Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020)
Thanks guys!

(07-05-2020, 02:57 AM)davidd Wrote: Now I shall need to find a thoroughly annotated version of the stories that details and ex-plains all of the above elements. Even that, though, would be insufficient to overcome my newly realized colossal well of ignorance, as obviously I'm not even a fraction as well educated as a typical 19th century child, for every bit of this content has gone unrecognized by me until now.

You see, I believe all this witty frosting isn't there for children, but for adults. I've noticed this with most of my favorite children's books, there's always an extra layer or two that offer some sort os social commentary, usually in humorous tone, that I didn't notice as a kid, but enjoy it now. They might be like easter eggs for parents who read these books to their kids. And even then, I don't think your average 19th century British adult was able to see through all that (or was fluent in French and Latin). I don't think you can really judge era's 'average' or 'typical' by the best that we have from that era, and that even nowadays stands out as excellent and exceptional. Well, you can, but then you'll make yourself feel stupid and uneducated, eventhough you aren't.

Day 187

Oddlidays!

[Image: c28aedf210bbbe3d877f48a5c3a213b6.jpg]

Today is Stripey Socks Day in Oddwickshire, and it's a small one, but it's fun nevertheless, and you can easily celebrate it in our world, too. Everyone is wearing stripey socks (or stockings or pantyhose) on this day. There's quite a lot of stripey-socks die-hard fans, who will wear stripey socks in more ways than one. Aside from putting a pair on their feet, they make entire outfits out of stripey socks, wear them around their necks like scarfs or necklaces, ladies incorporate them into elaborate baroque-like hairstyles, and even match their make-up to their stripey treasures... There's also a purist faction of the fandom, they believe the best way to celebrate stripey socks is simply wearing them on your legs, dressed in black, so that the stripes have space to really shine. For some people, the one true way is to wear stripey socks that they knitted themselves.

A lot of households and even businesses hang whatever stripey socks they can find in their windows, so stripey socks are pretty much everywhere.

There are all sorts of color combinations to be seen, but the classic black&wite stripes are still the most popular by a large margin.

Fashion salons fill their shop windows with stripey socks laid out in fantasque arrangements and offer new collections and sales.

In addition to socks, there are a lot of other stripey things for you to enjoy. A lot of stripey candy, because candy makers and patisseries also wanted to join in on the fun. And profits. Stripey gloves of all kinds are getting popular lately, especially sets with matching socks. Arm- and legwarmers are also rather hip. And, of course, toys.

Most bars and pubs will hold stripes-themed dance parties, the ones at Grey Lady's in Oddwick's Graveyard district are especially extraordinary, they're pretty much indispensable part of Stripey Socks Day tradition at this point.

Have a stripespiffing, socksquisite day!

I didn't post June event due to migraines. It's basically something like Carnevale di Venezia, but it's held on summer solstice.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - by neon_jellyfish - 07-05-2020, 11:19 PM