Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
Interesting observation about how what was once the cutting edge of edgy in the doll world, just a few years ago, now shows up on mainstream playline dolls.

Monster High, of course, adopted a lot of the "goth" symbolism with skulls and other death-related images, but Mattel took some heat for it. Waaaay back in 2013, when Monster High was first released, a number of news articles referred to the line as "goth Barbie." As we all know, the line became hugely popular... until Mattel walked back the edginess to emphasize cute.

Also back in 2013... which was an absolutely glorious year for Mattel dolls... Mattel released a limited edition Haunted Beauty Vampire Barbie:

https://www.ifitshipitshere.com/limited-...-gorgeous/

Vampire Barbie is staggeringly ekspensive on eBay these days. And... apparently she was part of a series that also included Haunted Beauty Ghost, Haunted Beauty Zombie Bride, and Haunted Beauty Mistress of the Manor.

These were all limited edition collector Barbies. Unfortunately, most of this captivating creepiness has not made its way in to playline Barbies.

But apparently the answer is yes, there has been some integration of BEGoth-like style in to the Barbie line, mostly at the higher end with the collector editions.

I rarely see much of the "goth" look in public anymore. At least, not the pure, dark, full-on goth style. There are elements here and there, but it is usually as part of a watered-down quasi-punk aesthetic. That could have something to do with where I live. Is "goth" still a thing anywhere else?

Funny: when I started typing "is goth..." in to Google just now, the auto-fill completed it with "... still a thing?"

(Short answer: the goths got old and, being fashion and aesthetics conscious, realized they can no longer "rock the look.")

Here's a link with which to begin your time-wasting net surfing research:  https://www.quora.com/Is-goth-still-a-th...-the-goths
They're not dolls, they're action figures!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - by davidd - 05-17-2020, 03:04 AM