Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020)
(05-25-2020, 11:33 PM)werepuppy Wrote: Oh they are such pretty flowers and the zombie princess seems so happy with them. The flitered version has this sense of calm to it? It's very nice.

Thank you very much!

(05-26-2020, 08:08 AM)Loona Wrote: I love this mini size. I have always admired orchids, but never considered getting one, because I've always heard they prefer a bit more humidity - and our flat couldn't be further from humid.This may be a dumb question (I live with over 50 pots of plant babies, but have zero experience with orchids) is she actually a different, smaller species, or only a younger plant?

My flat is also quite dry, but the orchids are fine when I spray them now and then, so you could try, too. Especially phals are quite resilient plants, they can thrive even in less-than-ideal conditions. Mini phals are sub-species of normal phalaenopsis, they're this small when they're fully grown.

They were cultivated to be this small, it's not natural size for phals, so some of them can start growing bigger after some years. That generally happens with more altered cultivars - with age they change closer to what their parents were like, for example, plants with specific color that was achieved by cross breeding two different colored variants will change to one of the original colors. One of my minis started getting bigger after six years, and now it's somewhere between the mini and the normal size. It doesn't seem to be getting bigger any more, so I don't think it will ever develop full-sized blossoms.

(05-26-2020, 09:13 AM)davidd Wrote: LOL  I understood that, but chose to post my cleverly witty comment anyway!  yay

Zombie chick's vacant-eyed ekspression is... appropriately vacant-eyed and undead-ish. That must be one o' them rare jungle flowers with powerful hallucinogenic effects.

Nah, I mean, maybe it is hallucinogenic, but Punzie sports the top notch zombie exřpression all the time.

(05-26-2020, 11:11 AM)Alliecat Wrote: Oooh, pretty.  Minis are great because I can cram more on a windowsill.  Have you ever tried making crosses?  It sounds like a lot of work, with the culture medium, etc.  Yay the dendro's still going!  I did surgery on my giant out-of-control potinara last week.  One of the 3 pieces remaining might be OK... Oh My  wish me luck too...

No, I don't feel confident enough to try crossing, plus, I only have so much space for them, so I like to save it for new plants that I know will work (or don't know but got them as a present).

Oooh, a pot! Keeping my fingers crossed for it! I only have one hybrid, Acacallis x Zygopetalum, and she's gorgeous, but never blossoms here. Flower shop lady said 'easy to grow, pretty much same as phals'. Taradiddle! Still green and growing, though.

...Is it just me, or are we slowly turning this place into an orchid forum? LOL

(05-26-2020, 05:03 PM)Elfy Wrote: Those flowers are gorgeous.

(05-26-2020, 05:20 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: The flowers are lovely and Zombie Rapunzel has the best colour scheme to go with them.

Thank you both!!!

Day 147

ADAW #20
Today ve celebrrate the Drracula Day!

[Image: e0fb017779d5aed6e889fccb5dafbbd4.jpg]

[Image: d13b7fb48b12bfceb3ac72b34d223cb6.jpg]

[Image: e96eb839169b254e27c47c34e7ceabc4.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - by neon_jellyfish - 05-27-2020, 12:17 AM