davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
What a score:

[Image: august7.jpg]
7 August – Mattel Ken / Mattel Max Steel Hybrid

I know, I know, you're all jealous. Too bad, he's mine, I tell you, he's all mine!

Tongue

I recently purchased a 21st Century Toys military vehicle via eBay (pics later eventually, maybe), which included three dolls action figures. Two of the figures are fairly generic, incomplete 21st Century Toys army guys. But the third one is this fantastic treasure: a hybrid between a MAX STEEL N-TEK RANGER and HORSE LOVIN' KEN: THE DOLL WHO LOVES TO RIDE HORSES!

Yes, that's really what the figure was called: Horse Lovin' Ken: The Doll Who Loves to Ride Horses. Horse Lovin' Ken shares a face sculpt with Todd, Barbie & Ken's Handsome Friend. Horse Lovin' Ken would have originally worn a red and white western outfit, complete with a cowboy hat. Handsome Friend Todd originally would have sported a purple tux, because he was a groom, getting married to Tracy, who I assume must have been Barbie & Ken's Beautiful Friend. Todd had purplish-brown eyes, while Horse Lovin' Ken has blue eyes, which is what enabled me to distinguish between them. Poor Ken, I think Todd got the better deal. At least at first.

But at some point Horse Lovin' Ken ditched the horses to become this buff and tuff army guy, while Todd is probably stuck working a mind-numbingly boring office job to pay child support and alimony to his ex-wife Tracy.

Interestingly enough, this particular Ken doll head sculpt was originally issued in 1978, called the Superstar Ken, featuring painted blonde hair and supposedly modeled after then-popular film actor Robert Redford.

(It's also possible that this could actually be "Dream Date Ken" from around the same era as "Horse Lovin' Ken," but I'm stickin' with "Horse Lovin" because I already typed up all those previous paragraphs.)

Thanx to one of the guys on the Action Man Mobile Ops Forum having previously posted a link to The Max Steel Reference Website, I was able to identify this 2001 era Max Steel body. Identifying the head sculpt required quite a bit of scrolling through Barbie and Ken eBay listings.

If you want to identify your random Ken doll heads, here's a great place to start: Man Behind the Doll: Ken Head Molds

Ya wanna know why I'm really excited about this figure? Yeah, sure, there's the awesome Max Steel N-Tek Ranger body with the molded-on wrist communication device, but look at that head sculpt. What celebrity does it truly remind you of? No, not Robert Redford. Here's a hint: is he a little bit country? Or a little bit rock and roll?
yay
They're not dolls, they're action figures!

Messages In This Thread
davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - by davidd - 01-02-2020, 04:54 PM
RE: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - by davidd - 08-08-2020, 11:33 AM