Introducing B.O.S.S. (Big Obitsu Stica Stack)
I don't know if it's antique, or not. The problem is that they're are so many companies emulating the antique doll STYLE, and have been doing so for very many years... The porcelain doll aesthetic seems to have been cemented in the middle to late Victorian period.

Odds are, the doll want super-valuable: she was in pretty terrible shape.

On the other hand, our local Thrift Mart is pretty odd: I picked up part of a shou-chiku-bai themed New Year's bento set thingy (I forget the name!) and a furoshiki in the same trip. That store has its moments of finding rare items.

(I've found numerous Heian-era themed items, too- including a court lady doll, a picture book of Hachikazuki Monogatari in Portuguese, and a large furoshiki covered with scenes from Tale of Genji there- all for a few dollars. I'm a Heian-era literature fanatic. I've about just decided that God loves me and places those things at an Alabama Thrift Mart just for me. I'm probably the only Heian-era lit fan in the entire state..!)

They usually have several nice porcelain dolls, too- with the occasional Barbie.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Introducing B.O.S.S. (Big Obitsu Stica Stack) - by fishy - 03-11-2016, 01:38 PM