Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020)
(12-01-2020, 11:02 AM)Alliecat Wrote: I have my own misheard lyrics, an annoying one in particular that I finally looked up, and even having seen what it was "supposed" to be, I still only hear the wrong, dumb, lyric LOL

Haha, I also have a lot of my own, but they are usually just misheard words or phrases (I guess one cannot help when they are not native speakers of a language and have a smaller set of vocabulary to choose from). And yes, they sometimes naughtily linger even after I look the lyrics up or come across them another way. A few that remain in my head actually seem to make more sense in my versions than the originals, which might be the reason for me not being able to "re-learn" the correct versions Tongue and then there are some overly funny classics that I know are wrong, but refuse to sing them correctly because of their added fun factor and the memories ("Richard touch me" instead of "Reach out touch faith" in Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus is a classic example. I don't think I knew the word "faith" when I heard this song first, as a child. It's even funnier that, already as an adult, I actually found others who also misheard the line like this XD ).

(12-02-2020, 04:58 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: I don't know anything about Hungarian folklore. I never tried to research it, I'm still busy trying to learn about my own, but I wonder what I would find if I did. I believe that Transylvania being a vampire hangout is a result of Dracula's popularity rather than local beliefs, and that Hungarian names of modern vampires are a tribute to the great Béla. I don't know how vampires spread from Slavs to other nations (except for finding fertile burial ground in Greece), but I believe that historically, vampires weren't a major Transylvanian thing. Tepes was linked with vampirism for the first time in Dracula, not before that, and it's obvious from the book that Stoker had no idea about Transylvania and its people, his Transylvania is full of Czechs and Slovaks, with a very few Hungarians, and practically no Romanians, complete opposite from reality. I think he simply chose a mysteeeerious, daaark, and distant region with a controversial historical figure as its no.1 celebrity, because it was perfect for his book, and that he didn't actually do any research on vampire folklore (it's hard to hold that against him, reliable sources are hard to find today, let alone back then).

I like Orlok the best, but I consider him his own beast, eventhough he was based on Dracula. I think that Nosferatu becoming what it did because they didn't get the rights to make an actual Dracula movie was a good thing. Béla-Dracula is my favorite Dracula-Dracula (gee, what a sentence LOL), as in, my favorite Dracula, not Dracula-inspired character. He's my default Dracula, and every new one gets compared to him (and none ever impressed me nearly as much, not even Christopher Lee).
Yep, true. that's what I shortly hinted at by saying the classic books weren't written by locals - and yeah, Stoker's knowledge of the region was neither extensive, nor accurate. Not saying because I have anything against the book or Stoker, I don't, but it's still true regardless smile
Most of our folklore I'm aware of seems to be rather tales of people and families, with only a few non-human creatures or phenomena, too few to be interesting enough to me. Sad as this sounds, I found our folklore and tales a tad bit boring for my taste already as a child, and thus they never tickled my interest enough to look into it more when I was older. There might totally be more to it, and I just missed out on those bits because the interesting stuff never made it into children-suitable versions or tales...

I agree about Orlok and Nosferatu as a film, I like it a lot due to its differences, even if these differences are changes resulting from the fuss around the rights. And I'm the same about Béla, I compare everyone to him, and none were a match so far smile

I *ADORE* today's photo and the doodle! These girls are just so cute, their pastel minimal colours are eyecandy to me, and I love how the doodle takes this on too, and uses only their 2 colours. The fluffy pair is adorable, and another vote goes for those ears being cute. They are not weird at all.
My Flickr Gallery blush

"I wear my sunglasses at night
So I can, so I can
See the light that's right before my eyes"

Messages In This Thread
RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - by Loona - 12-02-2020, 05:23 AM