Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General chat thread for Monster High
I'm melting!

[Image: august23b.jpg]

[Image: august23c.jpg]

While I was looking through some of my doll storage boxes today I found this! Melting plastic zip-loc bags! Of course my initial response was panic.

I have heard that Zip-Loc bags can react with certain types of plastics over time, but I had never had this issue before now.

The "melt" had affected three bags, but after separating the globs of plastic, I determined that the reaction had originated with the pink plastic "chains" on Monster High Vandala Doubloons. On closer inspection, Vandala herself appeared undamaged, and the plastic decorations easily separated from her cloth costume leaving no apparent residue. The dolls in the other two bags were undamaged. The melting had originated in Vandala's bag, and affected other bags at the points of contact.

I went through all of my other Monster High storage tubs after this discovery, but did not find any additional melting.

I also noticed that Vandala's joints have become extremely loose. I doubt that she will stand on her own anymore. The legs are extremely loose. The arms are somewhat loose. The head, in comparison, had become extremely tight, as though there may have been a reaction between the head material and the neck peg. I was able to loosen up the head and get it to move again.

This doll has been bagged up for about four years, I would estimate.

A while back I was wondering why I had kept two additional Vandala dolls "mint-in-box." Well, now I know!

Anyway, I can now attest to the truth behind the "plastic bag melt" rumors.

At some point I plan to wrap all my in-storage dolls and figures in tissue paper. Of course, that will probably bring on issues of its own.
They're not dolls, they're action figures!

Messages In This Thread
RE: General chat thread for Monster High - by Sei - 01-24-2015, 11:42 PM
RE: General chat thread for Monster High - by davidd - 08-24-2019, 01:09 PM