I've never had this happen before, what do you think?
I send quite a few overseas parcels through the post office. In the past year I have sent Pullips to Spain, France, Czech Republic, and Brazil, and other doll-related items to UK. Everything arrived intact. I never add insurance.

However, I do not ship to Mexico. I have heard too many stories about problems when shipping to Mexico.

I don't understand why the postal clerk would be "freaking out" about shipping the items without insurance. Sometimes the postal clerks at my local post offices will "recommend" insurance. But it depends on the postal clerk. Some can be quite insistent. The best approach I've found is to ask, "what is the least expensive option?"

When shipping Pullips overseas, I box them in a Pullip-sized box, then put that box in a slightly larger box. If you box the parcel carefully so it is not too heavy (under 4 pounds) you can ship it "First Class International Parcel," which is equally as fast as "Priority Mail" but less expensive. I find it costs around $20.00 to ship a Pullip internationally -- the price varies depending on the country.

As you know, you will have to attach a Customs form. Again, if the box is under 4 pounds, you need only use the small, one-piece form.

If you are concerned about delivery, rather than insuring the parcel, you can upgrade to Registered Mail. This will add $11.00 to the regular postage, and will require a signature upon delivery. Registered Mail is supposed to be trackable, but it depends on the country: I have found that delivery confirmation is questionable in some countries even with Registered Mail.

I recently discovered that sometimes you can enter a Customs Form number in the tracking box at USPS.com and get tracking information.

If I were in your situation, I would send the Mexico parcel First Class Registered. I would register the parcel to Brazil if it is not going to a major city (Rio de Janiero or Sao Paulo or someplace you've heard of). I would send the UK parcel simple First Class.

I have found that delivery time can vary greatly. This winter I mailed two identical parcels to the UK as First Class Parcels. One arrived in three days! The other required nearly two months!

As for the parcel to New York with the incorrect ZIP code: I hope you got a tracking number on it. At least that way you can track it every few days and get an idea where it is. Usually an incorrect ZIP code will result in a delivery delay of a few to several days, but the item will get there eventually.

If it is an option, I would start taking my parcels to a different post office, or at least make sure you get a different clerk the next time you go.

Oh, in addition to mailing things internationally, I worked for the post office for a few years, both as a mail carrier and as a clerk in the processing plant; that's why I suggest sending "First Class" whenever possible. First Class and Priority receive identical handling in the processing facility. Parcel Post (also called Surface Rate) is the slower service, but it is no longer offered for international shipments.
They're not dolls, they're action figures!

Messages In This Thread
RE: I've never had this happen before, what do you think? - by davidd - 03-18-2011, 04:27 PM