Werepuppy's (Attempt At) Doll-A-Day 2019!
(04-18-2019, 02:12 AM)davidd Wrote: I've never read a Poppins book. My understanding is that the film version of the character bears little resemblance to the original "book version" of Mary Poppins.

I would say that Emily Blunt's take on the character is a bit closer to the book original. The books are interesting to read - you can read various messages and mythologies and schools of thought in them. They're also quite repetitive in that they all follow the same format - Mary Poppins arrives, there is an adventure at home, an adventure while out, a trip to visit a relative, a story told, Mary Poppins leaves - which made me laugh a bit when people complained the same of the now two films.

(04-18-2019, 04:29 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: I never read a Mary Poppins book, too. I didn't like the movie, so I never felt compelled to read the books...

I found that some people who dislike the movie prefer the books. I'm one of those who likes both, though I can see why you could easily like or dislike both forms. 

(04-18-2019, 10:39 AM)Alliecat Wrote: I had no idea there were many books.  I've never read any either.
Your notebook covers are a great match for the doll.

Much to PL Travers' displeasure, I think would be safe to say, the Disney film quickly overtook the knowledge of the books for the character. Which is a shame as, for what they are, they're fun reads.
Thank you! 

(04-18-2019, 01:36 PM)davidd Wrote:
(04-18-2019, 04:29 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: I never read a Mary Poppins book, too. I didn't like the movie, so I never felt compelled to read the books...

There are ways in which to look at the original Disney Mary Poppins movie that reveal an assortment of very odd undertones and possible subtexts. Even the way the primary theme is addressed is rather interesting once you catch on to what's happening beneath the eye candy on the surface. The film takes a much more subtle and creative approach to addressing "dark" concepts than do most of the unbearably bleak modern movies. I find Mary Poppins to be an extremely interesting film. I have no idea if the books contain any of the messages that I "read in to" the film, or if any of the messages that I read in to the film were actually intended.

I would actually agree here and add that many movies can have different messages to them depending on the mindset of the individual viewer. It's actually a really fascinating thing, and it's always fun to hear what people can take away from the same media. 

(04-18-2019, 03:39 PM)Elfy Wrote: I think the Poppins books are a bit like Oz. I read the first book as a kid and saw the first film. I was quite surprised to learn later that there were a whole heap of books. Best ever kids series for me goes to Tove Jannson’s Moomin books.

I'm going to agree with this as well. I was surprised when I was little to find out how many books Mary Poppins was in, and I was just as surprised to find out there was more than just the Wizard of Oz as well. I don't think I've read any of the Moomin books, but I've seen the cartoons and they are wonderful. Did you know there's a Moomin shop in Covent Garden Market in London?

- - - 

108. Wonder(land)ful Pose
[Image: 48980228_483788b91ecd9caf8512588f5f005781_standard.jpg]
Just a portrait of Alice, as she does pose rather nicely. This is the doll from the Disney Store Film Collection line for Alice Through the Looking Glass redressed in the blue dress that originally belonged to a Jakks Pacific doll of the same character. Honestly, I just like the blue dress look a bit better than the one the doll originally came in, largely as it feels more 'Alice' to me. (Also I just like that dress in general, it was a nice piece of design work from the film.)

The Film Collection lines for their live action films are fantastic, but I think Disney always seem to not give the brilliant sculpts the face-ups they deserve. That's not to say they're awful - they're very pretty - but repaints show how much there are in these sculpts and just... makes you wish a little more attention and time was given. But then again, mass produced doll for majority consumption.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Werepuppy's (Attempt At) Doll-A-Day 2019! - by werepuppy - 04-18-2019, 09:20 PM