The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.7 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Dolly Market Forum
Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - Printable Version

+- Dolly Market Forum (https://forums.dollymarket.net)
+-- Forum: Doll and Art Galleries (https://forums.dollymarket.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=28277)
+--- Forum: Other Dolls/Figures (https://forums.dollymarket.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=28264)
+--- Thread: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 (/showthread.php?tid=7262685)

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - davidd - 09-07-2020

(09-06-2020, 09:43 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote:  And to include U, I'm going to compliment's Mot's ultramarine hair!

Always upping the ante, aren't you?   LOL

Very well: Sid and Mot appear to be ultracrepidating about Marnie's great uivigar of a gun-hand.

(Yes, I cheated and used a thesaurus.  Tongue  Yes, the Czech-speaker wins this round in the English language contest.  yay )

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - Alliecat - 09-07-2020

I’m curious whether your Andrassy’s belt shows any deterioration. Mine’s is disintegrating. Irritated

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - Lejays17 - 09-07-2020

It's only unbelievable if you've never seen her do it before. Otherwise, it's perfectly believable.

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - werepuppy - 09-07-2020

(09-06-2020, 09:43 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: I for one find it very believable! And to include U, I'm going to compliment's Mot's ultramarine hair!

Mot thanks you. I think they find it unbelievable because it is not a thing they have ever seen before and while tech is fairly advanced in their time, as far as they know, humanoid robots aren't built with weaponry... 

(09-07-2020, 11:42 AM)davidd Wrote: Always upping the ante, aren't you?   LOL 

Very well: Sid and Mot appear to be ultracrepidating about Marnie's great uivigar of a gun-hand.

(Yes, I cheated and used a thesaurus.  Tongue  Yes, the Czech-speaker wins this round in the English language contest.  yay )

Man, the amount of times I need to double check for words other than the ones I consistently use... especially for Ophelia, romantic linguist that she is, verging slightly on the purple prose. 

I will admit, the gun-hand thing is pretty cool, though I prefer not using it a lot. 

(09-07-2020, 03:30 PM)Alliecat Wrote: I’m curious whether your Andrassy’s belt shows any deterioration. Mine’s is disintegrating.  Irritated

Not as yet, but I haven't touched my Andrassy stock at all since I took her out of her box. As she was, she was the perfect Mot for me. I suspect it will start doing so sooner than later, so am trying to find the right material to make a spare belt. Generally though, of my bohemians, Sid is the one who generally gets her kit messed with. I'm trying to find the right things. 

I do wonder at companies constantly using material we all know will disintegrate for dolls that are aimed at collectors and not children. I suppose the look of it must be preferable for a little while than not at all. 

(09-07-2020, 05:21 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: It's only unbelievable if you've never seen her do it before.  Otherwise, it's perfectly believable.

Exactly that. They'd never seen her do it before. 

- - - 

251. V is for Vintage

[Image: 74434928_798bbc89c0f43f5399882f97e77aa858_standard.jpg]

Which is why I tried to make the photo look vintage... Ah well, I decided to showcase my 1984 (I think) Pedigree Sindy here as toys from the 80s are now vintage. Toys from the 90s are also vintage, too, and that throws me off a bit. Sindy is wearing a Faerie Glen dress which I really do like on her. I keep watching eBay to see if I can grab another Pedigree Sindy - one of these days I'll manage it. 

What does stand out as interesting to me now is that Sindy - and her American cousin, Tammy - both had larger heads than other fashion dolls of their time. Perhaps a front-runner of things to come...? Still, the face is sweet, and it's easy to understand why she was so popular. No word on those collector line ones actually...

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - neon_jellyfish - 09-07-2020

Vintage cutie! The photo looks authentic, too!

I hope you'll be able to find another one soon.

When I compare the state of my 90s Barbies with my 2010 MH, it makes me sad, the new dolls seem to be falling apart much faster. I hope that things made to last will become a trend again, I understand the wish to sell as much stuff as possible, but this isn't sustainable.

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - dargosmydaddy - 09-08-2020

She's cute! I like her slightly skeptical ex.pression smile

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - davidd - 09-08-2020

I have come to find Pedigree Sindy quite charming largely due to the influence of one of my Flickr contacts, CooperSky, who has a most entertaining Sindy doll account, full of hilarious yet informative captions and all manner of sarcasm, satire, and all-round good fun: https://www.flickr.com/photos/135742756@N07/

The side-eye Sindys have such a knowing ex-pression. They seem to look upon the world with wry amusement tinged with incredulity.

And if Sindy had a gun-hand you know she'd use it!

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - Elfy - 09-08-2020

Looks like a vintage doll to me.

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - werepuppy - 09-08-2020

(09-07-2020, 09:53 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Vintage cutie! The photo looks authentic, too!

I hope you'll be able to find another one soon.

When I compare the state of my 90s Barbies with my 2010 MH, it makes me sad, the new dolls seem to be falling apart much faster. I hope that things made to last will become a trend again, I understand the wish to sell as much stuff as possible, but this isn't sustainable.

It is quite sad to see that dolls - toys in general - do not seem to be built to last, the way they might have been a few decades ago. I know there's a faster market, and that dolls are generally aimed younger now than they were (though I would say that the LOL OMG dolls have actually helped to see a slight rise in popularity of late) but it feels like if you're aiming younger, you'd want to make dolls that can handle rougher play. And yet. 

Is it something in the manufacturing, or just cost cutting methods? I really don't know. It's not to say these older dolls are perfect but... Well I have a couple of older dolls that still look relatively new. It's just interesting.

(09-08-2020, 12:22 AM)dargosmydaddy Wrote: She's cute! I like her slightly skeptical ex.pression smile

Hee, thank you! I think the Pedigree faces are very cute. The Hasbro faces - before they went Barbie like - are also quite cute, but for a lot of people Pedigree wins out. I actually prefer Pedigree and I grew up in the era where Sindy looked a lot more like Barbie than she ever did, so it says something about their appeal. 

(Also her stuff wasn't all bright pink so it makes looking for doll furniture a bit more fun.)

(09-08-2020, 05:17 AM)davidd Wrote: I have come to find Pedigree Sindy quite charming largely due to the influence of one of my Flickr contacts, CooperSky, who has a most entertaining Sindy doll account, full of hilarious yet informative captions and all manner of sarcasm, satire, and all-round good fun: https://www.flickr.com/photos/135742756@N07/

The side-eye Sindy's have such a knowing ex-pression. They seem to look upon the world with wry amusement tinged with incredulity.

And if Sindy had a gun-hand you know she'd use it!

Ahhh, yes I follow them as well and their photos are fantastic! I love the Sindy vs Barbie photoshoot that happened, it was very fun to see. I would quite like to see a Pedigree Sindy with a more vintage looking Barbie... I wonder if I can find a posh enough dress for Sindy to join the Ladies Who Lunch...

Ha, that's an odd hilarious image.

(09-08-2020, 03:58 PM)Elfy Wrote: Looks like a vintage doll to me.

Ahhh, thank you! 

- - - 

252. W is for Wife

[Image: 74475376_3bc845b6b64d6ed33bcd6905f2853d89_standard.jpg]

Divinity here, in a black wedding gown, Why does she get 'wife'? Because according to her original profile card, she is the bride of Thor. Room Thor insists he's never been married... there will be shenanigans

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - davidd - 09-08-2020

Bride of Thor Heyerdahl, maybe, which could ex-plain why Thor built himself a raft and sailed away across the ocean.

Divinity's romantic goth style is putting me in a holiday mood; for the Hallowe'en holiday.

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - Loona - 09-09-2020

Wife's face-up reminds me of someone I know and like. Black wedding gowns, on the other hand, remind me of high school memories I do not like. My classmates used to pick on me for wearing black, and they rented a black wedding dress for me (behind my back) for our prom (not sure how this goes in other countries, but here final year students traditionally perform a waltz, the girls dressed in white wedding dresses). It was definitely not funny, and not something I wanted. I never liked to stand out, for me wearing black was never about that. Luckily I had a white dress rented too, so I wore that. I'd like to say I'd be interested to see the classmates' faces when they get to know that now, 20 years later, I still wear black (and my actual wedding dress was white Tongue )  - but I can't, because I couldn't care less about them. I decided not to as soon as we graduated. Staying at that school, among that toxic group of people, is one of the very few things I'd change if I had a chance to go back in time.

I laughed out loud at the part about Thor - I cannot wait to see what shenanigans might come out of the situation.

@Alliecat, my Julie's belt seems to be doing OK at its main part (the part around her hip), but the dangling bit is definitely disintegrating. Disappointing, but sadly usual considering Groove's pleather quality.

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - Alliecat - 09-09-2020

(09-07-2020, 09:10 PM)werepuppy Wrote: ... toys from the 80s are now vintage. Toys from the 90s are also vintage, too,...
This is depressing slash
Everything's made cheaper & not to last. In a dull moment at work today, was discussing veggie/rice steamers with someone & the fact that we've both been through about 3 of them; the plastic basket parts don't last (mine currently includes copper wire & duct tape). I said I wanted a stainless steel one, but that would mean people wouldn't have to buy as many, which is what they want you to do... Probably similar with toys. Throwaway society.
This is also depressing...
Anyway, Sindy's cute; some of those vintage dolls are quite fun.

(09-08-2020, 09:59 PM)davidd Wrote: Bride of Thor Heyerdahl, maybe, which could ex-plain why Thor built himself a raft and sailed away across the ocean.
Win!
xp LOL

Loona, glad you could ditch the influence of the high school jerks. I went to a toxic school too. Those kids would make fun of any possible thing. And yes, after high school they are not relevant or worth the mental effort to think about.

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - Lejays17 - 09-09-2020

I love the vintage effect on the Sindy - it looks like the faded/discoloured photos from the 80s.

And the comment about Thor Heyerdahl made me laugh too.

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - neon_jellyfish - 09-09-2020

She's so beautiful! I wonder about how will that go in the Room - will she give up or will Thor give in...

RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - werepuppy - 09-09-2020

(09-08-2020, 09:59 PM)davidd Wrote: Bride of Thor Heyerdahl, maybe, which could ex-plain why Thor built himself a raft and sailed away across the ocean.

Divinity's romantic goth style is putting me in a holiday mood; for the Hallowe'en holiday.

Ha! Such a great reference! 

Ahh Hallowe'en, the best time of year. Get out your mood setting movies and enjoy! (I have a pile to get through, must do them alphabetically.)

(09-09-2020, 06:59 AM)Loona Wrote: Wife's face-up reminds me of someone I know and like. Black wedding gowns, on the other hand, remind me of high school memories I do not like. My classmates used to pick on me for wearing black, and they rented a black wedding dress for me (behind my back) for our prom (not sure how this goes in other countries, but here final year students traditionally perform a waltz, the girls dressed in white wedding dresses). It was definitely not funny, and not something I wanted. I never liked to stand out, for me wearing black was never about that. Luckily I had a white dress rented too, so I wore that. I'd like to say I'd be interested to see the classmates' faces when they get to know that now, 20 years later, I still wear black (and my actual wedding dress was white Tongue )  - but I can't, because I couldn't care less about them. I decided not to as soon as we graduated. Staying at that school, among that toxic group of people, is one of the very few things I'd change if I had a chance to go back in time.

Okay, so we do not have a thing like that here and I'm sorry that they treated you like that. 

High school is a terrible time in general. But still, very sorry. 

(09-09-2020, 01:17 PM)Alliecat Wrote: This is depressing slash
Everything's made cheaper & not to last.  In a dull moment at work today, was discussing veggie/rice steamers with someone & the fact that we've both been through about 3 of them; the plastic basket parts don't last (mine currently includes copper wire & duct tape).  I said I wanted a stainless steel one, but that would mean people wouldn't have to buy as many, which is what they want you to do...  Probably similar with toys.  Throwaway society.
This is also depressing...
Anyway, Sindy's cute; some of those vintage dolls are quite fun.

And in times like this I think of Sam Vimes' Boots theory of socio-economics - the rich stay rich as they have the money to buy the higher cost item that will last longer, whereas the poor have to buy the lower cost item that will need replaced within x amount of time.

Also: looks at Mot's belt a little closer - the dangling bit is starting to peel. Hm,.

Vintage dolls are always fun to look up - I like especially seeing the overall fashion doll looks since Barbie's introduction - the sheer amount of different styles is amazing. 

(09-09-2020, 05:21 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: I love the vintage effect on the Sindy - it looks like the faded/discoloured photos from the 80s.

Ahhh thank you, I was really trying to get that effect. 

(09-09-2020, 07:18 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: She's so beautiful! I wonder about how will that go in the Room - will she give up or will Thor give in...

At the moment, it could go either way. He is insistent she is not his wife, as he has taken no bride... 

- - - 

253. X is for (e)Xhausted

[Image: 74511895_31acf93afca4d35276845f061758b401_standard.jpg]

"Look how fast I can go! Are you looking? You need to look! I bet you can't go this fast. I'm the fastest ever!" 
"..."
"Come on, you need to run too! Lots of speed. Like this, let me show you!" 
"..."

L is wondering why this little one seems to like him...