Neon’s A Doll A Migraine-less Day, More Or Less - 2019 edition!
(12-01-2019, 04:11 AM)werepuppy Wrote: Liselotte looks very happy to be sharing in the treat.

I do think they are a bit of a thing, just not in this area? I do see them at the Christmas markets though.

Her happy face gives me life! All of my dolls are cute and pleasant to look at, but my anime darlings have have some extra mood-boosting abilities.

I know that roasted chestnuts are a thing in central, southern and at least part of eastern Europe, but I have no idea about northern Europe, the Isles, and other continents. Here, it's more of a fall/winter treat rather than specifically Christmas one.

(12-01-2019, 09:01 AM)Alliecat Wrote: Well, other than the song... people don't really do it here.  Do you do them over a fire, or in an oven?  Would like to try them smile
Rebecca is lovely, but it's a bummer about the stock.  Groove QC has been sliding for some time, I guess.  slash

I don't make my own, but I know they can be made in oven. For me, the whole appeal of roasted chestnuts is getting them outside in cold weather from - let me throw another Czech word at you - kaštanář. It's a term for street vendor specializing in roasting chestnuts, and I didn't find English equivalent...

My steampunk Pullips suffer from it the most. I'm probably going to have to make them completely new gubbins at some point...

(12-01-2019, 09:51 AM)Elfy Wrote: I do see people selling roasted chestnuts in the city sometimes, of course we do it in the wrong season for you. I’ve never had the courage to try them, I may not like the taste. I hope Liselotte enjoys the treat, though.

That's interesting! I'm surprised they're ripe in the middle of the summer (or maybe they're imported)... Since the whole point of roasted chestnuts is that they're warm - when you're out n' about in cold weather, you have something warm to eat and the paper cone (or bag) is warm in your hands, summer is probably not the best season to enjoy them...

If you don't feel like trying them, you're not missing out on much, they are mostly tasteless, just slightly sweet and 'nutty', and the texture is mushy but at the same time somewhat grainy, plus, if they're not done well, they're impossible to peel.

There's just something really nice and nostalgic about eating roasted chestnuts in late autumn, and they appear in some children's stories I like, which was the biggest reason I wanted to try some.

Day 335

Almost there!

[Image: 2ecb982cb84e8c78df7d6fe6eaa9afe1.jpg]

"Subjects! The last month of the challenge is upon us! You have done well so far, I am pleased with your results! Grit your teeth and endure for just a little longer, we're almost there!"

Messages In This Thread
RE: Neon’s A Doll A Migraine-less Day, More Or Less - 2019 edition! - by neon_jellyfish - 12-02-2019, 02:49 AM