Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020)
(07-17-2020, 12:44 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Czech stores got a few of these dolls, they lasted for about a week, and then they were gone and nothing new appeared. I was lucky to get Tristen when I did, I stumbled upon her during my MH hunt and immediately fell in love with her, and when I came back to get the tan / ambiguously brown one (I don't remember her name), they were gone. I also wanted the black girl, but I never saw her in stores, only the three lighter ones.

That's a thing here - if there are four core characters in the line and one of them is black, we only get the three non-black ones. It's more that people never buy them rather than store owners being racist, they just don't order dolls that won't sell. We used to only get black dolls when they were distributed in assorted cases with white dolls. Thankfully, it's been slowly changing as of late.

Well, I was about to say the other doll must have been Arizona, but then I took a glance at my girls on the shelves behind me, and it could totally have been Melrose too. Tristen is so pale compared to the rest of the bunch that basically everyone apart from Leigh - who was a redhead only available in the third, rooted-hair wave - looks tan next to her smile

That's a thing here too sadly - I don't check shelves enough to confirm this myself (and I'm not interested in doll lines that have this the worst, like Barbie), but I have seen too many local doll collectors complaining about this issue to believe it. Like them having to hunt for a doll for with a darker skin tone for a longer time, or even asking&receiving a confirmation from a distributor that a certain doll is not getting imported, and they have/had to buy them from overseas. The pattern is clearly visible (for instance, the wheelchair Barbie with the darker skin tone, or MTM Barbies with the darkest skin tones, never made it here according to them). I also like to think (or hope) that this is happening because these dolls are sead to not sell so well - though I find it harder and harder to believe this. I know most dolls are still bought for kids, but would the rest really not sell with the increasing amount of collectors out there? Perhaps this principle would need some reviewing (and feedback towards the distributors, since they have no way of seeing or determining how many dolls are purchased from abroad by individuals).

I guess I got lucky with some MT items in the Czech Republic then - I found and bought fashion packs there in 2014 (and they weren't even expensive - I guess they were leftover stock that accidentally sat in a storage box for years)! I found them in a Sparkys in a big shopping centre at one end of the underground. That shop was full of surprises to me: they also had Monster High Sweet Screams dolls, which I've never seen in person.

Your Wolf sisters are lovely! I needed some warming up to both Clawdeen and Howleen (as dolls. I bought more than one version of each for their stocks before I decided to keep one, which then became more Sweatdrop ), but now I have multiples of both in my collection. I'd really like to downsize my MH crew, because just having them in a box doesn't make sense, and I'd like to sell some of these girls too, but I really struggle with deciding which versions I should keep.

(07-17-2020, 03:02 PM)Alliecat Wrote: Also, why the heck are all the second-hand ones on eBay BALD??  Where have all their wigs gone???  And if they're a weird size why are so many of them nude?  Who else can wear their clothes?  It's bizarre.  I was looking at a few listings again; a couple have "very faint marks on their faces that I think would come off with some soap"... um, well, why don't you try that before you list them???  Those kinds of sales listings always make me roll my eyes.  I saw another I was tempted by till in the closeup I saw she also has marks on her face.  oh well sad
(Also, Loona -- you've added something to your signature ... OMG, way over there in Hungary you're a fan?  Heart 2 )

I believe their weird size is exactly the answer to why many of them are being sold nude: people keep the extra stock and wigs for their own MTs they decide to keep, because it's difficult to find any other clothes that will fit them. I have to admit I did that too in the past (both Tristen and Arizona came to me nude) - but I made sure to resell the dolls in MT fashion pack clothes, not nude.

Haha, I have to admit I like those kind of ads, because the sellers not taking the time to try to fix their stuff up usually also means that they are calculating these defects into the cost. I've scored loads of good deals as a result of the seller not even trying to clean the thing they sold, and selling it cheap as a result. I as a seller though, always try to fix things up. I like to have that extra cash a clean and flawless item can bring LOL

Oh yeah - give me (almost) anything 80s new wave, and I'll dance&sing along Heart 2 The husband (also a fan) was playing this one the other night, and it got stuck  in my head. I like these lines the best in it (plus it's also funnily personal to me, because my eyes are rather sensitive to natural light, and I tend to wear sunglasses even in light conditions and situations that are tolerable for others) smile
My Flickr Gallery blush

"I wear my sunglasses at night
So I can, so I can
See the light that's right before my eyes"

Messages In This Thread
RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - by Loona - 07-17-2020, 10:22 PM