Werepuppy's (Attempt At) Doll-A-Day 2019!
(01-24-2019, 06:25 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: He does look broody, and his shadow on the wall gives the picture properly dramatic and comic-esque feel!
It's hard, to get the shadows working with you. It did there, yays.

(01-24-2019, 10:17 AM)Alliecat Wrote: If one is in a mood to brood, one can always find a place to do it LOL
A dress pattern that doesn't need the sleeves inserted sounds quite a bit easier to make.
Bats is always in a mood to brood. It's part of his whole thing, really.
The pattern was one I basically altered from a raglan jumper pattern. It saves a lot of fuss with inserting sleeves.

(01-24-2019, 01:41 PM)Cornflower Blue Wrote: A witches coven of your dolls? I hope they don't get any ideas about casting spells on the rest. Batman looks like he's on the top of some building looking out over the city of dolls. I bet the witches won't mess with him.
Well.. one of the witches is Wednesday Addams, she does as she likes...

- - -

A Seated Pose
[Image: 50930128_1f37c3bb52e019346c1d298d421ec3c0_standard.jpg]
She arrived yesterday after I had posted the picture for today, so it felt appropriate to give her today's slot. This is my 1/3 scale Wednesday Addams that I customised myself, Though admittedly the base doll did come with the face-up. The company is EVA BJD, which is recognised on the Den of Angels BJD wiki off-topic page under their non-resin dolls.
The dress was sewn by me and made - if you can believe it - from some old t-shirts I was looking to throw out anyway. I styled the wig myself, and socks and shoes were bought off eBay. (Her socks are a bit more Beetlejuice than I had intended...)
She's so cute! Like a bit more grown up version of Wednesday from the 60s series.

As for the stockings, that's quite an interesting topic - I was looking at various Wednesdays from various adaptations, and I haven't seen the musical, but none of the other Wednesdays had striped stockings. Original Wednesday from Chas Addams' cartoons, 60s one, 90s feature films and The New Addams Family Wednesdays have black stockings / tights; Wednesday from 70s animated series has bare legs (and pink dress, oh, the horror!), and 90s animated series one has red leggings.

Which is interesting, because I think that if you asked ANYBODY to name famous characters with striped stockings, everyone would say Alice, Wednesday, maybe Pippi Longstocking (although she's more famous for wearing mismatched ones), and then some typical witches and half of Tim Burton's characters. Striped stockings are definitely strongly associated with the 'Wednesday look' (although probably not more than with the 'Alice look', btw, Alice's dress and colors also have interesting history), eventhough she never wore them... I personally like Wednesday fan art and cosplay featuring a nice pair of stiped stockings, because I like striped anything and I think that black and white stripes are very appropriate for her.
She is really something special!
She looks amazing, definitely a grown-up version.

Love Batman brooding over the top of stairs.
My Girls: Alice Mint du Jardine (Lottie), Brand New Purrezza (Amelia), Ayanamei Rei (Evie), Princess Ann/Roman Holiday (Kit), Aquel (Becky), Scarlet (Izzy), Meg (Jo-Meg), Laura (Antimony), Nahh-Ato (Shala), Chicca (Maeve), Peter Pan (Meredith), VeryBerryPop (Daisy), SDCC2016 Wonder Woman (Diana), Taffy (Tansy), Amelia (Beatrice), Steampunk Cheshire Cat (Antoinette), Arietta (Ashli), Naoko (Zoey), Mocha MIO (Nyxie), Steampunk Mad Hatter (Hattie), Sapphire Princess Knight (Roni), Steampunk Alice (Lizette), Asoka Sorayu (Nova), Steampunk Taeyang Dodo (Theodore), Steampunk Isul White Rabbit (Finn), Tiphona (Felicity), Anthy Himemiya (Ester), Mocha MIO (honey), Alte (Bethan)
(01-25-2019, 05:01 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: She's so cute! Like a bit more grown up version of Wednesday from the 60s series.

As for the stockings, that's quite an interesting topic [snipped for length]

Her face does have something of Lisa Loring in it, you're right. Also: on the stockings that... is a great point you bring up. I went and Googled and, yeah, not one wears black and white stockings. And yet it is so very Wednesday that the mind almost rebels at the idea she doesn't... Might get mine some black ones anyway, but... yeah.

(01-25-2019, 09:12 AM)dargosmydaddy Wrote: She is really something special!

Thank you!

(01-25-2019, 08:56 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: She looks amazing, definitely a grown-up version.

Love Batman brooding over the top of stairs.

I'm thinking I may try to make - at some point - the musical version of her outfit. That would be an interesting challenge. Probably Broadway, though UK tour is fun as well, and has really kick-ass boots...

Batman has to be able to brood, it's part of his whole thing!

- - -

25. Desire and Darkness
[Image: 48914668_46a42d7021aec4395e506e776e83d60b_standard.jpg]
"I feel as if a link, a thread, exists between your heart and mine. And if that, should that link be broken by distance or time... I fear my heart would cease to beat and die. And you'd soon forget about me."
"Never. I would never forget you."
Crimson Peak isn't really my favorite story, but I love the visuals. The whole thing is so darn beautiful! I want a Crimson Peak dollhouse and a Ghost Mother doll (there is a Funko Pop one, but I want real clothes). Maybe also Lucille in that blue dress.
Awww... LOL
I've never even heard of Crimson Peak, but, it's a nice sentiment.
Wednesday's face is so cute.
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
Your Wednesday is amazing. You can definitely see that she’s Morticia’s daughter.
Wow! Six pages of photos and commentary... informative and entertaining commentary... posted during what to me felt like a brief absence from the forum.
And you started out, on the day I left, with Bratzillaz Yasmina! I do have a soft spot for the Bratzillaz. I love their glass eyes.

The highlight photo of the past few weeks has to be the Wednesday reading photo. Beautiful composition and lighting.

The new, 1/3 scale Wednesday is certainly an exciting addition to your Addams-inspired clan.

Speaking of the Addams Family (which is pretty much a given in Werepuppy posts), have you ever seen the 1954 movie, The Bowery Boys Meet the Monsters? While of course I'd heard of the Bowery Boys, a group of young men who, in various combinations, featured in nearly fifty motion pictures in the 1940s and 1950s, I had never seen any of their films until this past Hallowe'en night, when I watched ... Meet the Monsters. To my surprise and delight, the 1954 film offered an obvious inspiration for the Addams Family television series that came along a full decade later, including characters that clearly inspired the small-screen portrayals of Gomez, Grandmama, and Lurch. A rather vampy, and vampiric, "niece" offers a Morticia-esque style, albeit with different substance. No Wednesday or Pugsley, however. I found the film of interest more for its obvious genesis of the TV Addams Family character designs than for the intended humor, which is forced at best. Glimpses of the Addams-esque characters may be seen in this trailer for the film, as posted to YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCgOk3UJMyQ

(01-23-2019, 03:43 PM)Elfy Wrote: Pippa reminds me of Juliet Mills from Nanny and the Professor.

This comment made my heart skip a little. I had such a crush on "Nanny" when I was a little kid watching syndicated TV reruns... even though I was a little kid and she was, y'know, an adult. I also had perhaps a bigger a crush on her automobile!
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
(01-26-2019, 02:56 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Crimson Peak isn't really my favorite story, but I love the visuals. The whole thing is so darn beautiful! I want a Crimson Peak dollhouse and a Ghost Mother doll (there is a Funko Pop one, but I want real clothes). Maybe also Lucille in that blue dress.

It's just amazing visually. I really would love a 1/6 scale version of Allerdale Hall. Well, that or the Addams Manor. Could mix the two, I suppose. I do want to - at some point - make an attempt at sewing some of those outfits, especially the purple coat Edith wears. Doll!Edith's wardrobe has - atm - been cobbled together from pieces I've managed to find cheap elsewhere, but I know nothing is period accurate from them. Ooh, that dress was lovely on her. I'll need to flick through the Art book again, see which ones I like.

(01-26-2019, 10:02 AM)Alliecat Wrote: Awww... LOL
I've never even heard of Crimson Peak, but, it's a nice sentiment.
Wednesday's face is so cute.

It's 2013 film by director Guillermo del Toro and it's a Gothic Romance. Like... proper old-school Gothic Romance. Well worth watching, though there are trigger warnings that would need to be considered before going into it. Superbly acted, though. Tom Hiddleston is the male lead and it's the film that sold me on just how good an actor he is.

And thank you! I was really drawn to the face of the doll, which just screamed Wednesday to me when I first saw them (about... It's coming up for a year, I think. I took a long time to research.)

(01-26-2019, 11:23 AM)Elfy Wrote: Your Wednesday is amazing. You can definitely see that she’s Morticia’s daughter.

Thank you! She's very much her Mother's daughter, while still equally being her father's child.

(01-26-2019, 01:35 PM)davidd Wrote: Wow! Six pages of photos and commentary... informative and entertaining commentary... posted during what to me felt like a brief absence from the forum.
And you started out, on the day I left, with Bratzillaz Yasmina! I do have a soft spot for the Bratzillaz. I love their glass eyes.

The highlight photo of the past few weeks has to be the Wednesday reading photo. Beautiful composition and lighting.

The new, 1/3 scale Wednesday is certainly an exciting addition to your Addams-inspired clan.

Speaking of the Addams Family (which is pretty much a given in Werepuppy posts), have you ever seen the 1954 movie, The Bowery Boys Meet the Monsters? [snipped for length]

Bratzillaz Yasmina was a perfect fit for Scaramouche from We Will Rock You, though it did take me time to find a jointed one. My distribution area is not the greatest, sadly. I will make her a more stage accurate outfit at some point, but I'm happy with her for now.

The Wednesday reading picture is just one of my personal faves that I've ever taken, and it's hard to think it was a rush job at the time... I'm enjoying my 1/3 scale Wednesday as well. Though my 1/3 scale girls don't really interact with the 1/6 scale lot - simply because of the height different. Well... No, okay to be more accurate, they don't interact with the fashion doll type lot as I do have some 1/6-ish dolls that they would interact with. (1/4 scale can interact with anyone tbh.)

I haven't heard of those movies, but I will need to go check this one out! It would be fascinating to see a pre-Addams Family ... Addams Family.

- - -

26. On A Leather Chair
[Image: 50994122_8de03333fd6d46550b3361d62b1bee08_standard.jpg]
... It seemed like a good idea ...
Very gothic! Keep'em coming!
That is an amazing bjd! I've always loved Wednesday's look (I actually have a WIP character named Thursday who's the daughter of Chesterton's The Man Called Thursday and whose outfit is a slight nod to hers.). Wednesday has one of the better designs of modern media: simple, yet characteristic and distinctive. She's really a great character! So glad to see more of her.
(01-27-2019, 01:00 PM)fishy Wrote: ... I actually have a WIP character named Thursday who's the daughter of Chesterton's The Man Called Thursday....

And now this topic is becoming seriously literary! Who'd a thunk it would take a doll photography forum to finally make me appreciate my university education!
LOL

I very much like the image of New Wednesday in the leather chair. She obviously needs a chair like that in her own scale. You'll get right on that, I'm sure.
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
The chair kind of looks as if it is her throne, which makes its size fit in a little better.
(01-27-2019, 06:26 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Very gothic! Keep'em coming!

Gothic is my 'thing', apparently. Thank you!

(01-27-2019, 01:00 PM)fishy Wrote: That is an amazing bjd! I've always loved Wednesday's look (I actually have a WIP character named Thursday who's the daughter of Chesterton's The Man Called Thursday and whose outfit is a slight nod to hers.). Wednesday has one of the better designs of modern media: simple, yet characteristic and distinctive. She's really a great character! So glad to see more of her.

I would love to see more of your Thursday! (Also great lit nod; I need to re-read that, it's been years.) You are right in terms of design, but I feel all the Addams have that. The looks are very simple, and yet that's why they stick in your mind so much.
Thank you!

(01-27-2019, 02:44 PM)davidd Wrote: I very much like the image of New Wednesday in the leather chair. She obviously needs a chair like that in her own scale. You'll get right on that, I'm sure.

... I have no idea where to start with that. Actually, no, I might have a clue or two. Hm....

(01-27-2019, 03:27 PM)Elfy Wrote: The chair kind of looks as if it is her throne, which makes its size fit in a little better.

Well, that's an idea...

- - -

27. Slayer. Hunter. Partners
[Image: 48974774_326a060eea0eab6eec38029ce12c45a2_standard.jpg]
In more ways than one.
Faith and Ivanna. Always together.