Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
(05-17-2020, 11:17 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: She’s loveky, but it’s a pity about the cheap “papery” feel of the dress on an ex-pensive collector item.  You ex-pect the papery dresses to be found on the knock-off dolls found at the pound / dollar shop.

I know - these dolls retailed at about £80 each, so I imagine if you paid that much for them you would end up feeling very angry at the cost cutting measures used for Glinda - especially considering Elphaba's stock outfit is so lovely. 

(05-18-2020, 01:51 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: I'm a crooked person, so the first thing that comes to mind when I'm looking at her is 'she's hiding some serious secrets behind that cheerful smile!'

Actually, you wouldn't be entirely wrong? In the scene where Glinda is wearing this iconic outfit, she is hiding the pain of having lost her dearest friend because the rest of Oz considers Elphaba to be an evil being. Glinda knows different but... she can't say. So, there you go. You're absolutely right. 

(05-18-2020, 03:58 AM)davidd Wrote: Sociological discussion absolutely fits on a doll board... as long as it's this doll board – one of the broadest ranging and most intellectually stimulating forums to which I've ever had the pleasure of belonging!

Might seem that way about "boys" to "girls." Speaking as a boy, to me it seems the opposite. For boys, even "action figures" still carry the "stigma" of being dolls and by the time you're nine you'd better be moving on to other things. For all kids, it seems the pressure to "grow up" has become so intense that the window of opportunity for enjoying and playing with toys has become extremely compressed. Another topic for sociological discussion!

The Barbie Wicked Signature Line should have included flying monkeys. A flying monkey Barbie would be wicked keen!

You're not wrong there, there are a more wide range on topics on these boards, from the most easily related to dolls or figures, to ones that are just spun off of comments made here and there.

It's interesting - they say we're in an age of an extended childhood, but at the same time there's clear evidence to suggest that children themselves feel forced to mature at a faster rate than they did less than a generation ago. Well, no, sorry, not less than a generation ago. Before the widespread capability of home internet. This is not a technology is evil rant, it's just a fact. Growing up with half your time spent online seems to have created a rate of false maturity that is... Not exactly the best to see. 

(This is why the blind box fad was so ever present - children are online at younger ages, which means you need to find a new way to present toys to them. Unboxing videos are always oddly popular, so why not tie into that?)

Ooh that would have been very cool - the stage flying monkeys have a good design to them! 

(05-18-2020, 05:38 AM)Alliecat Wrote: I suppose it depends on what the "toys" are.  I mean, there are stereotypes & stigmas with some, but not others.  Model railroading & model aircraft, as far as I know, are "cool" at any age, but dolls are not.  Go figure.  It's a pity that we lose so much of our capacity for imagination under that pressure to "grow up" and be "mature"(boring).

Glinda's very pretty.  I like that combination of blue & blonde.  Too bad about the dress, but I guess Groove aren't the only ones to use cheap materials on ex$pensive dolls.

The C.S. Lewis quote comes to mind: “When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

Or perhaps the Doctor's words fit better: “There’s no point in being grown up if you can’t act a little childish sometimes.”

It is annoying to find you spend good money on a doll, and the company itself decided to cut costs in how they made it, but didn't lower the price. I am just really, really glad I got Glinda on a discount. 

- - - 

139. H is for Hunter

[Image: 69774149_07a20e17d872299fcb38deb3709be4ea_standard.jpg]

Arguably probably the best design wise of the boys released in EAH. Though mine has a stain across his forehead that I have no idea where it came from, and his hair is very greasy... Glue head affects so many Mattel playline releases

Messages In This Thread
RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - by werepuppy - 05-18-2020, 09:22 PM