Werepuppy's (Attempt At) Doll-A-Day 2019!
(03-05-2019, 03:53 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: What a colorful company!

Card Captor Sakura really was an anime with a lot of colours, now I think back on it. In my memory, I tend to strongly associate it with pastels, but looking back there were quite a lot of bold colours too. (Also one of my all-time favourites. Next to Cowboy Bebop.)

(03-05-2019, 04:03 AM)davidd Wrote: It's kinda fun that you have some of the same relatively scarce anime dolls that another collector on the forum just posted. (Another collector who is not Tasuke!) I mean, the active group here is not particularly large, and there are a billion zillion different dolls out there in the world, and these are not exactly common, so what are the chances?

Anime-style dolls and figures seem to have been the springboard for a number of the hobbyists here.

I think that the relative scarcity of these particular dolls comes from the fact that - I think, at least - the company is no longer producing anything. (Has anyone heard anything of Trendmasters in recent years?) In terms of the chances... well, CCS was one of the most popular animes to come out of the 90s, and has an enduring popularity - though of course nothing will eclipse Sailor Moon when it comes to magical girls - so... maybe about 50-50? The anime aesthetic seems to lend itself well to dolls, and many companies in Japan are willing to make dolls of anime characters - Volks runs lotteries on more popular ones, and did recently announce they were going to make Rose of Versailles dolls... 

It's still a really interesting thing to think on, actually. Especially with Tasuke's information on the sheer variety of companies that have produced and the various different styles that are out there. 

(03-05-2019, 07:11 AM)kadytheredpanda Wrote: Nice! I used to have the entire Trendmasters line (excluding the deluxe dolls that came with additional outfits) but I'm still missing Blue Warrior and Green Fairy in my collection. I'm also considering customizing one for Tomoyo too! It's a shame that only Japan made her for both the original CCS lines and Liccarize. Tomoyo deserves more love.

Oh! How lucky for you! I only had a few, simply out of cost/availability to me at the time. Good to know I'm not the only person who had that thought of customizing to get their own Tomoyo - the Liccarize one is lovely but, cost wise, far too much out of my budget >< She really does deserve more love, I'm a bit sad that the Clear Card arc doesn't seem to have produced the same amount of merch as the original anime. 

(03-05-2019, 02:24 PM)Alliecat Wrote: Not familiar with these at all.  It's fun to see the great variety of unfamiliar dolls in people's collections.  I agree about the Reborn Body doll looking like a silent film actress.

It's one of the joys of these threads; being able to see and learm about different types of dolls and figures. Actually, thanks to a comment davidd on the picture, Reborn Body has finally clued me into her name: it's Bette! I'm kind of wanting to make her a gown that would fit with the silent film actress vibe, I'm just not sure what style, and whether or not I would be able to pull it off. My sewing skills are still rather basic.

(03-05-2019, 04:34 PM)Elfy Wrote: Looks like a troupe of travelling performers.

That isn't entirely inaccurate - Tomoyo did design each of Sakura's battle outfits as if she was going to be putting on a performance. So it's a good vibe to be getting from them, ^^.

- - - 

64. Helena's New Skirt
[Image: 52293146_57f1bc91a92c6526a21b837d9dc83acc_standard.jpg]
Because I am kind of always sewing at the moment. Here we have an a-line skirt for Helena. It has functional pockets! I did hand sew this one as it was my first time working with the pattern, and hand sewing forces me to pay more attention to how each part is put together. Helena, for her part, quite likes her new skirt, but commented she needs a top that matches a bit better. 

Sigh, dolls always have their wants, don't they?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Werepuppy's (Attempt At) Doll-A-Day 2019! - by werepuppy - 03-06-2019, 01:41 AM