Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020)
Thanks guys!

Day 266

There's so much to celebrate today, I'm having troubles getting it all in one photo! You see, aside from autumnal equinox, it's also Doodle Day, and most importantly, a major Oddliday - Her Insane Majesty's birthday! Doodle Day it's the easiest one to celebrate, as it fell on tuesday, so I'd be posting a doodle anyway. That being said, it was a busy day and the doodle isn't as detailed as I wanted it to be.

Royal Birthday means that the whole Oddwickshire turns into one big party. You'll see most people wear a dark red rose somewhere on their outfit, as that's what Her Insane Majesty likes to decorate her gowns with.

The recipe for royal birthday cake is revealed a week before the big day, and everyone bakes or buys it so that they can eat the same one as the Queen. Before Her Insane Majesty acceded to the throne, it was a tradition that the birthday-monarch shared actual cake with the people, but Her Insane Majesty became so popular, the crowds wanting to get a bite grew too big and it was no longer possible to bake enough cake for all of them. So instead, the recipe is published and everyone can bake their own.

The Queen gives a speech that mostly consists of various riddles and nonsensical short poems. Oddlings love these speeches, they remind them how wise and enlightened ruler Her Insane Majesty is.

Parties, concerts and all other sorts of events take place, for example Rose Exhibition, which includes competition for the best new cultivar. Florianne always wins, because her roses can always do something special in addition to looking and smelling gorgeous, like glow, knock one out or cause hallucinations... This year's winner has one specifically shaped, very shiny and very sharp thorn right under the blossom, which makes the rose look like miniature scythe. It's great for opening envelopes or cutting off fingers.

The two following days are also official holidays, so that people have time to recover from hangovers. If they get even more drunk instead, it's their problem.

As for the birthday-queen herself, she usually leaves the official birthday party in the afternoon, to 'celebrate privately with family and close friends' (or a similar excuse), and she and Rosamunda then go to the town disguised as comonners, and celebrate incognito among the people. This is her favorite part of the day.

In this part of multiverse, I want to celebrate autumnal equinox. I'm probably the only one on this forum, but I love autumn. It's my favorite season. I love the colors, I love the fogs, I love the sky full of bird flocks, I love hoodies and sweaters, I love the crunching of dry leaves under my shoes, I love coming home from the cold outside and eating or drinking something warm, I love lighting candles (which never works for me in summer, because the days are so long) I love waiting for winter ravens and then finally seeing them arrive in a flock so big it looks like a giant black cloud. My favorite holidays, Halloween and All Souls Day, take place in autumn. My kitty came to me in October and her birthday is in November. And, of course, it's Her Insane Majesty's birthday. For me, autumn is a season of good things, so I'm happy it's finally here!

I'm aware that it doesn't make much sense celebrating it here, because most people here hate this season, but I can't help it. I'm quite good at throwing one-woman-and-her-cat parties, so nevermind me, I'm just being happy for a bit wink

(I'm also aware that this part of the post is very hemisphere-specific. Sorry, Aussies, I hope you're having a great spring!)

(This is ADAW #37, by the way)

[Image: f1cf73de08a834fbfd064db897eaeb0a.jpg]

[Image: 03892a9538267f856938146a508f9ddd.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - by neon_jellyfish - 09-23-2020, 02:47 AM