davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
(05-11-2020, 12:21 PM)Alliecat Wrote: ... and a lot of metaphorical stuff could be said about its portrayal of sinking, smothering, struggling through the sometimes-overwhelming tangles of life.
...or maybe that's just me.

It's not just you.

[Image: may10.jpg]
10 May – TBLeague S26A body with Firegirl FG071C head
wearing Pullip clothing

I don't like doll joints. They look creepy. And the so-called "seamless" figures have too many joints: unattractive wrist joints and unattractive ankle joints. And the heads fit funny, and they're never quite the right size. To me, this head looks just a little bit oversized. Not enough to be "cartoonishly cute" like a Pullip or a Monster High. Just enough to look not-quite right. Other heads tend to run small, giving a "pinhead" look. Fine if you're Tod Browning, maybe. And granted, here at The Dungeon we sometimes work toward that type of moody, Browning-esque mise en scene. Nevertheless, I think my interest in these seamless figs is waning rapidly.

I touched up the wrist and ankle joints using a photo editing tool on this fig. I couldn't find any shoes to fit her. I see here that I left the hem of the skirt kind of tucked under itself, and I had trouble getting the tops of the stockings to be smooth. Maybe I'm not giving TBLeague gal here enough of a chance to shine.

This wasn't going to be her final look anyway. I was simply curious if this dress would fit. It mostly fits, although the figure is not as "busty" as she appears here; that's partly the dress poofing out. It even does that on Pullips.

Because these things were popular over on the GI Joe forum to which I belong, I thought I'd dabble in them. Well, I've done dabbled, and I'm not impressed. They're too much work, they're challenging to dress, and the combination of "seamlessness" with very obvious seams at some points is visually jarring to me.

I wonder if it would be a travesty to try Cousin Monday's Momoko head on this body? I wonder if I can remove Cousin Monday's head without damaging it? I wonder if Cousin Monday's dress would fit this seamless figure? Monday the Momoko also has unsightly weak ankles, and not particularly attractive wrists, so would there be any point in attempting such an eksperiment?

I'm rambling. I'm tired. Sorry.
They're not dolls, they're action figures!

Messages In This Thread
davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - by davidd - 01-02-2020, 04:54 PM
RE: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - by davidd - 05-11-2020, 12:47 PM