Neon’s A Doll A Migraine-less Day, More Or Less - 2019 edition!
(07-23-2019, 11:41 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: This is a great introduction to the world.

Using favourite stories / tropes are a great jumping off point for your own imaginative stories.  You just need to see how many retelling and variations of fairytale & legends are published every years.

Ahh, so Her Insane Majesty is actually the second sister - which also fits into “reality” where she was the second one to arrive at your house.

Thank you! Her Insane Majesty being the younger sister wasn't intentional, they just seemed like that when I put them next to each other...

(07-24-2019, 03:40 AM)werepuppy Wrote: Oooh, that's fascinating.

Does Rosamunda ever feel... resentment over having to concede the throne to Her Insane Majesty?

No? She didn't have to, she wanted to... Does 'concede' mean it was forced? Google Translate told me I could use it for voluntary giving up throne, too... Maybe I should revise her bio, to make it more clear...

(07-24-2019, 03:49 AM)davidd Wrote: What an endearing combination of adorable, fun, odd, quirky, and slightly spooky! I love this to bits and pieces so far!

I'm curious, do you think up the stories in Czech or in English... or in a combination of languages? Your description and the names you've come up with do not come across as being translations.

Thank you!!!

It's a mix of everything. I started with non-Czech dolls' names, because I wanted to keep something from the doll's original name or theme (or at least color) in the new name (or character). So Wilhelmina got to keep 'Wilhemina' and I just added to it. Her Insane Majesty is keeping insanity and the title of the queen, Butterworth twins kept the circus theme... Then I ended up with a mix of English, German and French names, so when I was naming places, I just decided to stick with English, because I don't have anyone to share this with in Czech anyways. But when I'm thinking about other things than names, I do it in Czech, because it's my 'thinking' language (well, it is my mother tongue, so no surprise there).

Day 205

We'll use secret tunnel leading from Lebkuchenburg to Oddwick Castle (the two castles weren't originally connected, but the royal sisters thought it could come in handy) and request an audience with THE most important person in the whole kingdom:

The Queen

[Image: 180d8ca5e251ce44f4bbab78cfdc78ce.jpg]
The official portrait of the Queen of Oddwickshire

Bow before Her Insane Majesty, Queen Isadora Malvolia The Very First!

She might not exactly be the very first queen of Oddwickshire, but with her reign, new era - a suspiciously bountiful one, I might add - arrived to the small kingdom (or, how she likes to call it, queendom), and so when she demanded that “The Very First” should be added to her title, nobody had any objections (that turned out to be a very healthy decision).

Her Insane Majesty has quite an eccentric personality, and sometimes, she’s downright insane. However, when it comes to important decisions and caring for her people, she’s so rational, calm and level-headed, it’s almost scary. Luckily, this peculiar condition only lasts for a few seconds necessary to make whatever decision needs to be made, and then the Queen reverts to her usual batty self. 

Right after her coronation, Oddwickshire started to prosper like never before in its long, albeit mostly forgotten history. Word on the street is that it has something to do with young queen’s passion for collecting magical artifacts (she doesn't have a talent for magic like her older sister does, but she would never let such a minute detail stop her). It’s probably true, but I’m sure that her sharp intellect also plays an important role.

Aside from magical artifacts, she loves rocking horses and other toy horses, also other rocking and swinging things. Several envoys from neighboring countries have made comments implying that audience with the Queen made them feel notably dizzy and that keeping eye contact with her is virtually impossible. They hope their kings won’t abandon their traditional thrones for rocking ones or throne-swings.

There are some characters who currently don't have a shell, but I decided to share them anyways. I'll post them when I write about places they belong to. The first one is a ghost who's been haunting the Oddwick Castle for past few centuries.

Princess Lianora

Princess Lianora... well, the ghost of princess Lianora... is possibly the sweetest and most cheerful resident of the royal castle. She was the crown princess centuries ago, and used to suffer from somnambulism. One night, the light of the full moon led her to the kitchen, then to the cookie jar... She choked on a cookie crumb, woke up, died and got really upset during the process, for she wasn't able to finish the cookie. The desire to eat that fateful cookie was so strong that her ghost rose from her dead body practically immediately, gave the cookie what it deserved and then proceeded to consume the rest of the jar's contents, to make sure nobody else suffers the same gruesome death...

Princess Lianora is always lively, ah, pardon me, I meant full of energy, and her glass is always full-full. She loves sweet treats of all kinds, cute and fluffy things, and wailing on the castle's battlements during stormy nights. People open up to her easily, and she can always cheer them up. Except for the times she scares them half to death. She can't help that, being a ghost and all... Her Insane Majesty and Countess Rosamunda seem to be the only ones who don't get scared by Lianora. Probably because they're way scarier than her...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Neon’s A Doll A Migraine-less Day, More Or Less - 2019 edition! - by neon_jellyfish - 07-24-2019, 11:53 PM