Werepuppy's (Attempt At) Doll-A-Day 2019!
(09-01-2019, 12:07 AM)Lejays17 Wrote: Nice differences between the 3 figures, even though they are same bodies / articulation.  It’s interesting that they weren’t “improved” in some way in the 10 years between them.

I’m looking forward to seeing the series of Obi-Wan, t o see what they are going to do with it, and how it’s going to fit into the general universe.

Are you looking for a particular 6” figure / line for Vader?  Next time we visit the bookshops in the city (about a month is the next “scheduled” one), I can have a look in the collectables area, I do look quickly for Vader toys for my younger sister but not the articulated dolls in specific.

It's very amazing what slight differences in face-ups can make to the exact same sculpt. Of course, we all know that from Pullip and friends, but it's still amazing to see the same thing work on a different kind of doll with a very different head-scale. I would say that the biggest difference between the bodies would be that - to me at least - the doll from 2005 feels to be made of a slightly thicker plastic/vinyl. Just slightly. And honestly, that could be from different production methods for all I know. 

I am intrigued to see what'll happen - it's clearly during the time between Ep 3 and 4 which... does provide a lot of interesting story-telling in terms of just how he managed to evade Vader so long. (I still buy the meme on Tumblr that Vader just refused to look anywhere with sand. Because humor.)

Well, ideally the Black Series 6" Vader, if possible, but please don't put yourself out. Thank you for the kind offer, however! 

(09-01-2019, 03:35 AM)davidd Wrote: The Sekiguchi Momoko dollies have the sweetest faces, and their costumes are very nice and fairly good quality. Those bodies, though, are total dollar store knock-off grade junk. Nonetheless, I adore my version of Cousin Monday, and the "amusement value" I find in her is worth what she cost.

I don't know if it would be possible to rebody a Momoko head on to a higher quality body. But since the Momoko bodies are rather petite, the costumes would probably not fit well on other bodies.

I am grateful that you have three Momokos, because I find the adventures of your Momoko characters in The Room to be endlessly entertaining.

I do find that the quality of costuming, paint, and hair tends to make up for the bodies. Even with their relative "cheapness" in comparison with those other factors, it's still telling that they're better than the standard Mattel body. (Obviously not counting the Made to Move bodies here, which I really wish would just become the default body.)

As for rebodying... probably Obitsu would work the best as they have the same kind of proportions. An Integrity body would also work if you were just looking for quality and had no interest in their outfits fitting. If there was a pale skinned petite made to move, that would probably also work.

Aw, thank you! Ophelia and Monday have been such fun to write for. Just wait till Momoko herself makes an appearance! 

(09-01-2019, 03:56 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Cuties! Do you plan to get any PetWORKS ones?

To be perfectly honest, when it comes to 1/6 Asian fashion dolls (be it Pullips, Pure Neemo or Momoko), I do think they could improve more often, I think that the currrent bodies are a bit dated... I also don't get why Azone released Emotion body only to never use it except for anime collabs and a random release now and there... I think Obitsu might be good for 1/6, but I don't have any, so I don't know for sure. I guess that 1/3 is kind of a default scale for Asian doll market, so most development goes into those sizes...

I ... genuinely don't know. The PetWORKS Momoko dolls tend to be a lot more ex.pensive, even second-hand. I'm not actually sure why that is - there doesn't seem to be a quality difference between the two, and it's not like the PetWORKS dolls offer more detail. It's just... one of those things.

Obitsu tends to own the market for 1/6 scale for Asian fashion dolls, I think, Well, no, it would be Licca-chan who tends to have those bendy limbs that are just wire covered with vinyl, but it's Obitsu for those who like seeing their articulation. My 1/6 Wednesday is on an Obitsu body, though I might need to replace it as the hip joint has broken a bit..

You might be right in the 1/3 scale being the default...

- - - 

244: Designer Evil Queen
[Image: 59406071_367b1f7fca8d3dd49d41332905d2b5f9_standard.jpg]
I managed to get my limited edition Disney dolls out of their space and down for some photos. I have to admit these aren't all that great, as they were largely just me attempt to take photographs in the limited time and space I had at that point. So, Evil Queen! The Designer Villain range really went for too large an edition size per doll, so I managed to get the two I do own on deep discount. I think EQ came off one of the best in this range, as her own look tended really well towards glamming up. 
Though a funny side note for you all. My friends and I think the look here makes her the spitting image of a West End performer we are fans of. Said performer played - to sum the character up as simply as possible - an evil queen. We laughed.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Werepuppy's (Attempt At) Doll-A-Day 2019! - by werepuppy - 09-02-2019, 01:06 AM