Werepuppy's (Attempt At) Doll-A-Day 2019!
(03-10-2019, 04:39 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: She's cute (that bear is awesome!), but I prefer the older Pedigree ones. I coudn't keep a doll in box if somebody payed me, when I bring home new doll, I debox her even before taking off my coat...

I have a strong fondness for this one as she's one I remember well from childhood but I have to admit that... yeah, the Pedigree ones are more appealing. Generally I do debox most of my dolls or figures - there's only a few still in box. (Well, not including the Disney Limited Editions that come in the display boxes, and those are just kept in because they are so nicely displayed.) The bear is the original design for the mascot of Children in Need - Pudsey. He's always been cute. 

(03-10-2019, 08:13 AM)Lejays17 Wrote: We’ve got that outfit!  I love the rose jacket in particular.

Wow, they made. Specific Children in Need Sindy - I hope that a portion of the sale price went to the charity.  I think the bear is a cutie with the spotted bandage.

No help with the unbox or not - I unbox everything (eventually - if they’re still in a box it just means I haven’t had the time recently.)

Our Mt TBR is actually 3 different mountains, mine, his, and combined.  And we were quite restrained this expedition with only 10 books smile smile

The jacket is really awesome, it's one of the best Barbie fashion pieces I've seen in a while, and I quite like the newer stuff. Don't get me wrong, more variety in fabrics and styles would be nice, but they're not awful. 

At the time of original release, £1.35 went directly to the charity. I ... think that was at least 10% of it, but I can't remember exactly. The spotted bandage is one of the only things about Pudsey over the years that hasn't changed. 

(TBF, that's generally true of me as well - my Girl for All Time Matilda sat in her box for a while until I had the time/inclination to unbox her.)

Ooh, those are good TBR piles. I have a ton on my Kindle, as well as a small pile of physical books to be read. I've been getting more e-books recently simply as I don't have the space for physical ones, lol.

(03-10-2019, 10:18 AM)Elfy Wrote: If you’re careful you can take her out, fix the elastics and then rebox her? Whenever I hear about dolls being kept in boxes I always flash back to Toy Story 2.

Looking closely, I was able to see that some of the elastic and bits holding her in have broken. She will likely be deboxed at some point, I just don't have the time at the current moment, sadly >< And yes! Toy Story has influenced a lot about how I debox. (Fun little story: at a comic convention, I found one of the Toynami Emily the Strange bendable figures. I got a really good discount on her because the stall holder asked me what I would do and I said take her out of the package. Stall holder was one of those who believes it's better to enjoy your figures/dolls.)

(03-10-2019, 11:01 AM)Alliecat Wrote: Haha, I could never buy a doll and never open the box either!  I guess it depends what you get them for, but I never view them as potential-resale investments.   (That's what stocks are for xp LOL )  If I recall, didn't Toy Story's Stinky Pete think it was perfectly fine to have never been out of his box?  Kinda fun, that the toys' ideas reflected people's varied ideas about deboxing or not.
Anyway, a fund-raising doll is a great idea.  And like Elfy says, you could always carefully debox and repair the elastic.  But, wouldn't she want to join the adventures in your Room?  smile

Yeah, but wasn't Stinky Pete lying and able to get out of his box? I haven't seen Toy Story 2 in a long while, so I can't quite remember >< Honestly, i don't see any of my dolls with resale value - toys don't really hold value unless they're something particularly special (most obvious example would be the original run of Kenner Star Wars figures.)

She likely would - she's already giving me the cool older sister vibes; I have a feeling she would be a good influence around some people...

(03-10-2019, 01:38 PM)kadytheredpanda Wrote: Cool charity doll! Especially like the bear. I'm very much a deboxer, personally. I've had to fix the elastic on most of my Sailor Moon dolls because it's brittle. If they had fallen in box it would've driven me nuts. I've had other older dolls that were ironically worse for wear because they were stuck in their box. If you don't care about financial value you can always debox her, or as others said reelastic her and rebox her.

I'm really not that into financial value for dolls. Even if I was, this is a Vivid Imaginations Sindy, and it's the Pedigree ones that are the money-winners with the collectors, LOL. But I do agree on it being annoying about elastic becoming brittle over time and it often being worse if they're boxed for long periods. 

- - - 

69. MIB: S.H. Figuarts: Freddie Mercury
[Image: 51974291_e62dbe91750400920183b878a860cf14_standard.jpg]
Bit of an interesting one for you today. I thought it would be fun - for March - to post some of the few "mint in box" dolls and figures I have. There's really not many - I much prefer deboxing. So, first in the line up is the S.H. Figuarts Freddie Mercury figure. Queen have been one of my favourite bands for as long as I can remember, and when I first saw listings for this figure, I was quick to pre-order because there was a huge wave of want. I'm surprised the rest of the band haven't been made - Queen had a huge following in Japan.

He's a fantastic likeness and is in one of the most iconic looks for the amazing front-man. (We all wish we were as epic and as punk as Freddie. And yes, he was punk. He wanted to bring high class culture - namely opera and ballet - to the masses, and he genuinely managed to intimidate the Sex Pistols when they were recording at the same studios.) Honestly, the only reason I've never deboxed him is because I'm genuinely worried about losing pieces. Still, I'm really, really glad to be able to count him as part of my collection.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Werepuppy's (Attempt At) Doll-A-Day 2019! - by werepuppy - 03-11-2019, 04:06 AM