The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.7 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Dolly Market Forum
Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - Printable Version

+- Dolly Market Forum (https://forums.dollymarket.net)
+-- Forum: Doll and Art Galleries (https://forums.dollymarket.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=28277)
+--- Forum: Other Dolls/Figures (https://forums.dollymarket.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=28264)
+--- Thread: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 (/showthread.php?tid=7262685)

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - neon_jellyfish - 05-18-2020

I'm a crooked person, so the first thing that comes to mind when I'm looking at her is 'she's hiding some serious secrets behind that cheerful smile!'

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - davidd - 05-18-2020

(05-17-2020, 10:58 PM)werepuppy Wrote:
 But sociological discussion doesn't really fit on a doll board and I wouldn't know where to start with making a balanced informed argument on either side of this one. 

That's a thing that merits a wider discussion - boys and their toy are accepted for a longer period of time than girls are socially 'allowed' to have an interest in similar things. 

Sociological discussion absolutely fits on a doll board... as long as it's this doll board – one of the broadest ranging and most intellectually stimulating forums to which I've ever had the pleasure of belonging!

Might seem that way about "boys" to "girls." Speaking as a boy, to me it seems the opposite. For boys, even "action figures" still carry the "stigma" of being dolls and by the time you're nine you'd better be moving on to other things. For all kids, it seems the pressure to "grow up" has become so intense that the window of opportunity for enjoying and playing with toys has become extremely compressed. Another topic for sociological discussion!

The Barbie Wicked Signature Line should have included flying monkeys. A flying monkey Barbie would be wicked keen!

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - Alliecat - 05-18-2020

I suppose it depends on what the "toys" are. I mean, there are stereotypes & stigmas with some, but not others. Model railroading & model aircraft, as far as I know, are "cool" at any age, but dolls are not. Go figure. It's a pity that we lose so much of our capacity for imagination under that pressure to "grow up" and be "mature"(boring).

Glinda's very pretty. I like that combination of blue & blonde. Too bad about the dress, but I guess Groove aren't the only ones to use cheap materials on ex$pensive dolls.

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - werepuppy - 05-18-2020

(05-17-2020, 11:17 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: She’s loveky, but it’s a pity about the cheap “papery” feel of the dress on an ex-pensive collector item.  You ex-pect the papery dresses to be found on the knock-off dolls found at the pound / dollar shop.

I know - these dolls retailed at about £80 each, so I imagine if you paid that much for them you would end up feeling very angry at the cost cutting measures used for Glinda - especially considering Elphaba's stock outfit is so lovely. 

(05-18-2020, 01:51 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: I'm a crooked person, so the first thing that comes to mind when I'm looking at her is 'she's hiding some serious secrets behind that cheerful smile!'

Actually, you wouldn't be entirely wrong? In the scene where Glinda is wearing this iconic outfit, she is hiding the pain of having lost her dearest friend because the rest of Oz considers Elphaba to be an evil being. Glinda knows different but... she can't say. So, there you go. You're absolutely right. 

(05-18-2020, 03:58 AM)davidd Wrote: Sociological discussion absolutely fits on a doll board... as long as it's this doll board – one of the broadest ranging and most intellectually stimulating forums to which I've ever had the pleasure of belonging!

Might seem that way about "boys" to "girls." Speaking as a boy, to me it seems the opposite. For boys, even "action figures" still carry the "stigma" of being dolls and by the time you're nine you'd better be moving on to other things. For all kids, it seems the pressure to "grow up" has become so intense that the window of opportunity for enjoying and playing with toys has become extremely compressed. Another topic for sociological discussion!

The Barbie Wicked Signature Line should have included flying monkeys. A flying monkey Barbie would be wicked keen!

You're not wrong there, there are a more wide range on topics on these boards, from the most easily related to dolls or figures, to ones that are just spun off of comments made here and there.

It's interesting - they say we're in an age of an extended childhood, but at the same time there's clear evidence to suggest that children themselves feel forced to mature at a faster rate than they did less than a generation ago. Well, no, sorry, not less than a generation ago. Before the widespread capability of home internet. This is not a technology is evil rant, it's just a fact. Growing up with half your time spent online seems to have created a rate of false maturity that is... Not exactly the best to see. 

(This is why the blind box fad was so ever present - children are online at younger ages, which means you need to find a new way to present toys to them. Unboxing videos are always oddly popular, so why not tie into that?)

Ooh that would have been very cool - the stage flying monkeys have a good design to them! 

(05-18-2020, 05:38 AM)Alliecat Wrote: I suppose it depends on what the "toys" are.  I mean, there are stereotypes & stigmas with some, but not others.  Model railroading & model aircraft, as far as I know, are "cool" at any age, but dolls are not.  Go figure.  It's a pity that we lose so much of our capacity for imagination under that pressure to "grow up" and be "mature"(boring).

Glinda's very pretty.  I like that combination of blue & blonde.  Too bad about the dress, but I guess Groove aren't the only ones to use cheap materials on ex$pensive dolls.

The C.S. Lewis quote comes to mind: “When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

Or perhaps the Doctor's words fit better: “There’s no point in being grown up if you can’t act a little childish sometimes.”

It is annoying to find you spend good money on a doll, and the company itself decided to cut costs in how they made it, but didn't lower the price. I am just really, really glad I got Glinda on a discount. 

- - - 

139. H is for Hunter

[Image: 69774149_07a20e17d872299fcb38deb3709be4ea_standard.jpg]

Arguably probably the best design wise of the boys released in EAH. Though mine has a stain across his forehead that I have no idea where it came from, and his hair is very greasy... Glue head affects so many Mattel playline releases

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - Lejays17 - 05-18-2020

I love that Dr Who quote, it's one of my 3 favourites!
The others are: Sleep? Sleep is for tortoises! (4th Dr to Leela in Talons of Weng-Chiang)
And: Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority. (2nd Dr to Zoe in The Wheel in Space).

Hunter's release was great - his outfit is so cool, especially the hooded-vest-jacket-thingy. And his boots!

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - neon_jellyfish - 05-18-2020

EAH boy dolls never really caught my fancy (their smiles look a little too brainless to me), but I always liked the characters. It was the same with MH boys. Hunter is cool. I always liked how he's clumsy and adorkable, but also reliable and honest has something he's good at.

I really liked Sparrow's design in the webisodes, and wished they made a doll, but then they released Daring, The Prince of Plastic Everything and I wished for Sparrow no more...

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - davidd - 05-19-2020

That large, deep hood has a Jedi look about it. Now I want to see Hunter posed with a light sabre.

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - Elfy - 05-19-2020

Nice to see an EAH boy, they never get much love.

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - Alliecat - 05-19-2020

I wonder if a Magic Eraser would work on his stain?
My favourite quote along those lines is George Bernard Shaw, "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - werepuppy - 05-19-2020

(05-18-2020, 10:44 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: I love that Dr Who quote, it's one of my 3 favourites!
The others are:  Sleep?  Sleep is for tortoises! (4th Dr to Leela in Talons of Weng-Chiang)
And: Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority. (2nd Dr to Zoe in The Wheel in Space).

Hunter's release was great - his outfit is so cool, especially the hooded-vest-jacket-thingy.  And his boots!

Doctor Who has so many great quotes - well, you would hope so after nearly 60 years of being a thing! 

I keep thinking I should buy a spare of Hunter's stock because it is brilliant. 

(05-18-2020, 11:13 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: EAH boy dolls never really caught my fancy (their smiles look a little too brainless to me), but I always liked the characters. It was the same with MH boys. Hunter is cool. I always liked how he's clumsy and adorkable, but also reliable and honest has something he's good at.

I really liked Sparrow's design in the webisodes, and wished they made a doll, but then they released Daring, The Prince of Plastic Everything and I wished for Sparrow no more...

Sparrow would have been one of my top choices for a release and with his hairstyle - as much as I would have preferred otherwise - the plastic hair would have worked. Daring was just... disappointing in so many ways. 

(05-19-2020, 02:35 AM)davidd Wrote: That large, deep hood has a Jedi look about it. Now I want to see Hunter posed with a light sabre.

I'll look around for the right one to pose with him. 

(05-19-2020, 08:10 AM)Elfy Wrote: Nice to see an EAH boy, they never get much love.

I think a lot of it comes down to the boys just not having as dynamic designs as the girls. Alistair is one of the ones who jumps to mind - design in the web-series was fun, in the doll it was bland. 

(05-19-2020, 04:41 PM)Alliecat Wrote: I wonder if a Magic Eraser would work on his stain?
My favourite quote along those lines is George Bernard Shaw, "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Ooh, now there's a thought. I might need to try to get one, but it's a thought! 

And that's a great quote as well! 

- - - 

140. I is for Interest

[Image: 69821036_044f6d881ac51a86ba0252e53bc4d72d_standard.jpg]

There's a newcomer in the Room that seems to have caught Monday's eye...

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - neon_jellyfish - 05-20-2020

BTS is stealing Addams girls' hearts! Except for Wednesday. I can't imagine that happening.

Jung Kook's outfit is rather cool!

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - davidd - 05-20-2020

Apparently she has a thing for men in uniforms. Men in red uniforms.

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - Alliecat - 05-20-2020

Uh oh. He could be stirring up quite a bit of the dynamics of the Room.
I don't know who this is...?, but, he looks interesting.

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - werepuppy - 05-20-2020

(05-20-2020, 02:39 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: BTS is stealing Addams girls' hearts! Except for Wednesday. I can't imagine that happening.

Jung Kook's outfit is rather cool!

The outfit was the draw to the doll if I'm honest...

Nah, they don't have the right level of chaotic energy for Wednesday's interest. ... Probably better for them. 

(05-20-2020, 11:13 AM)davidd Wrote: Apparently she has a thing for men in uniforms. Men in red uniforms.

Red is such a wonderful colour, the colour of blood, one of her favourite things. Or she's just bored with playing with Gaston now... 

(05-20-2020, 04:05 PM)Alliecat Wrote: Uh oh.  He could be stirring up quite a bit of the dynamics of the Room.
I don't know who this is...?, but, he looks interesting.

Unintentionally, at least at first.

You're in luck! Here's a closer look at him! 

- - - 

141. J is for Jungkook

[Image: 69865794_75e1764d80beeb2637dc016c4b1b44d0_standard.jpg]

Arrival date: 17th April 2020

Google is telling me that's how the name is spelled, btw. So! Another BTS doll. I don't even like the band, tbh, I just found the outfit on this guy pretty awesome and thought it might work for someone else. His price dropped really low on Amazon, so I picked him up. Outfit did not work on someone else, so he gets to keep it and I'll develop a character for him at some point. I mean, plenty of these idol singers end up as actors so... yeah. 

This is one of the Prestige dolls and if you can get them cheaper than their asking price, go for it, even if it's just to grab outfit pieces - they'll fit MH and EAH. MULTI LAYERED PIECES. A full sleeved shirt! 

Worth the cost for that alone.

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - neon_jellyfish - 05-20-2020

That outfit is really great! I don't mind BTS, I even like a few of their songs (some have good tempo and rhythm for workout), but if they're going to be part of the Room, that will definitely be my favorite thing about the band.