Aijo's Dolls (updated 17 Sep. 2024, p. 14)
(09-18-2024, 11:13 AM)davidd Wrote: Congratulations on the Big Move... and on finding a place with marvelous gardens... and spider lilies!

I had spider lilies in the yard when I lived... in the place I foolishly moved away from nine years ago. Nine years ago this week, in fact... but that's a topic for another discussion.

I've driven different routes through Mississippi several times over the last three years, going back and forth between Utah and Florida, and I've always been intrigued by Mississippi. The parts I've seen have been extremely scenic, with lots of green everywhere; more semi-tropical in the south, and more temperate grassland and forest further north. I've been sufficiently interested to look at home prices online once in a while; and there seem to be places where there are nice houses for reasonable prices.

I also read recently -- I can't believe this is actually true -- that Mississippi is one of the few states in the US in which the population is actually declining, with more people moving out than moving in. That sounds good to me. I am so ready to escape from people!

The pictures suggest that you are adapting well to your new surroundings. If you feel the inclination, I would love to learn more about the adjustment process and what it's like learning to fit in there in Mississippi after coming from the West Coast (where I have spent most of my life -- although not in California).

Have you started saying "y'all" yet? (And no, I'm not making fun of the accents. I thought it was really nice how in some areas of the southern states people say "y'all" just as part of conversation; it's not exaggerated like in movies of TV shows, it's just a part of the local speech patterns, and usually conveys a tone of friendliness.)

Yes, it's definitely very beautiful I have to say. I live in the northern part where there are forests and farmland. It reminds me a bit of my travels through northern California and the Sequoias. But, it's very picturesque. The homes are very reasonably. You get a lot of land for a low price! I don't mind the country life, but I am missing all of my favorite local spots from California. My bonus mom was shocked to learn I'm the type of person to travel just to eat a specific restaurant. LOL

I think the biggest adjustment for me is the overall friendliness of people. The clerks will ask you how you're doing, make some small chat, tell you to have a blessed day. In California, people tend to not always look like they're having a good day or are never in the mood to talk. I am usually quiet, so I don't do chit chat well. Even my new church...everyone is so friendly and involved. I got quite overwhelmed by it!

I've succeeded in maintaining my California accent! I'd like to keep it because it makes me stand out, but I have a cousin who came from another state to live in Mississippi, and she ended up with a complete Southern country accent. But, I haven't been around a lot of people much to hear the "y'all" used in everyday speech.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Aijo's Dolls - by davidd - 04-27-2019, 04:02 PM
RE: Aijo's Dolls - by dargosmydaddy - 04-28-2019, 01:25 AM
RE: Aijo's Dolls - by Alliecat - 04-28-2019, 02:50 AM
RE: Aijo's Dolls - by werepuppy - 04-28-2019, 03:41 AM
RE: Aijo's Dolls - by Aijo - 04-29-2019, 02:29 PM
RE: Aijo's Dolls - by fishy - 04-29-2019, 04:52 PM
RE: Aijo's Dolls - by Goblin - 04-30-2019, 10:16 AM
RE: Aijo's Dolls - by Aijo - 05-01-2019, 04:14 AM
RE: Aijo's Dolls - by Aijo - 05-01-2019, 04:20 AM
RE: Aijo's Dolls - by werepuppy - 05-01-2019, 04:22 AM
Happy Reiwa - by Aijo - 05-07-2019, 10:42 AM