PrettyTiny Film Company pic a week 2018 (The end!! Dec. 31))
Excellent photo! Annie appears to be closely watching her Monarch friend.

Did I ever mention the time a butterfly flew into the classroom where I was teaching grade 4 (ages 9-10) students, and they all began to scream?! "Do they bite? Will it bite me?" No joke, one kid was in tears.

I was pretty annoyed... not at the kids, but at the failure of both the educational system and of their parents. I mean, it was a butterfly, a yellow swallowtail. How could a ten year old kid be afraid of a butterfly? How could a ten year old kid be so ignorant about butterflies? Kids lead sad, sheltered lives these days.

"Yes," I snapped. "They have long, coiled tongues that pierce your skin and go in to your veins and suck out your blood!"

Yeah, seriously, that's what I told them. Because I was a caring, sensitive sort of teacher.

And then I more or less (more more than less) yelled, "NO! IT WILL NOT BITE YOU! IT'S A BUTTERFLY!" And I told them about butterflies, and caterpillars, and how butterflies sip nectar out of flowers, and how they are very delicate. And then I caught it, and it walked on my hand, and the kids were afraid to touch it, and we let it go outside.

Just so you know, then: the upcoming generations of pampered, sheltered kids think butterflies are DANGEROUS! This does not bode well for the future of butterflies.

Maybe photos featuring butterflies with dolls could be used as an educational outreach tool. Then again, blood-sucking butterflies with creepy dolls... maybe not.
They're not dolls, they're action figures!

Messages In This Thread
RE: PrettyTiny Film Company pic a week 2018 (#33 Aug 16) - by davidd - 08-17-2018, 04:31 PM