Neon’s A Doll A Migraine-less Day, More Or Less - 2019 edition!
(11-07-2019, 01:56 AM)werepuppy Wrote: Ooh, your red-headed ladies are so stunning, and your group shots always look so *good*

Thank you very much!!!

(11-07-2019, 03:56 AM)davidd Wrote: It is always a delight and an honor to be graced by an appearance of Her Royal Insanityness!

You have a particular photographic talent for creating stunning images with your harem of red-haired beauties!

And thank you for the additional background and history about the cemetery and the villages around Prague. I was curious about the time period myself, so I did a bit of online reading about the "war years" and the effect on Czechoslovakia. I was vaguely aware of the "appeasement" approach by Britain and France regarding German ex-pansionism, but I had not been aware that, specifically, Britain and France met with Germany and Italy to discuss the matter of Czech territory, and the Brits and the French essentially gave away Czech territory with no input from the Czech government! Much of the territory that was ceded to Germany included ... how convenient ... Czech military defense fortification. Yes, it was 80 or more years ago, but still I was horrified to read how callously Britain and France treated the Czech people, and how little regard they had for the Czech nation. Afterward, the Allies did nothing to protest against further German ex-pansion in to Czech territory, and nothing to defend Czech sovereignty. And as you say, the Czech government acquiesced to German rule, but apparently the majority of the Czech citizens and the Czech military wanted to fight, and absolutely did not passively or willingly submit to German occupation.

Do Czech people harbor any ill-will against Britain and France for being abandoned and betrayed during the war? Or is it sufficiently far in the past to not matter as much anymore? I'm sure people from earlier generations had very mixed feelings about the Allied powers.

On a more positive note: I sincerely hope Remei will take us on more tours of Prague and of the Czech countryside! Perhaps one day she will even take us to see the amazing cathedral at Prague Castle!

Thank you!!!

Yeah, what remained from Czechoslovakia was mostly treated as loot during WW2. Loot doesn't get a say. It happened again at the end of war, Allies agreed to concede us to Soviets, again without caring about our opinion. It was ridiculous, because US Third Army arrived to Czechoslovakia first, but because of the Allies' agreement with Stalin, they had to stop, and it took Red Army four more days to arrive and liberate the rest of the country, which then led to manipulated elections, joining Soviet Union and several decades of communism. Screw it.

As for Cech people's relationship to other nations, it's a very complicated thing, and it would take a very long and boring history lesson to understand at least some of it. I would describe us as generally bitter and distrustful to absolutely everyone. We weren't a free nation from late 15th century to the end of the First World War, and then again from 1939 to 1989. We forgot how to take care of our matters on our own, how to stand up for ourselves. We became lethargic and cynical. We don't like anyone, including ourselves. I don't want to get too deep into this, because it would be depressing and not really useful. Considering all that, Britain and France don't really get extra portion of hate, it's about the same as with others.

I do want to do more Prague trips with Remei, but mostly next year, as the weather won't be so nice for the rest of this year. As for the Prague Castle and St. Vitus Cathedral, that might be a bit of an issue. The access to the Castle is limited for 'safety reasons', you have to stand in long lines and pass through safety check. I do want to give it  a shot, but I don't know when.

(11-07-2019, 06:25 AM)Lejays17 Wrote: Thank you for the extra information about the cemetary & the timeline of what happened.  I enjoy learning the “smaller / personal” history of places that don’t get covered in the big history books.  So (like Davidd) I can read about what happened between the wars & during WW2 in general, but that won’t give me the smaller details of the businessman who died & his wishes got the rest of the graves moved.

And I forgot to compliment Remei on her gorgeous outfit with the striped stockings as the rest of the post was so interesting.

A beautiful group of red-heads.  There really is a day celebrating everything, isn’t there?

You're most welcome! And thank you! Yeah, there are so many special days, there are actually sevaral of them for each calendar day.

(11-07-2019, 04:11 PM)Elfy Wrote: Jus as well you have so many redheads. I wonder what their collective noun is?

(11-07-2019, 04:47 PM)Lejays17 Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 04:11 PM)Elfy Wrote: Jus as well you have so many redheads. I wonder what their collective noun is?

A Danger?  A Gloriana?  A Trouble?  A Delight?

(I love collective nouns - the weirder the better.  My personal favourite is a Chapel of (book)Printers.  So delightful and why?? A chapel? - actually I know the answer to that too.  It’s because the illegal printing presses were hidden in church chapels from the authorities.)

Collective noun for a bunch of redheads sounds fun. I have no idea at this moment, but I'll look into it and try to come up with something.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Neon’s A Doll A Migraine-less Day, More Or Less - 2019 edition! - by neon_jellyfish - 11-08-2019, 03:16 AM