Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
I LOL'd too. Cheers for another run through the alphabet!

(06-03-2020, 09:25 PM)werepuppy Wrote: Definition: In old naval slang, an X-catcher or X-chaser was someone who was good at math—literally someone good at working out the value of x.
I wonder in which era and which navy. "Mental Floss"'s "x" page is interesting, but that's not a term I've come across before. I wonder where they got it.
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
Like the Beatles meme, but where’s Ringo?
(06-06-2020, 10:46 AM)Alliecat Wrote:
(06-03-2020, 09:25 PM)werepuppy Wrote: Definition: In old naval slang, an X-catcher or X-chaser was someone who was good at math—literally someone good at working out the value of x.
I wonder in which era and which navy.  "Mental Floss"'s "x" page is interesting, but that's not a term I've come across before.  I wonder where they got it.

Primarily in the Royal Navy of the UK, early 20th century.

The term was apparently in common use circa 1907, when it was used in a letter by an applicant to Robert Scott's Antarctic ex-pedition: source

Another corroboration of early 20-Century usage suggests the term was still in use during the era of air travel: source

Another primary source use of the term is in the novel, Pincher Martin, O.D.: A Story of the Inner Life of the Royal Navy by "Taffrail," published in 1916 by W. & R. Chambers, Limited of Edinburgh: source 

The term appears near the middle of Chapter V:
He was an x-chaser, in that he had done remarkably well in all his different examinations; but besides being an ex-pert theorist, he was an officer who knew the practical side of his business from A to Z.

(In addition to meaning someone who is good at mathematics, the term "x-chaser" also applies to anyone who strives to achieve excellence across a variety of fields.)
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
(06-05-2020, 10:15 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Don't underestimate the importance of a good beauty sleep, little Baby-Yoda-But-Not-Really, you'll get wrinkles unnecessarily fast. Then again, maybe that's actually a desirable result with this species...

Hard to tell. Still only little and needs their naps, though! 

(06-06-2020, 02:06 AM)davidd Wrote: Yeah, yeah, yeah! That Beatles meme is brilliantly funny!

Hey, nice play of light and shadow in the Sleepy Yoda pic!

Thank you! I got very lucky when I was taking it. 

(06-06-2020, 10:46 AM)Alliecat Wrote: I LOL'd too.  Cheers for another run through the alphabet!

Thanks! I've got another one planned out! 

(06-06-2020, 12:24 PM)Elfy Wrote: Like the Beatles meme, but where’s Ringo?

Yoda is in the place of Ringo - part of the joke I think. 

- - - 

158. Crazy Little Thing Called Love

[Image: 70618770_50db251ede4d86d4193b2e5479cfffc0_standard.jpg]

Because I wanted to take a photo of Gaz and Scara, really...
Neat posing! My crew never wants to hold more complicated poses.
As neon notes, getting the figures to hold a pose like this is impressive! While the Bratzillaz have a range of motion, getting them to maintain a pose while balancing can be problematic and frustrating. This is a fun pic!
Lol at the Beatles meme, that’s brilliant!

Baby Yoda looks like any number of small kids who insist they aren’t tired and don’t need a nap until they face-plant from sheer exhaustion.
My Girls: Alice Mint du Jardine (Lottie), Brand New Purrezza (Amelia), Ayanamei Rei (Evie), Princess Ann/Roman Holiday (Kit), Aquel (Becky), Scarlet (Izzy), Meg (Jo-Meg), Laura (Antimony), Nahh-Ato (Shala), Chicca (Maeve), Peter Pan (Meredith), VeryBerryPop (Daisy), SDCC2016 Wonder Woman (Diana), Taffy (Tansy), Amelia (Beatrice), Steampunk Cheshire Cat (Antoinette), Arietta (Ashli), Naoko (Zoey), Mocha MIO (Nyxie), Steampunk Mad Hatter (Hattie), Sapphire Princess Knight (Roni), Steampunk Alice (Lizette), Asoka Sorayu (Nova), Steampunk Taeyang Dodo (Theodore), Steampunk Isul White Rabbit (Finn), Tiphona (Felicity), Anthy Himemiya (Ester), Mocha MIO (honey), Alte (Bethan)
(06-06-2020, 11:02 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Neat posing! My crew never wants to hold more complicated poses.

I had to take the picture quickly because they were falling out of the pose. 

(06-07-2020, 02:28 AM)davidd Wrote: As neon notes, getting the figures to hold a pose like this is impressive! While the Bratzillaz have a range of motion, getting them to maintain a pose while balancing can be problematic and frustrating. This is a fun pic!

Honestly, it's rare the doll who will hold a pose well. Thanks, though! 

(06-07-2020, 11:25 AM)Lejays17 Wrote: Lol at the Beatles meme, that’s brilliant!

Baby Yoda looks like any number of small kids who insist they aren’t tired and don’t need a nap until they face-plant from sheer exhaustion.

I think you're entirely right with that! 

- - - 

159. Merida Collection

[Image: 70660884_294b3def6a52b7b45db9c091ddcd756c_standard.jpg]

A week or so ago, someone posted a picture of their small Belle doll collection, so I thought I'd post my small Merida doll/figure collection. I'm still hoping to find the LE 17" Merida in the display box, but I am very happy with what I have.
Marvellous suite of redheads!!!
A fun, fierce, and fiery collection, both in colour and in spirit!
Saw this on Insta, but it’s an awesome collection of an awesome character.
That's a fun collection. There are way more Q Poskets than there were when I first learned about them. What's the little one on the left?
Yep, 90% of doll photography is staging & posing....

Count on davidd to do the research.... wink So over 100 years after my period of interest; that ex-plains it... I always have great fun looking for language anachronisms in historical fiction.
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
(06-07-2020, 11:06 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Marvellous suite of redheads!!!

Thanks you! 

(06-08-2020, 05:22 AM)davidd Wrote: A fun, fierce, and fiery collection, both in colour and in spirit!

You can tell which colours they keep Merida too! 

(06-08-2020, 10:49 AM)Elfy Wrote: Saw this on Insta, but it’s an awesome collection of an awesome character.

The picture was taken for this thread (yes sometimes I take the pictures days in advance) but it was fun so I had to put it on Insta

(06-08-2020, 12:20 PM)Alliecat Wrote: That's a fun collection.  There are way more Q Poskets than there were when I first learned about them.  What's the little one on the left?
Yep, 90% of doll photography is staging & posing....

Oh, that's a Funko Mystery Mini figure - blind box figures. They tend to be cheaper than their Pops and have a ton more detail. Merida was easy to find byecause her hair made her box the heaviest one. 

And sometims that staging and posing can just be a fluke >< 

- - - 

160. Mischief Makers

[Image: 70702343_ba849946d9fe8e67f0434ac1e60c51f0_standard.jpg]

Just a little shelf display I've got atm. I honestly need to tidy my shelves up a bit more than they are at the moment...
Ahh, I can go h7nting on eBay for the one Elfy liked the best seeing as you’ve identified it. We,d guessed it was a pop of some sort - just which sub-group did it belong to.

The mischief makers are adorable as always and probably get away with a lot more than they should because of it.
My Girls: Alice Mint du Jardine (Lottie), Brand New Purrezza (Amelia), Ayanamei Rei (Evie), Princess Ann/Roman Holiday (Kit), Aquel (Becky), Scarlet (Izzy), Meg (Jo-Meg), Laura (Antimony), Nahh-Ato (Shala), Chicca (Maeve), Peter Pan (Meredith), VeryBerryPop (Daisy), SDCC2016 Wonder Woman (Diana), Taffy (Tansy), Amelia (Beatrice), Steampunk Cheshire Cat (Antoinette), Arietta (Ashli), Naoko (Zoey), Mocha MIO (Nyxie), Steampunk Mad Hatter (Hattie), Sapphire Princess Knight (Roni), Steampunk Alice (Lizette), Asoka Sorayu (Nova), Steampunk Taeyang Dodo (Theodore), Steampunk Isul White Rabbit (Finn), Tiphona (Felicity), Anthy Himemiya (Ester), Mocha MIO (honey), Alte (Bethan)
Aaah, so FLUFFYYYYYY!