What tips can you give for photographing your dolls?
1. Backgrounds - I have difficulty getting a "neutral" background as well. I have not yet been able to achieve the rich dark velvety black backgrounds like neon_jellyfish creates. I know that she uses a light tent, which is a box made of semi-transparent cloth that allows for an even, diffused light. I stand my figures and dolls up several inches away from the background to avoid shadows. I use various cardboard or cloth for the backdrops. I have seen nicely done photos with the dolls lying down, but I haven't had much success with that method.

2. Lighting - Diffusion material of some sort over the light source is required to reduce glare. Translucent cloth made for photography is best. I don't have any, so I usually drape tissue paper or even Kleenex facial tissue over my light sources. I use inex-pensive desk lamps I got at Walmart, and I use a hand-held flashlight with a facial tissue held over the lens for fill lighting in the shadows. The lights usually have to be pretty close to the figure to get enough light to make the camera happy.
They're not dolls, they're action figures!

Messages In This Thread
RE: What tips can you give for photographing your dolls? - by davidd - 08-17-2020, 07:02 AM