Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020)
(12-11-2020, 12:12 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: I'd recommend corn starch over baby powder, baby powder is meant to leave behind all sorts of stuff that's good for skin, but not necessarily plastic hair. I'm actually planning to do a massive glue-seepage treatment marathon for my MHs and EAHs next year, including removing their heads and putting some starch inside. Some dolls will need a reroot, though, their hair is too damaged. Good luck with your Blondie, I hope you'll be able to keep the glue seepage under control!

Birthday Ball Blondie has pastel blue hair, but I've never seen the line around here. I really wanted Duchess... I'll need to see your EW reroots (whenever you get to them)!

Thank you very much! For me, Pluto (Elazar Morgenstern in my collection) is my favorite Taeyang ever, I just love steampunk dolls. And redheads. But Sebastian (who became Orpheus Schwarzgrab here) is so cool, too! I'm not particular about the type of outfit, but dark and steampunk are my favorite styles.

I actually use baby powder as a result of my failed (or considerably lower-efficiency) attempts at curing glue seepage with corn starch - which was the first method I tried. I feared baby powder because of reasons similar to what you described (and scary stories of it causing discoloration, or even damage, that I read online), but my repeatedly failing attempts of curing one very stubborn glue head doll made me take another look at baby powder - and this is when I had the biggest and most embarrassing facepalm! Yes, most baby powders nowadays are filled with additives, which can potentially react with plastic and cause damage (for instance, natural oil used as fragrance could have a reaction with plastic), but without those, baby powder is just one mineral (talc; or this mineral combined with--- corn starch) and I, as a geologist, should have ex-pectations about its behaviour . In my defence, I've sadly been out of the loop and losing knowledge, as I'm not working in the industry. I can't think of talc entering into any sort of chemical reaction with plastic (at least definitely not with only hours, or at most, days of ex-posure under normal temperature and circumstances) - just like how kitty litter (which is - if you buy a version that is "clean" - also just another mineral, zeolite) also doesn't react with plastic, and has been used for deodorisation among collectors for a long time. The more I looked into it, the more I concluded that damage reported by collectors who tried to cure glue seepage with baby powder were most likely either the results of combinations of additives in the baby powder used (I've come across brands that had 19 ingredients in their baby powder, and while some of these are usually other types of fine-ground minerals with good absorbent characteristics, there are often also other ingredients that I can easily imagine reacting with plastic, especially in a moist environment, which the glue might provide them. And to boot, some that come up surprisingly often are not even good for human skin!), or that they left the baby powder in (the "it made the hair matte"-report is IMO one of these - I never ex-perienced any colour change  when I added powder-waited-washed it out with detergent-conditioned&left the hair to dry. There was one time I *so* wished it worked, and I believe that was the first time I tried it out - on a Rochelle who I massively wished had more pastel pink hair, but it didn't make anything less vibrant sad ). That said, finding baby powder with an acceptable ingredient list was harder than I thought (though some of this was the result of  tons of brands and products automatically falling out of scope for me, because I only buy cruelty-free), but the one I've ended up buying and I've been using for 5-6 years (luckily, a little goes a long way with the stuff smile ) seems to do the job, and I haven't yet noticed any aftereffect on any doll I've used it on during these years. So I stayed with this stuff in the end, and used up the corn starch for pancakes and white clay dough.

Oh! Birthday Ball Blondie! You are right - I think my mind keeps on trying to deliberately make me forget her, and that line... I was massively in love with those pastel hair colours, but the line never made it here either... I did end up with Duchess as part of a second-hand lot purchase, and I like her, but she was one of the less-wanted dolls from the line, as I'm not that fond of her face-up.
If I ever get to do those reroots, I'll make sure I post them here! Being the massive procrastinator I am though, I won't commit to any dates :3

Your Dark Queens look insanely fabulous! Such a lovely group of dolls! And the definition of the Dark Queen is perfect to describe what is one of my favourite doll aesthetics - even down to the kindness! I'll also say I prefer the unfiltered photo here, I really love the gradient transfer in hair and outfit colours that's visible in it (but is somewhat lost in the filtered version). I normally dislike red and purple (or red and pink) together, but they all just work together fabulously in this picture.
My Flickr Gallery blush

"I wear my sunglasses at night
So I can, so I can
See the light that's right before my eyes"

Messages In This Thread
RE: Neon’s A Doll A Day… Again (2020) - by Loona - 12-11-2020, 07:08 AM