davidd's A Doll A Day 2019
I absolutely love seeing these 'behind the scenes' pics of your sets! Spiral staircase next, please!
(04-25-2019, 01:36 PM)werepuppy Wrote: Oh, wow. You know, from all your photos of it I never realised how relatively small the set was. You do a great job with your angles in photos, makes it all seem far larger.

Total width of this room box is about 34 inches, or 85 centimeters, so while it's not huge, it's not tiny either. I have a removable wall, painted with slightly different patterns on each side, that I can slip in to create differently sized spaces.

I find that I am sometimes limited by the height of the back wall and the front-to-back depth. Those are two issues that will be addressed in the restoration and upgrade, along with adding structural integrity. The room box was made from regular corrugated cardboard, which tends to soften, warp, and sag over time. I will be attempting to reinforce the walls with foamcore board.

(04-25-2019, 01:51 PM)Alliecat Wrote: Yay for decluttering progress.  Hope you'll be inspired to do some renovations of the set and some more photos.
Maudsie is adorable, and I really love this little room set.  The angel statue is the perfect touch.

Hee hee! The "little room set" in which Maudlynne is seated is the largest room box or doll set I have ever constructed. It takes up the entire top of a desk, about 55 inches / 140 centimeters long. I used plywood, rather than the usual cardboard or foamcore board, for the walls, so I'm hoping it won't warp and sag like my smaller doll rooms.

Renovations of the smaller room box are already underway... which is a surprise even to me. 

(04-25-2019, 02:38 PM)Elfy Wrote: Such a change when you declutter.

Yes; although then the problem becomes, "where did I put that ––––? It was right here before I 'cleaned things up.'"

(04-26-2019, 06:51 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: I absolutely love seeing these 'behind the scenes' pics of your sets! Spiral staircase next, please!

The spiral staircase is also in need of repair. The styrofoam I used for the 'stone' effect was kind of soft and crumbly, so it is crumbling... in a messy bits of styrofoam everywhere sort of way rather than a picturesque ruined stonework sort of way.

[Image: april25.jpg]
25 April – Bratz Selfie-Snaps Yasmin assists with the room box restoration effort
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
Good helping there from Yasmin.
Yasmin is being a decent helper, there
I see you have some professional help there!
I wasn't sure it was a good idea to allow Yasmin access to a sharp knife, but as it happens, she is much better at cutting a straight line than I am.

[Image: april26.jpg]
26 April – Smart Dolls Symphony and Harmony

The girls spent much of the day watching cars drive by on the highway, hoping to catch a glimpse of Smart Doll creator Danny Choo if he passed this way on his road trip
from Sequoia National Park in California to Arches National Park in Utah.

A closer examination of a road map indicated that Mr. Choo more likely passed through about an hour away to the west on Interstate Highway 15, and then an hour to the north on Interstate 70.
They look like they’re discussing doing a spot of fencing. Beautiful vista.
They're so cute! And Janie's eyes are the most magnificent shade of green!
Oh wow, the green of her eyes...

They both look so brilliant in the natural light, and their pose is so relaxed and casual, like you've just caught them having a chat
Wow, look at that wild wide-open landscape! What would they have done if they had met Mr Choo?? smile
It's nice to see at least one of your crew helping you with "their" photo sets LOL
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
(04-27-2019, 05:47 PM)Elfy Wrote: They look like they’re discussing doing a spot of fencing. Beautiful vista.

Trying to keep the dingoes and rabbits out.  yay

Or in.

(No actual dingoes here; we have coyotes instead, and lots of rabbits.)

(04-27-2019, 07:25 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: They're so cute! And Janie's eyes are the most magnificent shade of green!

Janie looks her best in direct outdoor sunlight.

(04-27-2019, 07:50 PM)werepuppy Wrote: ... and their pose is so relaxed and casual, like you've just caught them having a chat

Thank you. That is the effect I try to achieve with the Smart Dolls. I find them difficult to pose and photograph in a way that makes them appear natural and relaxed.

(04-28-2019, 02:41 AM)Alliecat Wrote: Wow, look at that wild wide-open landscape!  What would they have done if they had met Mr Choo?? smile

Squeal and faint, I imagine.

[Image: april27.jpg]
27 April – Trivia (Smart Doll Symphony) helps out with the room box remodeling project
Your dolls are very handy. Genuine Smart dolls!
That's pretty neat. She looks hard at work. For all your concern about making them look natural, you always seem to do it as you did here.
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
The 2 SmartDoll shots are great, they both look very natural there.

I like the 'behind the scenes' shots as well, and how you make your sets out of 'junk' & leftovers. looking forward to seeing the rooms after they've been upgraded.
My Girls: Alice Mint du Jardine (Lottie), Brand New Purrezza (Amelia), Ayanamei Rei (Evie), Princess Ann/Roman Holiday (Kit), Aquel (Becky), Scarlet (Izzy), Meg (Jo-Meg), Laura (Antimony), Nahh-Ato (Shala), Chicca (Maeve), Peter Pan (Meredith), VeryBerryPop (Daisy), SDCC2016 Wonder Woman (Diana), Taffy (Tansy), Amelia (Beatrice), Steampunk Cheshire Cat (Antoinette), Arietta (Ashli), Naoko (Zoey), Mocha MIO (Nyxie), Steampunk Mad Hatter (Hattie), Sapphire Princess Knight (Roni), Steampunk Alice (Lizette), Asoka Sorayu (Nova), Steampunk Taeyang Dodo (Theodore), Steampunk Isul White Rabbit (Finn), Tiphona (Felicity), Anthy Himemiya (Ester), Mocha MIO (honey), Alte (Bethan)
This is a great pose. Again, it looks so casual, like you've just randomly caught her at work in the middle of a project