What tips can you give for photographing your dolls?
What kind of camera do you have? It does make a difference when you're aiming for certain effects.

Backgrounds: David mentioned velvety blacks. I have been able to achieve this on a couple occasions, once by using RAW mode on a DSLR. I typically stand my dolls up, and when I'm shooting, I use the rule of thirds. You know on Instagram, when you upload a picture, there's a 3x3 grid. The goal is to place your subject in the intersection of those boxes. It makes your photos more interesting. My dolls are often centered toward the right side (preference) or in the middle. The shot I recently did with Tarryn, however, she is positioned in the top row to give a more interesting visual effect. I recommend checking out this technique. Depending on your csmera, it may be equipped with the 3x3 grid setting, so you can use it as a guide.

When I first began doll photography, I began using poster boards. I started creating more realistic backgrounds when my photography teacher told me to work more on my backgrounds. I just started adding little knick knacks and creating furniture items. A lot of my furniture comes from the dollar store, and it's not Barbie scale, but it works and adds interest. I started making dioramas 8 years ago from poster board, so all I do is buy stationary paper and mount it with paper glue. Easy backgrounds in minutes! I'm now using trifold project boards for easier portability and storage.

Lighting: When I started out, I also used the diffusion method! But I took a lot of my shots outdoors, so I didn't worry. Recently, I found that those little wire lights also provide good lighting while being a aesthetically pleasing; I will post pictures later, but my photos came out surprisingly nice on a rainy day indoors with very grim lighting.

Does your camera choose settings for you? If possible, try adjusting the ISO, which increase the camera's sensitivity to light. Don't set the ISO too high, or you will have grainy photos. High would be like 500+, but try taking pictures at different ISO levels to see when the grain starts becoming noticeable. Also playing with the white balance settings may help. You don't have to use daylight settings for daylight; maybe the shade setting looks better.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What tips can you give for photographing your dolls? - by Aijo - 08-17-2020, 09:20 AM