Baitby the baity ebay Celsiy -- advice? :(
I'm not sure where to post this... Advice?

She arrived damaged, with an uneven wig with lots of flyaways, seemingly slightly-altered faceup, slight brown marks and scratches, no shoes (although the listing said she'd come with her clothes!) and a weird herbal smell so awful that days of airing her out hasn't gotten rid of it. She's so smelly and dirty that I'm probably going to have to TAKE APART this stock grail doll piece by piece and wash them. sad And even that I'm not sure will work.

I feel guilty complaining because she was such a great deal (the seller even accepted my offer) but I had NO IDEA what I was getting myself into... sad Advice? Commiseration? Help? sad

photos link sad
I am so sorry sad
I wonder if baking soda might help with fabric pieces at least ? Usually it is very good in taking smells away. Or maybe put the clothes in a Tupperware box with a bowl of baking soda?
(12-08-2015, 03:27 AM)Offgenemi Wrote: I am so sorry sad
I wonder if baking soda might help with fabric pieces at least ? Usually it is very good in taking smells away. Or maybe put the clothes in a Tupperware box with a bowl of baking soda?

Ooh, good idea! I might try this!! smile Thank you.
Aww, I'm sorry! sad How disappointing! Have you contacted the seller? I'd be inclined to open a 'not as described' case, especially if she smells that bad. If you don't want to send her back, you should at least get a partial refund. And not feel guilty since her condition was not accurately described.
Febreeze? Wrap in newspaper? Sometimes we get stinky book returns or donations at the library & I leave them wrapped in newspaper in a tub for a while. I once bought a wooden coat-hanger/shelf at a yard sale & didn't know till I got it home & inside that it smelled like stale cigarette smoke. Blecchh! Dead Nothing worked, except weeks of waiting.
Are any of these plastic-odour-removal ideas safe for dolls & maybe helpful?
https://www.google.ca/search?q=remove+odor+from+plastic&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=u8hlVpjHN4PHjwStj4aAAw
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
Oh Fishy, you seem to be having the same kind of luck with Evilbay that I was… sad

I'm not familiar enough with the face of the doll to comment on whether or not someone tried to customize her. What I can say about the jacket is that if it's made of vinyl, this type of thing is sadly normal with age:

[Image: 23292768010_b8c85f4050_c.jpg]

I would have mentioned it in a listing, but not every seller thinks to. The good news is that it could be easy to fix with matching acrylic from a hobby shop.

Of course, if she's more work than you bargained for I'd contact the seller for a refund. Between the undisclosed cosmetic issues and the smell I think you have a winnable case.

(12-08-2015, 03:27 AM)Offgenemi Wrote: I wonder if baking soda might help with fabric pieces at least ? Usually it is very good in taking smells away. Or maybe put the clothes in a Tupperware box with a bowl of baking soda?

That's an excellent idea!
>>>I'm not gone, just really, REALLY busy.<<<
FT: Dolls (updated: 3/7) | FS: BJD Eyes | FS: Accessories | Feedback | Freebie Dress | Freebie Wig
Ground coffee is good for fixing things that smell too!
Oh my from my experiences with oders with wigs soak it in fabric softener for a 2-3 days and a scent you like because let me tell you it will stick around for awhile. Her face looks generally un altered but those shadows around the nose makes me believe someone tried contouring her nose? hope you can fix her up!!
(12-08-2015, 05:11 AM)Severity Wrote: Ground coffee is good for fixing things that smell too!

Yep can confirm that this works. We bought a dirt cheap second hand car that smelled like it had been a secret smokers lounge. Poured in 2 packs (2 kilos) of ground coffee on the interior, closed the doors and left it for 2 or 3 days and then vacumed the car. Old smelly cigarette stink gone!

So sorry to hear about this sale fishy. Hopefully you can work it out with the seller or at least fix the dolly!

Edit: would not recommend pouring ground coffee on a doll, but maybe a pan with a rack? Or an asian double steamer, maybe in an oven with a tray or rack if you are sure no one will turn the oven on? You just need an airtight something.
Clean cat litter works for odors, too. Just make sure if you have cats you don't leave it someplace that they can get into it. Or you'll have even more problems. It looks to me like the upper eye shadow was removed or somehow worn off and then someone tried to replace it and did a very amateur job of it.
(12-08-2015, 07:43 AM)Marsian Wrote:
(12-08-2015, 05:11 AM)Severity Wrote: Ground coffee is good for fixing things that smell too!
Yep can confirm that this works. We bought a dirt cheap second hand car that smelled like it had been a secret smokers lounge. Poured in 2 packs (2 kilos) of ground coffee on the interior, closed the doors and left it for 2 or 3 days and then vacumed the car. Old smelly cigarette stink gone!

Really. I would never have thought of this. And things don't smell like coffee afterward? I mean, that would be better than cigarette... A good tip to remember.
And in the seller's feedback with my red circle I would write in capital letters about the smell... warn other buyers...
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
@Alliecat, we did not know either. A friend who used to trade in cars told us that should work so we tried. The coffee did leave a light smell afterwards but it quickly gets less. If i remeber correctly it was gone after about a week.
My Stica and China China both came stinking of smoke, so I did the Tupperware container filled with coffee grounds trick. It does work, they just smelled of coffee strongly for about a month after. It did eventually air off with them kept on display - and trust me it's preferable to what they smelled like before LOL
Pullips: Langley(Asuka), Maddie(Merl), Ophelia(Tiphona), Camille(Kiyomi), Ally(Classical Alice), Roz(Rosalind), Nate(Nosferatu), Eirwen(Snow White), Mariette(Milk Latte), Lily(Puki), Nataleigh(Nanette), Courtney(Reg Fan), Nami(Rei), Fleur(Luna), , Tiberius(Tantus), Petunia (Jouet 2.0),  Vanessa(BRH), Mary(Oui'Vera), Hugo(Gyro), Bella(Chibi Risa), Nicki(NekoMao), Sunny(Raphia), Dorian(Custom), Odette(Isolde), Aisha(Nahh), Lian(China), Maaya(Nina), Haruka(Purezza), Hero(Apollo), Cecily(Sfoglia), Carly(Podo), Suri(Blackberry), Dominique(Shinku), Temperance(Veritas), Clair(Violetta), Bonnie(Hello Kitty), Emily(Si'Anna), September(Fourrure), Natsume(Summer Purezza), Cherami(Akemi), Kate(Paja), Lizzy(Elisabeth), Crissy(Papin), Siegfried(Arion), Andromeda(Ra Muw), Wanda(Hermine), Odile(Adsiltia), Daisy(Leroy), Maggie(RQ), Cissa(Chibi Risa), Sam(Mao), Amelia(Sailor Saturn), Susan(Silane), Nora(Alura), Momo(Youtsuzu), Hanzo(Okita)
That's awful to hear, and Celsiy is such a pretty doll, too.... About the jacket, I think that must be pretty common with Celsiy, as mine came NIB and has a similar issue with the belt.
[Image: PAA_zpsf228551a.png]
~Parfait (Dal Heart Macaron), Alice (Pullip Alice du Jardin), and Amethyst (Custom MIO Pullip), my most special dolls <3~

*Sprites made by me*

Common with that material on anything, I think. I've seen it on other things like tote bags, purses...
I'm so sorry fishy sad I am having ebay issues at the moment, I have been lucky over the years but when it happens it's infuriating.

I can't offer any helpful advice but I do hope you can fix your lovely girl. DEFINITELY ask for at least a partial refund and give a big fat negative for the smell, if nothing else !!
Arashi N&B - Rayne N&B - Alfred