Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020)
Thank you guys!

Day 59

I'm working on more lore for Oddwickshire, and one of the things I want to share (eventhough it's not really done) are Oddwickshire holidays.

Today is the start of The Fairytale Festival, which technically lasts for three days, but posters appear a month before the actual date and the celebrations usually take place for a whole week. Fairytales (which are often more like ghost stories with a lot of fairytale imagery) are very important part of Oddwickshire culture, so the Festival is a big deal.

The Oddwick Library publishes a special fairytale book every year (there are usually only three or four tales, but there are beautiful full-color illustrations for practically every paragraph, and also a set of bookmarks, one for each tale), in regular (softcover) and collector editions (those are gilded hardbacks, each includes a high-quality print of one of the illustrations to frame and put up).

Toymakers offer new toys based on fairytales featured in the book, there are numerous masquerade balls, theaters present fairytales adapted into plays, cafés have special menus, bookshops host readings... You get the idea. 

I was hoping to come up with an Oddwickshire fairytale and make a book cover or illustration, but I've been having too many migraines and low-pressure spells, plus I still can't write (although I do have a rough idea what it would be about), so it's just Iselle, the head day-librarian of the Oddwick Library.

[Image: 05dcebe5d1df4d7d05aa896db9d2e9e5.jpg]

Original:

[Image: 2b5b9921f2879fcca05a27a01840aa5e.jpg]

The Festival is obviously inspired by the Tell A Fairy Tale Day. I'd love for it to be a big deal with new books and everything, so I decided to at least make it a big deal in Oddwickshire. I love fairytales, so Oddies do too, naturally.
Most Oddwickshire holidays - too long, imma call 'em Oddlidays - are inspired by our special days, but a lot of them have an Oddie twist.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - by neon_jellyfish - 02-29-2020, 03:10 AM