davidd's A Doll A Day 2018
Those shoes are amazing! I cannot imagine the effort involved in weaving the braid, very impressive.

Interesting reflection! Did you edit out her wrist joint or was are your special effects making them disappear?
(11-06-2018, 01:12 PM)Cornflower Blue Wrote: Did you edit out her wrist joint or was are your special effects making them disappear?

I tried to reduce the distracting appearance of the wrist joint using the low-end editing tools at my disposal. When that wasn't entirely sufficient, I layered on the "cool Instagram filter effects." yay

The unsightly wrist joints are probably my main peeve about Smart Dolls. I suspect the designer, Danny Choo, is not happy with them either, because in almost all of the photos he posts himself his dolls are wearing very long sleeves that cover the wrists. The articulation is excellent for posing, but the aesthetics of the wrists and the elbows leaves a lot to be desired.

[Image: november6.jpg]
6 November – DollstagramNovemberChallenge2018: Brown

Because khaki and tan count as brown, right? Light brown?
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
Awesome!
All shades of brown, for sure!

Lovely pic of the new girl, she looks very casual there.
My Girls: Alice Mint du Jardine (Lottie), Brand New Purrezza (Amelia), Ayanamei Rei (Evie), Princess Ann/Roman Holiday (Kit), Aquel (Becky), Scarlet (Izzy), Meg (Jo-Meg), Laura (Antimony), Nahh-Ato (Shala), Chicca (Maeve), Peter Pan (Meredith), VeryBerryPop (Daisy), SDCC2016 Wonder Woman (Diana), Taffy (Tansy), Amelia (Beatrice), Steampunk Cheshire Cat (Antoinette), Arietta (Ashli), Naoko (Zoey), Mocha MIO (Nyxie), Steampunk Mad Hatter (Hattie), Sapphire Princess Knight (Roni), Steampunk Alice (Lizette), Asoka Sorayu (Nova), Steampunk Taeyang Dodo (Theodore), Steampunk Isul White Rabbit (Finn), Tiphona (Felicity), Anthy Himemiya (Ester), Mocha MIO (honey), Alte (Bethan)
As I said earlier, I looooove love love the monochrome yet rich palette of this photo!
[Image: november7.jpg]
7 November – DollstagramNovemberChallenge2018: Barbie

The Fashion Police are packing some serious heat these days!
To be honest, the SS part does bring about ambiguous feelings, although I'm sure it means 'spectacular style' or 'sassy style'... (fun note: my nana's father's initials were SS and he - profoundly anti-nazi person - was haunted by it the whole war, poor guy)

Nevertheless, the little Fräulein looks darn hot!

Did you know that first Barbies were, um, too heavily inspired by Bild Lilli, german doll modeled after main character of comic strip with rather adult themes - a sassy call girl named Lilli?
(11-08-2018, 07:54 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: To be honest, the SS part does bring about ambiguous feelings, although I'm sure it means 'spectacular style' or 'sassy style'... (fun note: my nana's father's initials were SS and he - profoundly anti-nazi person - was haunted by it the whole war, poor guy)

Nevertheless, the little Fräulein looks darn hot!

Did you know that first Barbies were, um, too heavily inspired by Bild Lilli, german doll modeled after main character of comic strip with rather adult themes - a sassy call girl named Lilli?

Yes, I was aware of Lilli. This character in my doll world is modeled after her, and the other figures, when she appears in stories, call her Lilli. That's the reason behind her rather fascist fashion sense.

(She's actually on a Pullip body, wearing the Pullip Melissa stock outfit.)

I was somewhat concerned about the "{incredibly funny satirical gag redacted}" but decided to go ahead with the joke; if you think it's problematic, I will certainly remove it. I do not, however, intend to promote Naziism in any way; rather, this is meant as satire and sarcasm, poking fun at and ridiculing the Reich. A TV show popular in re-runs when I was a kid... which I suspect they did not telecast in your country with the other old American shows, was a comedy called Hogan's Heroes, and it was about a group of Allied prisoners of war in a German prison camp who always got the better of the bumbling German military, including the slow-witted Sergeant Schulz and the incompetent Colonel Klink. Yes, it was a slapstick comedy set in a German POW camp, with copious references to the SS and the Gestapo and all manner of war-era symbolism. I suppose that the attitude in recent years has become so vehemently opposed to even referencing what the Germans did prior to and during the war that it's not even allowable to ridicule that period of history with sarcasm or satire. I find the current trend, where profanity is allowed but sarcasm is not, disturbing, because it means that the "thought police" are winning, and independent thought, which is required to understand and appreciate sarcasm and satire, is being suppressed.

Yeah, I know, I'm going way too deep now. But anyway, the "{incredibly funny satirical gag redacted}" thing is meant as a joke. If you or anyone else weighs in here and finds it uncomfortable, I'll remove it.

EDIT:

On second... or third... or fifth thought, I decided to change the caption. While it was only a joke, and all the regular forum members have strong senses of humor, all I need is for somebody from outside to stumble across it, go all mental over it, and have our fun little site flagged as being some kind of extremist hotbed.

I'm not happy about letting the potential of the "thought police" curb my self-expression, but in this case, the needs of the many and all that jazz.

Thanks for mentioning it. Prolly good thing that you did. Heart 2
Gee, NO! No, no, I'm not offended, triggered, nor do I think you want to promote nazism! I'm not a trendy person...
It was most obvious it was a joke, I just failed to see what exactly is it aimed at (I'm failing to put my thoughts to words here, especially English ones, but I just don't see the sarcastic part of this gorgeous photo - I KNOW it IS there, I just don't get it). Absolutely never feel obliged to change or remove anything you post because of me!!!!!!!
I personally (and by personally I mean that I have no intention to subject others to my standards) can't and don't see certain things as funny, but I love your spicy humor and don't want you to change it! Never, not ever!

The shows you mentioned didn't air here, but Europe did/does have some of its own. They're heavily censored or not aired at all now (which I hate), so I get how you feel.
As a side note, I don't get offended. Sometimes I don't like something (and this wasn't even the case, I didn't dislike it, I just didn't know what exactly to think about it), but I only have one (and rather achy at that) head, I can't afford to lose it because of tiny things on teh internetz. I wouldn't use the word Fräulein if I found the joke offensive wink
Oh, you make "brown" appealing. Very nice colour palette there! What is the bush behind her?

...what'd I miss? o.O
I thought maybe Fashion Police Barbie was out hunting another new arrival, like they did with Action Man.

Pretty sure my grandfather watched "Hogan's Heroes"; I remember it being on. I was never a regular viewer. But I did enjoy "Allo Allo" -- also probably not PC these days.
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
I like the way you used the tank in the background. I missed whatever it was that you used for the caption, too.

My late father, a WWII vet, loved Hogan's Heroes.
(11-08-2018, 09:20 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Gee, NO! No, no, I'm not offended, triggered, nor do I think you want to promote nazism! I'm not a trendy person...
It was most obvious it was a joke.... I wouldn't use the word Fräulein if I found the joke offensive.

No worries at all! I knew you weren't offended, especially because you replied with "Fräulein" and the "Lilli" information. And I don't think anyone on this forum would be offended. Maybe an eye-roll at most.

But as I said, I kind of got to thinking and re-thinking, and when I overthink things I tend to get paranoid, and all it takes is for one person who is not a regular to stumble across some innocuous bad joke and decide to pretend to be grievously offended and have the site shut down or something. So I changed the caption.

No worries. I'll still slip things in now and again. I'll just try to be more subtly subversive about it.
[Image: november8.jpg]
8 November – DollstagramNovemberChallenge2018: Bed

Late-nite gossip in the Monster High Doomitory.
Such a nice post-apocalyptic-grungy atmosphere! And the spot lighting is perfect!!!
[Image: november9.jpg]
9 November – DollstagramNovemberChallenge2018: Summer Throwback

Looking back to the summer of 2012.