davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
(11-01-2020, 11:56 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: I'm not familiar with the character (aside from knowing she exists), is that canon or just a Dungeon thing?

To the best of my knowledge, Vampi's fondess for carrot cake is just a Dungeon thing.

This year marks the 50th anniversary of Vampirella, a character co-created by writer Forrest J. Ackerman and artists Trina Robbins and Frank Frazetta. Yes, Vampi's iconic costume design was created by a woman.

My experience with the character largely consists of seeing advertisements in comic books when I was a little kid for the Vampirella magazine. Here was this nearly-naked woman in ads in comic books advertising what I kind of assumed was basically something on par with Playboy. I always made sure to flip to a different page in the comic book if my mom was in the room.

I've still never seen a Vampirella magazine. I believe it was essentially a horror anthology comic, probably not much different than any other scary comic book, other than featuring story intros by the nearly-naked vampire woman.

In the early 2000s Vampirella saw a brief "manga style" revamp (ha!) in a comic book series called Vampi.

Decades ago, the Aurora Plastics Company released a plastic model kit of Vampirella, along with the Frankenstein Monster, a mad scientist, and a "girl victim," plus an assortment of torture devices. Because, yeah, toys used to be cool. While I never owned any of the Aurora Monster Scenes models, I'm pretty sure that those advertisements in comic books (usually old comic books purchased used or picked up free) are one of the primary influences on Life in The Dollie Dungeon.

Here's an image link to an old Aurora advertisement: http://www.puuikibeach.com/images/vampirella_ad.jpg

Unfortunately, today's last-minute snapshot lacks any of the lurid allure of Vampirella, horror comics, or... Monster High.

[Image: november1.jpg]
1 November – Hula Doll Randomness

Looks like I need to make some repairs to the trim on the Smart Doll sofa.

Tomorrow's post is gonna be another quickie, because I have to go to the dentist. But after that, I wanna make the rest of gloomy November more fun. 'Kay? 'Kay!
They're not dolls, they're action figures!

Messages In This Thread
davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - by davidd - 01-02-2020, 04:54 PM
RE: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020 - by davidd - 11-02-2020, 12:57 PM