Werepuppy's (Attempt At) Doll-A-Day 2019!
He's very sure of his model pose there :O

And nice that he's got a matching top with his friend.
My Girls: Alice Mint du Jardine (Lottie), Brand New Purrezza (Amelia), Ayanamei Rei (Evie), Princess Ann/Roman Holiday (Kit), Aquel (Becky), Scarlet (Izzy), Meg (Jo-Meg), Laura (Antimony), Nahh-Ato (Shala), Chicca (Maeve), Peter Pan (Meredith), VeryBerryPop (Daisy), SDCC2016 Wonder Woman (Diana), Taffy (Tansy), Amelia (Beatrice), Steampunk Cheshire Cat (Antoinette), Arietta (Ashli), Naoko (Zoey), Mocha MIO (Nyxie), Steampunk Mad Hatter (Hattie), Sapphire Princess Knight (Roni), Steampunk Alice (Lizette), Asoka Sorayu (Nova), Steampunk Taeyang Dodo (Theodore), Steampunk Isul White Rabbit (Finn), Tiphona (Felicity), Anthy Himemiya (Ester), Mocha MIO (honey), Alte (Bethan)
(03-03-2019, 02:09 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Aww, matching tops! That's so cute. And he definitely has that 'model look' down to a fine art!

They're such dorks, honestly. And yeah, Jack knows how to show himself off. Little poser.

(03-03-2019, 11:24 AM)kadytheredpanda Wrote: I love learning about foreign dolls. Sindy looks great.

Also, that Star Wars fabric is cute.

Yeah, the earlier Sindys were really cute. Also, thank you! I liked the fabric a lot and it's why I was determined to use it instead of just throwing it out.

(03-03-2019, 12:43 PM)Alliecat Wrote: Cool that you're having fun making matching outfits from that fabric.  Jack is definitely being model-y LOL
I remember hearing about Sindy.  I don't think I knew she was British.  Yours is very cute.

I feel like Right Said Fred should be playing... Oh yeah, Sindy is the UK doll of choice and was for many years. In her current incarnation, she's an 18" doll like American Girl or Generation Girl. Personally, I'm not really fond of this newer version, although her clothing sets do fit some of my bigger girls, and my oldest bear who needs to be kept covered so it's good for that. I just sort of wish they had made her in fashion doll size again. That original look would have probably done well in the current market. 

(03-03-2019, 01:47 PM)Cornflower Blue Wrote: Nice job on the sewing!  Sindy may have been intended as a Barbie type doll, but she seems to have more in common with Ideal Tammy.

I believe I'm right in saying that Pedigree may have made a deal with Ideal in regards to the style of the doll, so it would be accurate to say Tammy is Sindy's older American cousin. 

(03-03-2019, 07:30 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: He's very sure of his model pose there :O

And nice that he's got a matching top with his friend.

Jack knows how to show off. Which is interesting considering he and Olivia are really such dorks. 

- - - 

62. Talking of Models...
[Image: 52212812_cbd82c11073fff060b0130a2edacc559_standard.jpg]
My Original Effect Reborn Body finally has a pair of trousers that fit her well! For these, I went with basic black because, well, let's be honest, simple thing that can go with anything, plus matches her heels. It took me a while to find a pattern I could easily adapt for this body - she's a bit thicker than most fashion dolls do those patterns don't size up as easily, but I managed it.

... I still really adore her sulky ex.pression.
More sewing adventures! Yay! They look nice! I can't do a straight stitch to save my life...
She is a very striking looking doll! Her face looks like she's an actress from the silent film era-- very cool!
(03-04-2019, 02:05 AM)dargosmydaddy Wrote: She is a very striking looking doll! Her face looks like she's an actress from the silent film era-- very cool!

Oh! She does! Very much so! Now I would like to see some artistically lit B&W photos of this figure!
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
(03-04-2019, 02:00 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: More sewing adventures! Yay! They look nice! I can't do a straight stitch to save my life...

I am sewing a lot at the moment, it helps me focus on something other than my rising anxiety. I will say that the old saying of "practice makes perfect"? Yeah, it really applies to sewing. As much as sticking your finger with the needles or pins hurts >.<

(03-04-2019, 02:05 AM)dargosmydaddy Wrote: She is a very striking looking doll! Her face looks like she's an actress from the silent film era-- very cool!

(03-04-2019, 02:26 AM)davidd Wrote: Oh! She does! Very much so! Now I would like to see some artistically lit B&W photos of this figure!

An attempt to do this will be made! Here's hoping the lighting agrees with me... 

- - - 

63. The Card Captors
[Image: 48976785_247e8dcd5bb10242a2f118870f98a14c_standard.jpg]
Boring shot from a while back, but I said in kady's thread I would post so... These are the Trendmasters dolls produced for the dub in the early 2000s. We have Meilin, Syaoran, and Pink Kitty Sakura. I do have school uniform Sakura somewhere. I'd like to get hold of an extra Meilin and an extra uniform so I can make a Tomoyo. My Syaoran lost his proper shoes years ago, and is instead wearing some black ones from an Eden produced Madeline doll which is some fun trivia for you, since they don't show in the picture. Apparently there were versions of Syaoran available in Japan that had rooted hair, but attempts to get hold of one of these have never gone well for me.
What a colorful company!
It's kinda fun that you have some of the same relatively scarce anime dolls that another collector on the forum just posted. (Another collector who is not Tasuke!) I mean, the active group here is not particularly large, and there are a billion zillion different dolls out there in the world, and these are not exactly common, so what are the chances?

Anime-style dolls and figures seem to have been the springboard for a number of the hobbyists here.
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
Nice! I used to have the entire Trendmasters line (excluding the deluxe dolls that came with additional outfits) but I'm still missing Blue Warrior and Green Fairy in my collection. I'm also considering customizing one for Tomoyo too! It's a shame that only Japan made her for both the original CCS lines and Liccarize. Tomoyo deserves more love.
---
Own: Pullip Akemi, Pullip Les Secrets by Laduree (Seccotine), Dal Madoka Kaname, Docolla Dal Kyubey, Pullip Homura Akemi, Le Petit Prince The Fox (Vicky), 

Wishlist: Queen Serenity, Princess Serenity, Princess Kakyuu, Sailor Moon in general, Utena, Anthy, Kumiho, Secret Garden of the White Witch, Mami Tomoe, Le Petit Prince The Rose, Isul Le Petit Prince,
---
Not familiar with these at all. It's fun to see the great variety of unfamiliar dolls in people's collections. I agree about the Reborn Body doll looking like a silent film actress.
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
Looks like a troupe of travelling performers.
(03-05-2019, 03:53 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: What a colorful company!

Card Captor Sakura really was an anime with a lot of colours, now I think back on it. In my memory, I tend to strongly associate it with pastels, but looking back there were quite a lot of bold colours too. (Also one of my all-time favourites. Next to Cowboy Bebop.)

(03-05-2019, 04:03 AM)davidd Wrote: It's kinda fun that you have some of the same relatively scarce anime dolls that another collector on the forum just posted. (Another collector who is not Tasuke!) I mean, the active group here is not particularly large, and there are a billion zillion different dolls out there in the world, and these are not exactly common, so what are the chances?

Anime-style dolls and figures seem to have been the springboard for a number of the hobbyists here.

I think that the relative scarcity of these particular dolls comes from the fact that - I think, at least - the company is no longer producing anything. (Has anyone heard anything of Trendmasters in recent years?) In terms of the chances... well, CCS was one of the most popular animes to come out of the 90s, and has an enduring popularity - though of course nothing will eclipse Sailor Moon when it comes to magical girls - so... maybe about 50-50? The anime aesthetic seems to lend itself well to dolls, and many companies in Japan are willing to make dolls of anime characters - Volks runs lotteries on more popular ones, and did recently announce they were going to make Rose of Versailles dolls... 

It's still a really interesting thing to think on, actually. Especially with Tasuke's information on the sheer variety of companies that have produced and the various different styles that are out there. 

(03-05-2019, 07:11 AM)kadytheredpanda Wrote: Nice! I used to have the entire Trendmasters line (excluding the deluxe dolls that came with additional outfits) but I'm still missing Blue Warrior and Green Fairy in my collection. I'm also considering customizing one for Tomoyo too! It's a shame that only Japan made her for both the original CCS lines and Liccarize. Tomoyo deserves more love.

Oh! How lucky for you! I only had a few, simply out of cost/availability to me at the time. Good to know I'm not the only person who had that thought of customizing to get their own Tomoyo - the Liccarize one is lovely but, cost wise, far too much out of my budget >< She really does deserve more love, I'm a bit sad that the Clear Card arc doesn't seem to have produced the same amount of merch as the original anime. 

(03-05-2019, 02:24 PM)Alliecat Wrote: Not familiar with these at all.  It's fun to see the great variety of unfamiliar dolls in people's collections.  I agree about the Reborn Body doll looking like a silent film actress.

It's one of the joys of these threads; being able to see and learm about different types of dolls and figures. Actually, thanks to a comment davidd on the picture, Reborn Body has finally clued me into her name: it's Bette! I'm kind of wanting to make her a gown that would fit with the silent film actress vibe, I'm just not sure what style, and whether or not I would be able to pull it off. My sewing skills are still rather basic.

(03-05-2019, 04:34 PM)Elfy Wrote: Looks like a troupe of travelling performers.

That isn't entirely inaccurate - Tomoyo did design each of Sakura's battle outfits as if she was going to be putting on a performance. So it's a good vibe to be getting from them, ^^.

- - - 

64. Helena's New Skirt
[Image: 52293146_57f1bc91a92c6526a21b837d9dc83acc_standard.jpg]
Because I am kind of always sewing at the moment. Here we have an a-line skirt for Helena. It has functional pockets! I did hand sew this one as it was my first time working with the pattern, and hand sewing forces me to pay more attention to how each part is put together. Helena, for her part, quite likes her new skirt, but commented she needs a top that matches a bit better. 

Sigh, dolls always have their wants, don't they?
Oooh, it suits her well! It definitely looks like something she loves to wear!
Functional pockets! It looks great!
---
Own: Pullip Akemi, Pullip Les Secrets by Laduree (Seccotine), Dal Madoka Kaname, Docolla Dal Kyubey, Pullip Homura Akemi, Le Petit Prince The Fox (Vicky), 

Wishlist: Queen Serenity, Princess Serenity, Princess Kakyuu, Sailor Moon in general, Utena, Anthy, Kumiho, Secret Garden of the White Witch, Mami Tomoe, Le Petit Prince The Rose, Isul Le Petit Prince,
---
Nice job on the skirt. And functional pockets -- wow. That's a little better than "rather basic" sewing skills, I bet.
(03-06-2019, 01:41 AM)werepuppy Wrote: I'm kind of wanting to make her a gown that would fit with the silent film actress vibe, I'm just not sure what style, and whether or not I would be able to pull it off. My sewing skills are still rather basic.
Well, try it anyway. What is there to lose? If you use a piece of scrap for a prototype, you won't have to worry about wrecking your preferred fabric, and you might end up with something wearable on the first try. I never made any doll clothes before doing my girls' pirate jacket... just tried on a whim and it turned out pretty well. So I'm looking forward to seeing what you make smile
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]