Shantey, the girl with the blue hair
I never thought it would happen, but the hold that the Groove dolls have on me seems to have loosened up somewhat. I still adore the ones in my collection, of course, but now I can look at the new releases and not want to purchase them.

I still want to stay active somewhat in the doll hobby. I turned to my most recent acquisition--Blythe--and decided to give re-rooting a go. I had gotten a pre-owned Jane LeFroy Blythe on ebay for a good price. I knew I wanted to send her to Buzzingbumblebee/Bee's Dreamland for a custom face-up, new eyechips, the works! And since the Blythe's hair was a right mess and couldn't be saved, I decided to take all the hair off of the scalp and use it as a base to do my first re-root. At least the holes were already there; one less thing for me to do.

So I ordered some saran from Dollyhair.com. I agonized over the colors for such a long time--so many choices! I settled on a mix of blues--phtahlo, lagoon & midnight. And because I didn't want to run out, I think I bought more hanks than I needed, but better safe than sorry. (Good thing I did too, because I destroyed many strands during my rerooting venture).

ByronicHeroine shared her favorite re-rooting tutorial with me, and I was off. I already had some long needles and jewelry pliers.

This is the beginning stages of the re-root. The tutorial said to do the thatch/part first, so that's what I did. It's entirely separate from the rest of the spiral that starts at the crown of the head.
[Image: 20528984010_0f181dbbb1.jpg]

I was annoyed at how fuzzy the inside was turning out to be. Look at all the fuzzy strands! And the amount of strands I destroyed...it felt like I was throwing away money with each saran strand that got kinked and tangled. I felt like it was very slow going...this is a couple weeks' progress. Truthfully, though, only maybe an hour or two per day, and not every single day. Also, I was dealing with a finger sprain at the time, so I probably wasn't working at full speed.
[Image: 20690730866_31bf902b3f.jpg]

After awhile, though, I started to feel like I had a handle on what I was doing. I knew how big a hair plug should be, and once my finger got better, I could increase my speed. I finally finished the re-root in early September. Ta-dah!
[Image: 21425976475_f0398b68bd.jpg]

Here is the interior of the scalp. I put on a thin layer of glue over the locked loops as a measure of security. The scalp is VERY full--man, this girl will have a LOT of hair. It's probably a combination of thick hair plugs and using every single hole. I'll have to remember that for the next time...if there is a next time.
[Image: 20804927683_da4e7dd716.jpg]

And here's the recipient of the scalp--it's Shantey the custom Blythe. You may remember her from Buzzingbumblebee's thread earlier this month. She was sporting blonde hair then. Here she is now...
[Image: 21468712576_dcb872439e.jpg]

Shantey has three pair of handpainted eyechips by Buzzingbumblebee.
[Image: 21483854262_7a9387d43b.jpg]

And her dress is by Vertefae/Toadstool Tor.
[Image: 21503501791_d5689064cb.jpg]Shantey by KiraKira a.k.a. JustLikeWasabi (but you can call me Shann!), on Flickr

I didn't like the Blythe stock body...so I opted for one that's a little more poseable. The tradeoff is that it is less stable.
[Image: 20873796003_8931c4316d.jpg]

Here are her pulls--made of beach glass, shells and natural beads. I wanted the pulls to be reminiscent of the beach, or the ocean. She is named 'Shantey' after all, which is a word that means " a sailor's work song". And she has blue hair like the sea.
[Image: 20872132694_98b90b7c35.jpg]

Thank you for sticking around and reading this far. grin
[Image: 21306897210_62715d205f.jpg]
Currently playing:  Animal Crossing: New Horizons on the Nintendo Switch
Friend Code 2036-6707-2961 (KiraKira)
Currently reading: If I Had Your Face by Frances Cha
Last movie I saw:  Parasite

Messages In This Thread
Shantey, the girl with the blue hair - by KiraKira - 09-18-2015, 10:23 AM