Werepuppy's (Attempt At) Doll-A-Day 2019!
(06-21-2019, 02:20 AM)davidd Wrote: Based on the Groove/June Planning Pullip family releases, there could be quite a few Wonderlands, each with their own Alice.
Nice charity shop find! She even has her shoes! Ulla-D was fortunate to be rescued by someone who will appreciate her.

That's actually quite a fun concept? Someone with more than one of the Alices should do a crossover - Crisis of the Multi-Wonderlands!
One of the shoes has snapped at the strap around the ankle, but a small elastic holds it together atm, and I'm sure I'll be able to glue it back together. Though with how tight they are on her, I'm not surprised it happened. Am really pleased to have this particular version.

(06-21-2019, 03:13 AM)Jubilee Wrote: I like that outfit for Draculara it reminds me of a lolita style a little bit. (Maybe except the mustard tights not really a fan of).

I do agree, this is one of my favourite looks for Draculaura, but the tights are a bit... IDK, personally I think white with the pink dots would have worked better than the yellow. They did seem to put her in yellow a lot, and I still don't get why for that...

(06-21-2019, 06:11 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: I love FL Draculaura's outfit!

Some Groove's Wonderlands have two or three Alices... I think there are many various kinds of Wonderlands... One of my favorite aspects of the Alice stories is that Carroll created very specific world, but somehow managed to keep things vague enough for illustrators to be able to go nuts with visuals. Disney version kind of killed that, because nowadays, everyone considers Disney's Wonderland the default and often the only rendition. This is not to take a jab at Disney's version per se (it's pretty cool! Although I haven't seen it...), rather the fact that most people don't really read the books anymore and don't try to imagine something different than what they've seen on TV. Uh, sorry, talking about Wonderland somehow always makes me rant...

It really is one of her best looks! 

The Disney version has some really cool parts - I love how they did the flowers - but I don't think it's necessarily the definitive version. I like how the text leaves a lot of it up to interpretation. My personal favourite - in terms of adaptations - was the 2009 Syfy mini-series simply called Alice. It was more a sequel with a touch of re-imagining, and it had this cool Deep Purple/60's vibe to it, and leaned into the card motive a bit. It had a unique look - for Wonderland - and yeah. Just stands out.  But rant away, I'm always interested in your depth of Wonderland knowledge! 

(06-21-2019, 10:30 AM)davidd Wrote: Although honestly, if I have seen it, which I think I have, it must not have been very memorable, because, while I am familiar with the appearances of most of the characters, I cannot recall any one specific event or scene from the film. I have read that Alice in Wonderland is generally considered by animation buffs to be one of the Disney studio's less successful efforts.

I could tell a story about the Disney Alice in Wonderland character, but I shall save it for another time, rather than further derailing werepuppy's topic.

I mean, from a financial point of view, at the time, Alice in Wonderland was a bust for Disney. It's gained a following in the years since and now makes them a lot of money, but at the time it was very much not one of their best. Though if you've seen some of Mary Blair's concept art for it... Oh, I wish they had gone with her work, it's such a wonderful art style. 

... I would be interested in hearing said story. 

(06-21-2019, 12:13 PM)Alliecat Wrote: Oh boy, alternate-universe Wonderlands.  Could get messy! LOL
Cheers on the charity-shop find.  It's fun to see what people find in these places.
Get-well wishes to your dad.  Hope the shingles abate soon.

Could even get, shall we say, mad? LOL.
My local charity shops really can be hits and misses depending on the time of year. There haven't been any good dolls in them in a long time, though books always seem to find something interesting.
Thanks! He's sleeping a lot because it's a good way to deal with the pain. We've been told it can take 2 - 4 weeks to get through. 

- - - 

172. Always Be There Singing Songs In My Head
[Image: 56229639_62284060d4308fa260370a06b3823db8_standard.jpg]
Poor Gazza. Being the Dreamer is not an easy job...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Werepuppy's (Attempt At) Doll-A-Day 2019! - by werepuppy - 06-22-2019, 12:21 AM