Werepuppy's (Attempt At) Doll-A-Day 2019!
(01-28-2019, 05:43 AM)davidd Wrote: Pics like this really make apparent how out of proportion the head size is on most playline and "caricature" type dolls. I guess I kind of get used to it, like with Bratz dolls and Monster High, when I'm posing them with dolls of a similar type, but then when they are posed with figures of a more realistic scale (if you can consider Barbie and her pals and other action figure types to be "realistic"), the large heads become obvious again.

I ran in to this issue when photographing my holiday photo story, mixing the Bratz girlz with the Frank Sinatra and Elvis figures from the Barbie line. At first the difference kind of bothered me, but then I decided... or convinced myself... that it was kind of funny and added to the surrealistic sense of fun.

That black "leather" jacket is seriously cool! Does the collar have kind of a cobweb-shape?

I will admit the different proportions of heads among the 1/6 scale lot can be kind of jarring when I have a few in a photograph together, but I've gotten to a point where - at least with some - I don't notice it as much as I used to. In some cases it feels like it works - the MH lot next to more human characters, for example.

Yes, it does! It's a really cool jacket, actually. One I wouldn't mind for myself.

(01-28-2019, 07:31 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: No idea who these characters are. Is the bighead Begoth doll? They're totally adorable!

Bighead is a BeGoth yes, she's Ivanna Scream. Her outfit consists of a t-shirt dress with an image of the infamous scream painting on it. Fun thing? When a couple of my cousins were very young - and majorly into MH - they came to visit me and saw my BeGoth dolls and fell a bit in love with them. Even their Mum thought they were nice, which was a surprise because she didn't like the monsters so much. The other is Sideshow Collectables Faith from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer range. Ivanna and Faith are one of the most stable couples in my dollverse weirdly enough...

(01-28-2019, 10:55 AM)Alliecat Wrote: It is kind of funny how you get used to the out-of-proportion heads. The first photo I shot with Pullips & J-Dolls together just felt so weird!
Looking forward to see whether you make Wednesday a new chair throne smile

It really is? Honestly, it was only a while back when I was taking a height comparison picture that I was 'aware' of how out of scale the Pullip head was compared to the others.

I do have ideas on how I could do it, but I'll need a lot more cardboard boxes than I currently have... Hmmm. Also I'll need to get foam and the right type of fabric covering from somewhere.

(01-28-2019, 12:01 PM)Cornflower Blue Wrote: Begoth, that's what she is. I couldn't figure out what Bratz she was and something didn't look right. Now I see why.

I mean, there are some similarities with the Bratz in terms of the head size compared to the body, though that just seems to be a product of the era they were both first made in - there was a lot of bigheaded dolls in the early 2000s

(01-28-2019, 07:17 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: Lovely shots, the Wednesday in the large chair/throne is excellent.

also loving ghe discussions springing up around these daily/weeklyy threads - I'm getting such an education

Thank you! And the conversations on this board are always excellent - and so many brilliant references to hunt down.

- - -

29. A Refreshing Drink
[Image: 48502371_af96642aed4a2c5515f905bd1adf951a_standard.jpg]
Something a bit different today. Tick Tock enjoys a cool drink after a long day of appointments

Messages In This Thread
RE: Werepuppy's (Attempt At) Doll-A-Day 2019! - by werepuppy - 01-29-2019, 12:27 AM