Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
(06-21-2020, 11:56 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: I now feel like I need a sukeban in my collection.

Maybe I'll be to able to sew something (note to self - AFTER I finish all the WIP projects).

I would genuinely love to make a sukeban doll. I think I'll need to make one as well. I recently came across some videos on YouTube talking about some sukeban anime and dramas and I'm wishing it was still a thing in pop culture. Badass girls kicking butt and wearing long skirts to do it. In theory, it should be easier to do it for Olivia but pleats on skirts... uuugh.

(06-22-2020, 01:23 AM)Lejays17 Wrote: Oh, if these are messy shelves, ours are a total disaster zone.

The only one which is slightly acceptable is the one in the backdrop on my home office.  And even that one has bears & Itty Bitty dolls in sight.  Surrounded by books of course.

The top of the shelves is cut off, which is where the worst of the mess is. 

Books are fantastic to be surrounded by! 

(06-22-2020, 05:03 AM)davidd Wrote: The Kamikaze Girls Momoko is cute as can be!

2004 for the movie... so, like, a long time ago now. Almost twenty years.

Wasn't the fashion trend initially called EGL: Elegant Gothic Lolita? I'm going by memory here, rather than looking it up. Then it started being called Loli-goth for short. Or are/were EGL and Loli-goth different than straight Lolita fashion? It seems like ages and ages ago... back in the Pinky Street forum days... that I actually knew a little bit about this stuff. 

I wonder what the youth street fashion trends are in Japan these days? Japan is known for rabidly adopting trends and fads with lightning-like speed, then just as quickly abandoning them. Since EGL/Loli-goth/Lolita was on-trend almost twenty years ago, I suppose the teens and twenty-somethings could be re-adopting it in a nostalgic or hipster-ironic version. NEGL: Neo Elegant Gothic Lolita?

Whatever. I'm just rambling.

Okay, so EGL was a variation of the lolita style that was more gothic influenced. There's a few variations, from what I can tell. I found this on the V&A website and thought anyone here might find it helpful. It looks at a few of the variations and the biggest designers for each: Lolita Fashion: Japanese Street Style

As for whether it's still popular... The answer is ... maybe? I did some research into youth street fashion and it seems like since the rise of stores like H&M and Forever 21 in Japan, that street style has been fading in favour of fast fashion, but there's still variations that pop up here and there. So ... maybe seems to be the only answer I can give in regards to it. 

- - - 

174. L is for Lucrezia

[Image: 71298896_9233c94a6365aa6b7640a0a2e98b5266_standard.jpg]

The second eldest daughter of Dracula, and the one who decided to run away and hide her identity. Of course, she did it by calling herself Draculaura which... Maybe not the best idea out there?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - by werepuppy - 06-22-2020, 09:55 PM