been involved with the subculture (as a casual goth, never really edgy) for over 20 years now, and during this time I had so many labels stuck on me incorrectly by non-goths (Depeche Moder, satanist, Marilyn Mansonist, rocker, metalhead, emo, and most recently, hipster. Oh, and in general, a mourner), but never once did someone ask if I was a goth. I can't really blame these people, because the things listed were all things that got above a certain level of common knowledge/noticeability, and thus became terms more widely known, whereas goth never did. And speaking of that, the subculture isn't in an easy situation because aesthetics aside and music in focus, this as a genre can refer to so many things depending on the circumstances, time, place, etc. And I think to many in the subculture, music is really important - but will the fact that you are a goth necessarily mean you can start forming a notable subculture also musically? Well, not necessarily, because your goth friend apparently listens to something else that is also goth, but totally different... (the Wave Gothic Festival held annually in Germany is a great example of this. All performers can come under the umbrella of 'goth', and I have never heard of a third of them, cringe at another third, and the remaining third that I like is still coming from like... 20 different genres. When at the festival but not at a concert, it is quite difficult to meet another goth who will share the same taste in music as yours).

...and yeah, we got old too. At our/their late 30s-40s, many of my past subculture-friends have abandoned the looks or even the subculture completely, and if not, they have become moms and dads, which adds another level of difficulty when one wants to look and behave in a certain way. We do wonder with my husband and the handful of friends who still show up at parties and festivals where the next generation is - they aren't anywhere to be seen, at least locally.

I remember my first discovery of BeGoth dolls... I was visiting Forbidden Planet which, at the time, was my local comic book store and they always had cool collectibles in. I remember seeing these dolls on one of the higher shelves and finding them pretty cool. At the time, I didn't really have enough in the way of disposable income to by myself one, plus it was during those awkward years when people insist - if you're a girl, or at least in my ex.perience - that it's time to put away toys and grow up. ... That's a thing that merits a wider discussion - boys and their toy are accepted for a longer period of time than girls are socially 'allowed' to have an interest in similar things. Hm. 

It is interesting to see that the edgy has become common-place. Though granted, it's often a watered down version of edgy. Diluted edgy? I mean, we're never going to see a Barbie doll with something like a corset piercing (DO NOT LOOK UP IF OF SENSITIVE DISPOSITION) but we are getting more of those 'cool edgy' features. There will always be parents groups complaining about it though, so watered down is the best we'll get. 

I will point about for my semi rant on the aging of Goths and how it seems to be disallowed by society. Goths do still appear but in a way they're returned to being the oddball of the group. A UK soap as a Goth teen character in it and... yeah always called the freak or weirdo even by those who she's on good terms with in their age group. I despair of it. 

Even if I was always more punk than goth, the point stands! 

- - - 

138. G is for Goodness

[Image: 69732775_d8fdd5da5bd4d1025495e230561c6857_standard.jpg]

Glinda the Good, from the Barbie Wicked Signature line. Which was only ever Elphaba and Glinda which makes sense but a Fiyero would have been cool too. And Ido wish more care had been taken on her dress because it's the odd paper-y feeling fabric, which is not great considering the price point of her.

... And yet I still adore her and am glad to have her in my collection... 

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - Lejays17 - 05-17-2020

She’s loveky, but it’s a pity about the cheap “papery” feel of the dress on an ex-pensive collector item. You ex-pect the papery dresses to be found on the knock-off dolls found at the pound / dollar shop.