The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.7 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Dolly Market Forum
davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - Printable Version

+- Dolly Market Forum (https://forums.dollymarket.net)
+-- Forum: Doll and Art Galleries (https://forums.dollymarket.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=28277)
+--- Forum: Other Dolls/Figures (https://forums.dollymarket.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=28264)
+--- Thread: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 (/showthread.php?tid=7262691)

RE: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - Alliecat - 04-10-2020

(04-10-2020, 10:57 AM)Elfy Wrote: Do the Pegasi also get their own day?
This "Pegasus Day" is probably not what you had in mind. LOL
https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-01-25/horse-racing-newsletter-pegasus-day-is-here

RE: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - Elfy - 04-10-2020

(04-10-2020, 11:47 AM)Alliecat Wrote:
(04-10-2020, 10:57 AM)Elfy Wrote: Do the Pegasi also get their own day?
This "Pegasus Day" is probably not what you had in mind.  LOL
https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-01-25/horse-racing-newsletter-pegasus-day-is-here

No, the only proper Pegasi have wings.

RE: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - davidd - 04-11-2020

I purchased this circa 1996 G.I. Joe "Classic Collection" Australian Operational Deployment Force (O.D.F.) figure via eBay last week, and it arrived today:

[Image: april10.jpg]
10 April – Hasbro GI Joe Classic Collection (1996)
Australian Operational Deployment Force (O.D.F.) Action Figure

Price: $24 USD shipped for an almost 25 year old "limited edition" mint in box action figure.

The intent, the plan if you will, behind this purchase was that I was buying this figure for the uniform and accessories. I've been looking at Joe-scale backpacks online, and a single backpack sells for around twelve dollars. I realized that for twice the price I could get a fully dressed, mint in box figure with the backpack, a hat, a uniform, and various cool kit. I had already purchased one of these figures a couple of years ago, and I've since used the uniform and accessories for other figures and other purposes.

But today the guy... note the shift in terminology, "guy" rather than "figure"... arrived. I found myself looking at the date on the box: 1996 Limited Edition. I peered through the scuffed plastic at this soldier, poised for action, as he has been for a quarter century, and I began eksperiencing a rush of mixed and muddled thoughts and emotions.

Cool uniform. Cool gear. Cool hat. This stuff will look great on X or Y or Z figure!

But then: twenty-five years! This figure... shifting back to "figure" terminology again... has been kept mint in box for a quarter century! Who am I to open up a box that has been carefully saved for twenty-five years? This boxed figure is almost a relic, a historical artifact. Each one that is opened means one fewer unopened example in the world! Who knows how many are left?

And then: look at this guy! Poised for action! Waiting on high alert for twenty-five years, ready for adventure, ready to be played with! He's a toy, an action figure, not a collectible. He... a guy, not "it" as a "figure" or "collectible"... is ready to spring out of this box and kick up some dust!

But... the label on the box says "Classic Collection: Limited Edition," so maybe this figure is a collectible rather than a toy.

Nah... it's just a toy, a crummy modern (as opposed to the classic GI Joe design) action figure. Scavenge the uniform bits and chuck the funky body in to a storage bin or something.

But... but... look at this guy! Twenty-five years he's been waiting, waiting to... waiting to play! Waiting to do GI JOE stuff!

And it's not his fault that he was born manufactured with a modern GI Joe style body rather than a classic 1960s-1970s style body. He's still a GI Joe!

I started thinking about this quarantine we're all under, everywhere in the world it seems, with no end in sight. We're all trapped, like this GI Joe guy, our our lives on hold, being denied our basic liberties, being denied our rights (at least here in the States) to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

There is nothing in the US Constitution or Bill of Rights about the government being authorized to take away the most basic civil and human rights because of a perceived threat from an illness. We, The People, are supposed to be out and about, pursuing happiness to the best of our abilities, while living a life of liberty, free from the shackles of tyranny.

And GI Joe, along with his International brother in arms Action Man, was never meant to spend his life locked away in a box. Locked down in a box.

So this guy will be released from his box... as soon as I snap a few decent pics of the packaging. And... he will get to keep his uniform! Nope, not gonna strip this fellow for parts. He's waited patiently for far too long to suffer such an ignominious fate. Adventure awaits... on the land, on the sea, and in the air!

Oh, and... HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME... a few days late!

No, it's not my birthday, per se. Rather, as of five days ago I have been a member of the Dolly Market Forum for ten years!

I can scarcely believe I have been here that long! It certainly does not feel like I've been here for a decade. I still think of myself as being one of the newer members.

The first several years I was a member I rarely posted. I think I joined because people from Pinky-Street and Dollie Mixtures were here, and those forums were beginning to slow down. This seemed like a very Pullip-centric forum back then, and while I had a few Pullips, they were not really my primary interest, and I definitely lacked the depth of Pullip or other doll knowledge that the members here demonstrated.

But over time, as the other forums slowed down and eventually folded, I began checking in more often. I started posting and interacting. It seemed to me that as the active membership declined the forum became a little more free-wheeling and fun. No drama at all, despite (or perhaps because of) a lack of visible moderation or administration. Just people having fun with dolls, all kinds of dolls; lots of Pullips, as it should be, but a wide variety of other dollies, too.

And the longer I've been here, the more fun and interesting and entertaining Dolly Market has become.

It certainly doesn't feel like I've been here for ten years. Time flies when you're having fun, I guess!

RE: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - Alliecat - 04-11-2020

(04-11-2020, 01:06 PM)davidd Wrote: ... look at this guy! Poised for action! Waiting on high alert for twenty-five years, ready for adventure, ready to be played with! He's a toy, an action figure, not a collectible. He... a guy, not "it" as a "figure" or "collectible"... is ready to spring out of this box and kick up some dust!
... He's waited patiently for far too long to suffer such an ignominious fate. Adventure awaits... on the land, on the sea, and in the air!
Yaaaaassss! Open the box!!!! grin Yay!!!
They are meant to be had-fun-with and zero fun in a box!
Looking forward to seeing how he fits in with your crew, and glad you decided not to leave him locked up.

And yeah, you need to change the "n00b" part. Happy 10th Forumversary to you smile

RE: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - Elfy - 04-11-2020

Glad to see that he has the proper Aussie slouch hat with the brim pinned up on one side.

RE: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - neon_jellyfish - 04-11-2020

I'm very glad that G.I. Joe will be released from quarantine!

And happy anniversary! Hey, according to Member List, we joined the forums on the same day, just 8 years apart! I guess I'll be making a double-feature poster next year LOL

RE: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - werepuppy - 04-11-2020

Figures are meant to breathe (says she who does have a couple she's kept in the box. I know, I'm a hypocrite.) Collectible figures - especially from the 90s - were more often designed to be properly displayed than kept in a box, so I am fully behind you doing that! It will be fun to see the guy being able to spring into action.

Happy Forum Anniversary!

RE: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - Lejays17 - 04-11-2020

Happy Forum Birthday!

And yay for freeing the Aussie from the box, he’s been patiently waiting all this time to do so.

RE: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - davidd - 04-12-2020

[Image: april11.jpg]
11 April – GI Joe Escapes from his Carton after 25 Years

I wonder how long it will take the rest of us to escape from house arrest???

RE: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - Elfy - 04-12-2020

Man on a mission there.

RE: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - neon_jellyfish - 04-12-2020

Yaaay!

What was the first thing he wanted to do after being freed? If it was finally going to bathroom, what was the next thing?

RE: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - Lejays17 - 04-12-2020

Yay for freedom! He's very intent on something there!

RE: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - werepuppy - 04-12-2020

Joe is definitely on the hunt for something there...

RE: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - davidd - 04-13-2020

[Image: april12a.jpg]
12 April – Junior Astronaut Barbie

Barbie is helping out with the Quarantine20 Scavenger Hunt, and managed to find this 1960s era Junior Astronauts pinback button.

RE: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - neon_jellyfish - 04-13-2020

Vintage awesomeness! The pin is super fun and that Babs is just gorgeous!