davidd's A Doll A Day 2019
(10-31-2019, 07:53 AM)dargosmydaddy Wrote:
Quote:I hope they enjoyed the game.

The Astros lost...

And the Astros lost again tonight (technically, they are "losing" as at this moment there are still two outs to go in the bottom of the 9th), which means they lost the entire series. Four losses IN THEIR HOME STADIUM!

[Image: october30p.jpg]
30 October – New Arrivals

Two new arrivals today: Smart Doll Cocoa Mirai and Panasonic Lumix TS30A camera.
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
Congrats on new arrivals! And I'm glad Cocoa Mirai got out of package right away.
Congrats on your new arrivals, and I hope Mirai lets you have the camera
I hope Mirai doesn't lord it over Danielle that she got free of her captivity so much more quickly...
(11-01-2019, 08:03 AM)dargosmydaddy Wrote: I hope Mirai doesn't lord it over Danielle that she got free of her captivity so much more quickly...

If she were to try such a thing, I do not think it would turn out well for Mirai.

[Image: october31.jpg]
31 October – The Greys are Watching
Yikes o.O Where did this guy come from!?
Hope you'll like the new camera. Does it give you much manual control?
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
Hey handsome, what big eyes you have!

How big is this guy?
Oh, wow. Very impressed with the size of those eyes.

Nice to meet you, Sir Grey
(11-01-2019, 08:15 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: How big is this guy?

The space alien is about 10 inches / 25 centimeters tall

[Image: november1.jpg]
1 November – Monster High "Freak du Chic" Frankie Stein

The new camera produces high-contrast images with visible noise, pixellation, and soft focus under low-light conditions. Disappointing.

I need to set up a camera test for all the cameras I currently have under various lighting conditions to see which one works best.
Ah, the charming FdC Frankie! I love an unhealthy lot of Frankie's releases, but FdC is one of my faves!

That's exactly like the camera on my phone...
Yeah, this is why I avoid the camera on my phone.

FdC had some of the best looks
Another crummy "new camera" pic:

[Image: november2.jpg]
2 November – Mattel Monster High Ghouls Rule Frankie Stein Doll

I found several boxed dolls in the storage shed a few days ago. I'll probably open this one since the box is damaged. The Freak du Chic Frankie pictured yesterday has pretty nifty packaging design, so I'm in no hurry to open that one.

I don't know how I ended up with so many unopened dolls, mostly Monster High. A few of them were given to me by a friend who found them in a thrift store / charity shop. Some I purchased myself. Since they are unopened examples, I checked out most of them on eBay. None of them are selling for enough to be worthwhile, and because of the size-weight ratio, the shipping cost for boxed dolls makes trying to sell them unfeasible. 

I find my self debating: open them up so they will take up less space, or hang on to them to see if they appreciate in value, or keep a few of them because the Monster High packaging was often very clever? Or haul everything to a donation center or the dump? I'm slipping in to one of those "I have too much clutter" moods. Plus, the crappy picture quality of the new camera has me feeling discouraged about photography.

Okay, enough emo-blogging. This is supposed to be fun, right?
Shipping costs make a lot of things unfeasible to sell on eBay slash Definitely not the dump though... Do you see photo/fun potential in any of them? Those would be the ones to hang onto. If you're really thinking of just 'dumping' them, since they're unopened what about a Christmas charity toy drive? Some little person might be thrilled to get a new doll.
And friends mean well but sometimes they just add to our clutter.

(11-02-2019, 07:45 AM)davidd Wrote: I'm slipping in to one of those "I have too much clutter" moods.
>ahem< Greetings from far, faaaarrr down that road. >sigh< I actually wake up too early, start worrying about whatamIgonnadowithitall, & lose sleep over trying to get out from under the "stuff" Mom & Dad accumulated. Today I tried to have a garage sale. It was quite a fail. "A few" people came, but I only sold maybe 15-20% of the stuff. It was too late in the year; my fault for not getting my act together sooner. I'll try tomorrow afternoon for a bit, but don't ex-pect much. Now I have to figure out what to do with all the things I ex-cavated Cry
So, I hearya.

Bummer about the camera. A lot of small digital cameras struggle with low light. My Kx even has trouble. If it's any consolation, they still look pretty good on a small computer screen.
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
(11-03-2019, 10:31 AM)Alliecat Wrote: Today I tried to have a garage sale.  It was quite a fail.  

I would imagine that where you live, a garage sale is basically a non-starter. The ~2000 year-round residents, which is not a big customer base on which to draw, all probably feel that they have too much stuff to begin with. Plus, a garage sale in November? Uhm... no. Not gonna work. But you knew that going in. Your best bet, if you want to try the garage sale thing, is to hold it in mid-summer at the peak of the tourist season. Spend the dreary winter getting everything ready, and whenever the peak week of tourist season hits, that's when to open up, with lots of cheery signs directing visitors to the treasure trove.

Christmas charity toy drive sounds like a good idea, and it is a sweet thought, but can you imagine the disappointment of some little kid who is hoping for an X-Box or an Elsa from Frozen doll who ends up with... a Monster High doll? That is a fad that has passed! I wouldn't do that to a kid.

I keep saying I want to set up a camera test. Maybe I'll do that this evening.
GR Frankie is another favoeite of mine, I love that doll so much! She was the one to make me break my one-doll-per-character rule.

I'm sure you'll get used to your new camera and will be able to make the best of it in no time!