Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020)
(02-27-2020, 03:01 AM)davidd Wrote: On the "consent" thing and the prince, I always thought the idea was that Sleeping Beauty was so radiantly beautiful that he simply could not help himself. And that it was a relatively chaste kiss, not a full-on make-out session or anything. Back in the day, a kiss was sometimes a symbol of respect and honor and fealty and not just romantic (or lustful). To break the curse, someone had to pledge eternal loyalty to her, which is what the kiss represents. It's not just, "whoa, what a babe, I gotta get in on that action."

The "PC Police" are ruining fairytales. I'm glad you're doing what you can by taking fairytales back to their grisly, violent, horror and base-emotion infused roots, effectively illustrating them with your artfully edited photos. The processed pic is especially fine today.

See, that's why I prefer when the fairy tale makes it clear that the kiss is necessary to break the curse, because then he's simply doing the right thing. I assume that it has always been that way, and it just became so ubiquitous that a lot of fairytale collectors didn't feel the need to put it there while they were jotting down the regional variants, and it later mutated into variants where the curse just ex^pires after a century.

I always had troubles with 'true love's first kiss', because I couldn't imagine how could true love be born of just seeing a gorgeous girl for a few seconds. Infatuation, yes, but true love? Also, true love obviously doesn't need to be mutual, because she's still fast asleep and doesn't know anything when it all goes down. How does he know that they'll get along and be able to support each other through the life's many hardships? And the less-than-hypnotizingly-beautiful princesses are obviously screwed... Then again, so are the princes whose trusty steeds aren't perfectly white and whose armor has only average shine, I guess.

The kiss being the pledge of eternal loyalty is actually a very romantic notion, and the prince pledging his loyalty to the lady in need in a knightly, self-giving manner definitely comes across heaps better than him basically claiming her as his own without her having any say in it, and by doing such a thing, he gives her both quite a decent reason to fall for him and the freedom to choose not to. That's neat.

In the end, though, it's a fairytale, and that in itself is a guarantee that the true love exists because of course it does, that they are in fact perfect for each other and will live happily ever after no matter what.

Fairytales actually started to get ruined long before political correctness became a thing. Gradually, they stopped being educational tales about facing and overcoming evil and misfortune and became bedtime stories, and their new purpose was to lull innocent little children to sleep, so all the nightmare-inducing stuff had to be cut. And today's society seems to get more and more... frail, when it comes to what counts as nightmare-inducing.

And finally, thank you very much!

(02-27-2020, 05:04 AM)werepuppy Wrote: I will admit - regarding the consent issue - the film 'Maleficent' did actually good a decent enough job with it. The Prince in question points out it would be extremely rude, and that he barely knows the girls, but he's yelled at to do it by the three fairies who raised her because they're kind of deseperate. Of course, keeping in with that film, it doesn't do anything and the kiss of true love that breaks the spell is a more ... familal kind on the forehead.

As for other re-tellings? Well, it's better than the versions where S.B. gets pregnant and is awoken by her baby sucking the posion from her finger...

Briar looks very in command here!

I've seen Maleficent, and liked how they handled it.

Oh yeah, those kinds of retellings... I always found them fascinating, for various reasons, and not exactly in a positive way, but fascinating nevertheless. Punzie has quite a spectacular preggers one, too.

Briar is the most adventurous one of these three. Zombie Sleeping Beauty is a zombie, so if she decides to move, she mostly just shuffles around, and the fake-bisque Briar Rose is a chill lady who prefers books, tea and witty banter to action adventures.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - by neon_jellyfish - 02-27-2020, 06:20 AM