Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020)
(09-17-2020, 10:17 PM)werepuppy Wrote: Ooh, that looks fantastic, the way that Lizzie sort of towers over the book.

Also that is a fascinating lesson on bookbinding and the idea of one textbook to last you the entire length of your studies. I ... kind of wish it was like that for more things, actually.

Thank you!

Yeah, me too. The 'excuse' for our current textbooks is that when you buy a new one for each year, you get the most up to date materials, but it's bullcrap, because our school system is awfully slow at incorporating new things. When I was in elementary school, a lot of stuff was taught in the exact same way as when my parents were in elementary school. Up to date my arse.

(09-18-2020, 12:51 AM)davidd Wrote: This post piqued my curiosity, so I wasted invested some time on line researching book-binding schools in the United States. There are several schools in the U.S., most of which are independently run, that offer at least a few courses in bookbinding. The most common programs seem to be short-duration seminars or crafts classes. I found one school, the American Academy of Bookbinding, that offers non-accredited diploma programs in bookbinding.

In the States, bookbinding seems to be looked upon more as a traditional craft than as an industrial trade.

Oh, I worded it badly (to be honest, I don't like my English today, but... booktalk!), I didn't mean the US don't have bookbinding courses, I meant that type of vocational school. The type where you go for professional training on secondary education level and it's like a high school, but for a specific job.

Here, link. To be honest, I find it confusing. All those different things being called college make it messy.

Bookbinding as a trade is in decline, too, mass-production doesn't really involve hand-binding anymore, but you can still find small binderies that do stuff like binding magazines into books for collectors, binding diploma theses, restore damaged books (not valuable antique ones, normal books), small stuff like that. There's not a lot of them, though.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - by neon_jellyfish - 09-18-2020, 01:43 AM