The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.7 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Dolly Market Forum
davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - Printable Version

+- Dolly Market Forum (https://forums.dollymarket.net)
+-- Forum: Doll and Art Galleries (https://forums.dollymarket.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=28277)
+--- Forum: Other Dolls/Figures (https://forums.dollymarket.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=28264)
+--- Thread: davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 (/showthread.php?tid=7264216)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

RE: davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - davidd - 02-20-2023

19 February - A Doll A Day 2023:

[Image: february19.jpg]
Pulp Sci-Fi Magazine Style Space Babe

RE: davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - Alliecat - 02-20-2023

Elves in space??
New photostory?
I hope she doesn't have to go do any work on the hull... she doesn't seem quite, um, suited for vacuum LOL

RE: davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - davidd - 02-21-2023

(02-20-2023, 06:36 PM)Alliecat Wrote: I hope she doesn't have to go do any work on the hull... she doesn't seem quite, um, suited for vacuum  LOL

She takes her style cues from 1950s sci-fi magazine covers: Future Science Fiction - November 1950

20 February - A Doll a Day 2023:

[Image: february20.jpg]
Random Workbench Photo

RE: davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - Alliecat - 02-21-2023

(02-21-2023, 02:05 PM)davidd Wrote: She takes her style cues from 1950s sci-fi magazine covers: Future Science Fiction - November 1950
LOL

At least one of the Pinkys is cooking up ideas about what to do with all those big heavy shells!

RE: davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - davidd - 02-22-2023

21 February - A Doll A Day 2023:

[Image: february21.jpg]
Action figures acting all serious and stuff,
pretending they're more than mere toys.

RE: davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - Alliecat - 02-22-2023

Nice. Very realistic smile

RE: davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - davidd - 02-23-2023

22 February - A Doll A Day 2023:

[Image: february22.jpg]
Doll Doll Photography Photography

RE: davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - Alliecat - 02-23-2023

With all the different-size characters you have, you could do quite a chain of dolls playing with dolls playing with dolls etc.... LOL

RE: davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - davidd - 02-24-2023

(02-23-2023, 10:55 AM)Alliecat Wrote: With all the different-size characters you have, you could do quite a chain of dolls playing with dolls playing with dolls etc...

That would be an interesting eksperiment! I shall keep the idea in mind!

23 February - A Doll A Day 2023:

Today's post illustrates what I wish The Dolly Market Forum, or even The Dal House, were more like.

The Pinky-Street forum used to be like this.

By "like this," here's what I mean: a few days ago I posted a pic here on my A Doll A Day topic, and I also posted it to a couple of the Action Figure forums.

This pic:

[Image: february21.jpg]
Action figures acting all serious and stuff,
pretending they're more than mere toys.

On the action figure forum, one of the members responded by posting this:

[Image: 52697172489_41cf340903_b.jpg]

I responded with this:

[Image: not_talking_to_you.jpg]

Which in turn was met with:

[Image: 52704128375_f1448a886c_b.jpg]

A response was called for, obviously, so:

[Image: baffin1.jpg]

[Image: baffin2.jpg]

[Image: baffin3.jpg]

[Image: baffin4.jpg]

[Image: baffin5b.jpg]

[Image: baffin6.jpg]

[Image: baffin7.jpg]

Which resulted in this:

[Image: 52705896729_18c07d1bfd_b.jpg]

And as it stands at present, this:

[Image: baffin8.jpg]

[Image: baffin9.jpg]

[Image: baffin10.jpg]

See what you're missing by sticking with a stodgy doll forum?

You'd think doll forums would be even more fun than action figure forums; or at least, I'd think that, because doll collectors tend to have a wider variety of figures and are more open-minded when it comes to different types of dolls and figures.

But no... the interactive multi-figure doll and figure fun happens on an action figure forum.

Kinda sad, really.

RE: davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - Alliecat - 02-24-2023

That looks like so much fun. I don’t know really what happened to everybody here because participation had already dropped before the glitches got bad. I wish we had that level of engagement here. I know people get busy; I guess many have lost interest. Some are only interested in doing their own thing and a lot are just doing everything on Facebook.
I would love to advertise there for new members, but that would require the forum be up and working properly with people able to register, and an owner who cared enough to visit now and then. Insert old rant.
Anyway, the series of pictures was fun. Dolls playing with dolls is a hoot.

RE: davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - davidd - 02-25-2023

24 February - A Doll A Day 2023:

[Image: february24.jpg]
24 February - A Doll A Day 2023

RE: davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - Alliecat - 02-25-2023

Looks like a flashback from Hawaii.
Another lucky "trash" find, or a purchase?

RE: davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - davidd - 02-26-2023

(02-25-2023, 02:44 PM)Alliecat Wrote: Looks like a flashback from Hawaii.
Another lucky "trash" find, or a purchase?

The pic has a "Hawaii vibe," yes; and left me feeling nostalgic.

This tiki figure is solid concrete, and was a hybrid find-purchase. Neighbors up the street are getting ready to sell their house, so they've been putting things out by the curbside with a "free or $5 donation" sign. I spotted two carved wooden tiki figures on their discard pile, about 10 inches tall, the exact kind that the carvers sell at the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet or at the International Marketplace in Waikiki. The carvings were very weathered and grey, obviously having been left outside for a number of years, but there was no decay, and I was quite excited. Those carvings sold for forty to fifty dollars apiece back when I first went to Hawaii. The woman who lives in the house came out when she saw me looking at the tikis. I asked her if they were five dollars apiece. She said no, five dollars for one item or as many as I wanted. Then she said, "if you like those, I have another one over here," and she led me to the 24-inch tall one sitting beside the garage. I was well familiar with this concrete tiki. I looked at it every time I passed the house all last winter, and again this season. So I scored three  tikis for five bucks.

I oiled up the dry grey wood carvings. They slurped up several coats of wood stain and look much happier now, although I must admit, they looked kind of cool when they were dry and weathered. I wasn't eggspecting them to become so dark, but they absorbed so much medium tint oil stain that they are now almost black.

The moral of the story: covet thy neighbor's tikis and they shall become thine!   yay

You can see one of the wooden tiki carvings in today's Pic o' th' Day:

25 February - A Doll A Day 2023:

[Image: february25.jpg]
Precursor to Unboxing: Pirate Costume Barbie & Ken in a Nautical Setting

RE: davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - Alliecat - 02-26-2023

Kupanaha! You got a deal, brah! LOL
That's so cool that she gave you the big one as well. I wouldn't have guessed it was concrete. And whatever the little one looked like when it was "weathered", it looks great now. I wanna see the other one!

My little Kanaloa is "hapa-wood", and whatever the other half is, is maybe responsible for its having warped significantly -- it's bent and leaning way forward now. Dunno if there's anything I could do that would straighten it.
(And they are still $40+, at least on Etsy.)

RE: davidd's A DOLL A DAY 2023 - davidd - 02-27-2023

(02-26-2023, 01:31 PM)Alliecat Wrote: My little Kanaloa is "hapa-wood"....

If I recall correctly, when I asked the carvers what wood they were working with, the answers were usually hau, milo, or ōhia (monkeypod). I suspect the carvings I have are milo, since they became so dark after staining. Hau tends to be lighter in color... although not always. Monkeypod often, but not always, has a variety of shades in the grain.

26 February - A Doll A Day 2023:

[Image: february26.jpeg]
The Pirates Come One Step Closer to Staging an Escape from Their Packaging