davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
(10-17-2020, 08:39 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: And now I have this idea for a very special ship for Oddwickshire, the kingdom that doesn't have a sea. Dangit.

Edit: I googled the box. It doesn't have Dead Tired Logo, just the name of the playset and Clawdeen's skullette, so it's a standalone release. Mystery solved! I'll probably call her Dead Tired again next time, though, I'm used to it too much.

Oddwickshire has underground rivers, doesn't it? Which could flow to or from underground lakes. Which could lead to underground seas.

Thank you for the Monster High history. Feel free to ramble. I can listen to (okay, read) Monster High rambling pretty much endlessly.

So she's Room to Howl Clawdeen, then. I thought, at least where I was living, that Dead Tired was released after this set. I also had the Hydration Station. I don't remember if I still have it. It was pretty cool, but quite tedious and messy to set up. And of course it stopped working in short order. I was hoping it was a device that could be set up and left to run, because it would have made a fun bubbling night light. Unfortunately, to operate it you pressed a button and it bubbled for about thirty seconds before shutting off.

[Image: october17b.jpg]
17 October – Monster High Venus McFlytrap
(Her "pirate name" is Ivy League!)

Ivy... I mean Venus is referred to as being a "Daughter of the Plant Monster." How lame is that? I mean, which plant monster? And which plant monster is the plant monster?

My immediate thought would be a Triffid from Day of the Triffids. Or Audrey from Little Shop of Horrors (which her pet, Chewlian, resembles). But then I though of what is probably my favorite "plant monster" movie, Caltiki, The Immortal Monster. Could Venus be the Daughter of Caltiki? Probably not, as almost nobody has heard of that movie. But maybe she's the daughter of the tree creature called Tabanga in From Hell It Came. Or, if she's descended from trees, what are those tree creatures called in Lord of the Rings? Or, y'know, maybe she's a relative of those apple trees in The Wizard of Oz. Maybe she's a Krynoid from Doctor Who. Or what about the pods in Invasion of the Body Snatchers? Is Venus a pod person?

I don't know. But I want to know! What did the Monster High designers have in mind when they came up with Venus? What were the original influences?
They're not dolls, they're action figures!

Messages In This Thread
davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - by davidd - 01-02-2020, 04:54 PM
RE: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - by davidd - 10-18-2020, 11:53 AM