Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020)
Thank you very much, everyone!!!

Day 283

These two books aren't treasures because of their age or inaccessibility, they're simply some of my favorite stories. They're The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov and Jessie and Morgiana by Alexander Grin. Bulgakov and Grin are among my favorite authors (I can't do one favorite of anything, there's too much good stuff to ex!perience, and picking just one seems almost wasteful...), and I love pretty much everything they wrote, but that would be a big pile, so I chose these two books as representatives. Spokesbooks?

Both of them read like fairytales, but they are different. Grin dreams of a romantic world where the good always wins, and his stories really are like modern fairytales, with pure and pretty girls and brave and righteous men to win their hearts, crowds of pirates and adventurers and the most suave villains made of nothing but evil. Bulgakov uses the fairytale-like form and comedy to deliver mordant commentary on the state of things in his part of the society - that is, in Soviet Union.

Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita was, of course, translated to English, I don't think Jessie and Morgiana was, but some of other Grin's works were. Scarlet Sails are/is (not sure here, in Czech it would be 'are', but I guess 'is' is the right one in English?) a magical short story, so magical that I don't even feel like ranting about stupidity of insta-love, because for once, it totally works.

[Image: 277aaecdab8ab4b7ce2bde6e5b1ef415.jpg]

Rochelle, because sweetness and courage are qualities found in both Bulgakov's and Grin's heroines.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - by neon_jellyfish - 10-09-2020, 10:07 PM