Werepuppy's (Attempt At) Doll-A-Day 2019!
(08-07-2019, 03:11 AM)davidd Wrote: Robin Hood and Little John a-runnin' through the forest
Oh de lally, oh de lally, golly what a day

That song has been rattling around in my head since I saw the movie when I was a little kid and resurfaces with fair regularity at random moments.

Prince John the Phony King of Ennnggggland comes to mind quite often, as well.

And... Phil Harris again! Plus... Roger Miller! (Roger Miller was a very popular and successful country & western music recording star in the U.S. for a decade or so. He virtually disappeared in the years following Robin Hood, but then, in the several years prior to his death, resurged to prominence by writing the score to the hit Broadway musical, Big River.)

Seriously! A lot of the songs from the so-called "Scratchy Era" (as coined by the Unshaved Mouse) of Disney animation are ridiculously catchy, and just tend to reoccur in the mind when you least ex.pect it. Robin Hood has a lot of little ditties that just... keep popping into my head and I can never guess when it'll happen. I don't think I've seen this one in a while either, so I might need to go looking for it...

It's fun looking into the recurring voice actors that Disney used in films - Phil Harris is one that had major roles in about... three films, I believe? Baloo, Little John, and O'Malley. 

(08-07-2019, 04:31 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Aaaand in the dark again...

My favorite adaptation of Robin Hood is Mel Brooks' Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

Ah! I love that film! Not seen it in so long but damn, I love it. (And now I have that song in my head!)

Disney's Robin Hood is one of those ones where they had anthropormorphic animals as the leads. There was a running joke around the time of Zootopia being released that Nick Wilde was a descendant of Robin and Marian, and I believe there was even fan-art. I think there may have even been a joking comment of agreement on the connection from one of the creators but I could be wrong. I'd need to trawl TVTropes to see if the link is still there and I do not have time to lose at the moment, LOL. 

(08-07-2019, 09:33 AM)Alliecat Wrote: I've seen lots of images from the movie but don't recall I ever saw the whole thing.  I have seen "The Aristocats" a couple of times -- it was cute.  You have quite a fun collection of movie characters.  
Hmm, maybe will have to get this movie from the library too.

I think if you're wanting figures of more 'obscure' Disney characters, Bullyland is definitely the way to go. Even with the relatively new rebranding of the official Disney Stores, and the introduction of lines that are aimed at adults and are thus featuring older films, there's still a few that haven't been touched for merchandise. (Look, last Halloween, they were releasing stuff for Hocus Pocus. The coporate giant are very slowly getting to grips with the facts that it's not going to harm them to acknowledge their 'cult classics')

I would say pick this one up! It's been a while since I saw it last, but from what I remember, it's quite a fun little romp. 

(08-07-2019, 04:51 PM)Elfy Wrote: Alan A’ Dale, I believe. Peter Ustinov and Terry Thomas were also in it. It was an impressive voice cast for the time.

Oh, it really was. Disney do have an impressive history for their voice casts. 

- - - 

219. Sekiguchi Momoko Sweet Poodle
[Image: 58330900_1f3eeb8e96465a9ed5b67cf8d10361d8_standard.jpg]
Arrival date: 7th August 2019

An early birthday gift, and isn't she just gorgeous? This is a Momoko from 2005, and to me she's the perfect doll version of Momoko Ryugasaki from Kamikaze Girls, so that's who she is around here. She is just a stunning little thing, and I am so thankful to get her as a gift. She was a second hand find on eBay hence why I was able to get her. 

Fun fact? She comes with an actual stand. Like, proper metal one. Works pretty well, actually.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Werepuppy's (Attempt At) Doll-A-Day 2019! - by werepuppy - 08-08-2019, 12:11 AM