Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
(06-23-2020, 02:23 AM)davidd Wrote: "Draculaura" was my favorite Monster High character name. It is so simple, so obvious, so perfect... but I'd never seen it anywhere before. Just add three letters to Dracula and you have... a simple, classic girl's name!

But yeah, your Lucrezia changing her name to "Draculaura" to go incognito is right up there with the Lon Chaney, Jr. character in Son of Dracula (1943) hiding behind the appellation of Count Alucard.

Lucrezia's personal fashion statement here seems to be strongly influenced by the hime-gyaru trend, which... is now pretty much extinct, and was even on the wane by the early 2000s. By the time American toy companies adopt something in an attempt to appear current, you know it's already obsolete.

I totes cheated in identifying this fashion hodge-podge, having used this scholarly street fashion timeline analysis as a starting point:
https://file.scirp.org/pdf/AASoci2012040...494934.pdf

(Although, yesterday I became curious about "current" Japanese street fashion, as of 2019-2020, and from what I could find, it appears that Mattel's BMR1959 Barbie line is actually a close approximation of current trends.)

Ha! Actually, the Alucard as a way to hide was exactly my thought when I said Lucrezia hide herself by calling her Draculaura! It's been used a lot since Lon Chaney Jr's character. I don't think I know how many exactly have done it... I know Castlevania and Hellsing are among the most popular variations of it. 

Also thank you! I had thought this particular fashion was playing on Lolita again, as Draculaura in general tends to have shades of that in her fashion choices, but it's nice to know the specific fashion. And somehow I'm not surprised that street fashion is a Japanese trend. ... I still really like the 90s vibe of it all. 

(06-23-2020, 02:26 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Forbitten Love 2pack was awesome. I would prefer for Lala to have a little less yellow and a little more black, but this release of Clawd was the best one he ever got.

I have to agree on that. Definitely one of my favourite releases. 

(06-23-2020, 06:43 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: That was the thing with this release of Draculaura - is she th3 only one with yellow?  It’s not a colour that I really associate with her at all.

See, it's not a colour I think of for Draculaura, but apparently a few releases did use a good bit of yellow. 

- - - 

175. M is for Maddie

[Image: 71346935_3b1ff3aa4f4d882fdf3acc44d5f281e5_standard.jpg]

She's a little teapot, short and stout, there is her handle, there is her spout...

It's the top selling song of all time in Wonderland, apparently. The Teapot is a dance that swept the nation

Messages In This Thread
RE: Werepuppy's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - by werepuppy - 06-23-2020, 09:51 PM