davidd's A Doll A Day 2019
He's looking really cool. I'm guessing this is the middle of the confrontation onboard the airship that's high above the Really Important Factory?
Great setting and atmosphere.
Although if he's snitched something from the Pinkys, he better watch out... I bet they could take him on to get it back LOL
(which piece? the helmet...?)
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
(08-23-2019, 06:34 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: I'm getting something between kinda dieselpunk and sorta steampunk vibes from him. It's a very cool outfit, and it's very coherent, considering you put it together from random pieces!

You are correct, of course; the overall effect of this ensemble leans a bit more toward Dieselpunk than pure Steampunk. Not enough gears, I suppose, or tubes and wires on the rifle. If I find appropriate accessories I shall continue to try to add more "steam" and tone down the "diesel," but in the meantime, I'll consider this a "transitional" figure, spanning the period 1900 - 1920.

(08-23-2019, 09:01 PM)werepuppy Wrote: He's looking really cool. I'm guessing this is the middle of the confrontation onboard the airship that's high above the Really Important Factory?

Exactly! Exactly!

(08-24-2019, 10:49 AM)Alliecat Wrote: Although if he's snitched something from the Pinkys, he better watch out...  I bet they could take him on to get it back LOL
(which piece? the helmet...?)

Now that you mention it, the helmet has been used by the Pinkys, but it is originally a 21st Century Ultimate Soldier helmet. Funny thing, 1:6 scale GI Joe hats often fit Pinky Street figures. But the actual Pinky Street accessories are the goggles (Pinkys have the same eye spacing as GI Joe) and the eye patch.

[Image: august23a.jpg]
23 August – Mattel Wild Hearts Crew Kenna Roswell

Kenna scored some new gear today: a leather jacket (from one of the Barbie Twilight figures), two upgraded cameras that look much more realistic than her red one (a black plastic Barbie camera and a detailed metal vintage Tammy camera), goggles (on top of her hat, hard to see in this pic, I don't know what they're from), a utility belt (from a Playing Mantis Captain Action accessory pack) with a pouch for her extra film (yes, Kenna shoots both film and digital), and some cool brown boots (unknown source, but they fit her perfectly). Her original Vans-type shoes are very cool as well, so she will also keep wearing them.
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
Kenna looks very much the part of the every day meddling teen / photographer for local newspaper who just had to get the scoop on what's happening
She looks much more ready for action with her upgrades.
My Girls: Alice Mint du Jardine (Lottie), Brand New Purrezza (Amelia), Ayanamei Rei (Evie), Princess Ann/Roman Holiday (Kit), Aquel (Becky), Scarlet (Izzy), Meg (Jo-Meg), Laura (Antimony), Nahh-Ato (Shala), Chicca (Maeve), Peter Pan (Meredith), VeryBerryPop (Daisy), SDCC2016 Wonder Woman (Diana), Taffy (Tansy), Amelia (Beatrice), Steampunk Cheshire Cat (Antoinette), Arietta (Ashli), Naoko (Zoey), Mocha MIO (Nyxie), Steampunk Mad Hatter (Hattie), Sapphire Princess Knight (Roni), Steampunk Alice (Lizette), Asoka Sorayu (Nova), Steampunk Taeyang Dodo (Theodore), Steampunk Isul White Rabbit (Finn), Tiphona (Felicity), Anthy Himemiya (Ester), Mocha MIO (honey), Alte (Bethan)
Ah, so she didn't get eaten! She looks rad in her new(ish) gear!
Glad to see she found her way back to HQ LOL
And cheers for the nod to *FILM* ...
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
I can Kenna preparing for a new adventure since she managed to survive the great Jeep steal caper with Yasmin.
(08-24-2019, 03:03 PM)werepuppy Wrote: Kenna looks very much the part of the every day meddling teen / photographer for local newspaper who just had to get the scoop on what's happening

She is hoping that by cultivating an "edgier" look with the leather jacket and boots, people will take her more seriously and stop referring to her as "that meddling kid."
Not much luck so far, though.

(08-24-2019, 06:08 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: She looks much more ready for action with her upgrades.

It's the utility belt. Gives her a "Batman" sort of ready-for-any-contingency look.

(08-24-2019, 08:13 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Ah, so she didn't get eaten! She looks rad in her new(ish) gear!

"New(ish)" gear is the key; "thrifting" is a rad trend!

(08-25-2019, 02:41 AM)Alliecat Wrote: And cheers for the nod to *FILM* ...

Electromagnetic anomalies generated by Unidentified Flying Objects are much less likely to affect film than they are digital media.
Except for X-rays. Gotta watch out for those X-rays.

(08-25-2019, 10:46 AM)Elfy Wrote: I can Kenna preparing for a new adventure since she managed to survive the great Jeep steal caper with Yasmin.

Not only did she survive, she managed to avoid jail time. (The reasons for that may ultimately be revealed, if a long-delayed photo-story ever gets back on track.)

[Image: august24.jpg]
24 August – Hasbro "Elvis 1968" Collector Figure – 1993 release

The King of Rock and Roll, seen here, was an unplanned purchase. I was perusing eBay a couple of weeks ago, and noticed this Hasbro 1993 "Elvis 1968 Concert" figure, still in the original box, at a starting bid of $1.99. At first glance I thought it was one of the Mattel releases, and even though I read the description, and it clearly stated that it was a Hasbro figure, well, it was late at night and I wasn't thinking clearly and I placed the bid. I wasn't too worried, as I ex-pected to be outbid.

But I wasn't. I won the auction for this Elvis Presley figure for less than two dollars. Plus ten dollars shipping, so it ended up costing me $12.00 (or, specifically, 11.98).

I was kind of annoyed with myself for placing the frivolous bid, but now that the figure has arrived, I'm okay with it. The microphone stand is pretty cool and almost worth the purchase price. If I decide to, I may be able to repurpose the "leather" jacket into a "steampunk" costume.

The figure itself is not as nice as the Mattel versions. The arms are only articulated at the shoulders. The legs have limited click-joint type movement at the knees. The likeness is not all that great. In fact, the figure almost looks like the vampire Barnabas Collins from Dark Shadows. I am considering trying to add fangs and finding a cape and trying to convert E into Barnabas.

This figure is an excellent example of a point I attempted to make in werepuppy's topic about Sindy dolls earlier today: the market for "nostalgic" toys of the 1960s and 1970s appears to be disappearing. When this figure was released in 1993 it was a "special numbered edition" complete with a "certificate of authenticity" bearing the (printed) signatures of the head of the Elvis Presley Estate and the president of Hasbro Industries. Today, after more than twenty-five years, this unopened figure sold for... two bucks.

There was a second-hand store price tag on the box: $15.00. The box and the price tag were dusty, suggesting that the item had been sitting on the shelf in a second-hand or collectibles store for a long time.

There are sellers offering this item on eBay for up to $100. But there are tons of them available, as the Elvis generation fades away and their treasured memorabilia hits the second-hand market.

While some original toy items from the1960s and 1970s continue to bring good prices if they are in exemplary condition, most "nostalgic" re-issue, special edition, and memorabilia-type items have become virtually worthless, even when they have never been removed from the original box, and are literally worth less than it costs to mail them.

After a quarter century, Elvis escaped from his box today.
He's your second Elvis, right? I seem to remember Elvis making an appearance in the Dungeon... Which reminds me, how's Frank?
Maybe Frank and Elvis could do a duet or perform on the same bill.
It's a shame to think how the collector market has kind of ... collapsed in on itself, though the spectator boom of the 90s - making EVERYTHING a collectible and limited - didn't help this at all.

He would make an amazing Barnabas actually... (Surprised Sideshow never did that, they've done a lot of 'niche' figures and have gained audiences for them.)
(08-25-2019, 06:26 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: He's your second Elvis, right? I seem to remember Elvis making an appearance in the Dungeon... Which reminds me, how's Frank?

Yes, this is the Second Coming of Elvis.

Frank is busy planning his comeback.

(08-25-2019, 08:39 PM)Elfy Wrote: Maybe Frank and Elvis could do a duet or perform on the same bill.

Frank and Elvis appeared together last Christmas season.

OH, THE HORROR!
25 August – A Doll A Day 2019

Well, perhaps more embarrassment tinged with disgust than actual horror.  Sweatdrop   In this post I offer a behind-the-scenes glimpse into the current state – a state of utter chaos – of The Dollie Dungeon.

The idea behind this shameful reveal is to inspire myself to clean things up, repair what needs to be repaired, discard what needs to be discarded, and in general get things back to some semblance of not looking like a complete pile of rubbish. Obviously this attempt is doomed to failure, because while I could be cleaning things up this very moment, instead I'm sitting here in front of the computer screen wasting time.

Ah well. Such is my penchant.

My figure hobby shares space in a storage shed with garden and carpentry tools and supplies as well as general household storage. There is usually quite a bit of overlap; that is, a literal, physical overlap, with tools and paint cans and electrical cords and garden hoses piled on top of storage tubs heaped among empty and not-empty cardboard boxes. It's a total mess. Among my summer project plans was to construct another small shed for garden tools, but money, time, and enthusiasm (not to mention ability) have not yet propitiously aligned in a manner for that to happen.

[Image: bts1.jpg]
My most recently constructed set, and currently the least cluttered, consists of two walls and a door. I was going to need a door for a photo-shoot that I was planning, and this was the result. The door frame is already falling apart and the posters are falling off the walls. The Elvis figure is a recent arrival - two dollars on eBay. He is a Hasbro figure, but lacks the articulation of Hasbro's GI Joe releases, and the quality and detail is not as good as the Mattel "Barbie Loves Elvis" figures. The motion picture camera is from the Bratz Movie-Making Set of several years ago.

[Image: bts2.jpg]
This cluttery mess was slapped together for a quick one-off photo three years ago, and I ended up keeping it. It has served as a backdrop for a variety of scenes, including a well-drilling platform (its original purpose), a gallows, and a sailing ship navigation deck. Anything vaguely nautical in nature (meaning, mostly, random bits of string) ends up piled here. A lot of other stuff ends up piled here, too, but I managed to clear most of it away to snap this photo.

[Image: bts3.jpg]
I tried to construct a 1:6 scale biplane a couple of years ago, using random cardboard boxes. There's a top wing around here somewhere, and some extensions for the lower wing to bring it up to a satisfactory width. It really looks like utter rubbish, but I put so much work in to it that I have not been able to bring myself to throw it out... until now. Shortly before I sat down to post these images, I finally tossed this project in to the car with other bags of rubbish and hauled it to the dump. I have seen plans for 1:6 scale airplane models for sale on eBay, or there are 1:6 scale kits available, although they are pricey (US $200+), and apparently do not include various essential parts like propellers or wheels or material for covering the frame. At some point I shall revisit this project. I do not require total realism, but I want an airplane that doesn't look like a bunch of cardboard boxes taped together.

[Image: bts4.jpg]
The broom closet set is sitting in a corner, ignored, but has largely escaped being filled up with unrelated clutter.

[Image: bts5.jpg]
The submarine conning tower, scaled for 3-3/4 inch (Pinky Street) figures, is all that remains of a larger submarine prop that I disassembled and discarded when I moved to Utah nearly four years ago. Considering the abuse it has gone through it is holding up fairly well. I hope to restore the submarine model at some point.

[Image: bts6.jpg]
I salvaged this interesting piece of styrofoam insulation during my recent bathroom remodeling project. This will be the basis of a "dual scale" steampunk backdrop designed to work with with both 1:6 and 1:3 scale figures.

[Image: bts7.jpg]
The 1:3 scale (Smart Doll size) room set has largely avoided being buried in unrelated clutter, other than now hosting a full-size manual typewriter. But then, the set was built on top of my writing desk, and now I do not have a place to put the typewriter. A new ribbon is on order for the typewriter, by the way. Once the ribbon arrives I hope to clean and lubricate the typewriter and get it back in to working condition. Of course, then I'll have to find a place to put the typewriter that is not in the Smart Doll living room.

[Image: bts8.jpg]
I found this partial Monster High castle toy at a thrift store / charity shop for one dollar. I couldn't pass up a deal like that, now, could I? In itself it isn't much to look at because it is missing so many parts, but it works well for casting shadows and creating mysterious backdrops in atmospherically illuminated close-up photos. I should probably try to disassemble it, since it takes up a lot of space and I do not really need it to be assembled for the manner in which I use it.

[Image: bts9.jpg]
The "hippie bar" room box set in 1:6 scale was originally intended to be a quick single-use backdrop, but it has taken on a life of its own and refuses to go away. Anything "bar" or "restaurant" related ends up being piled in here. This box is presently sitting inside a larger box that houses the "new and improved" tiki bar version. (Those are "lab tables" constructed from cardboard and fast-food burger wrappers balanced on top of the set.)

[Image: bts10.jpg]
Here's a glimpse of the tiki bar as it currently sits behind and beneath the hippie bar backdrop. Notice the random notes about ideas for future photo-stories.

[Image: bts11.jpg]
The 1:6 scale spiral staircase was a challenging project. It could stand a bit of maintenance. I used a low quality styrofoam for the structure which is beginning to soften, sag, and crack. I'm not yet sure whether to attempt a refurbishment or to try to build another one. I actually did build another one, but it doesn't look as good or work as well in photos.

[Image: bts13.jpg]
The second spiral staircase prop can be glimpsed at the left of this image, in the chaotically cluttered "Paris apartment" set. The Bratz dolls and their horse have been sitting there patiently since last Christmas. As we approach the end of August, next Christmas is less than four months away, so there's no point in putting things away now, is there?

[Image: bts12.jpg]
This 1:6 scale room box was originally a dungeon-esque living room or parlor for Bratz dolls in their photo-story, but it has become my most frequently used "general purpose" room box. Currently it contains the scattered remnants of the "Bob Hope & General Patton" photo-story shoot and a couple of the Pullip Amelia flight crew (see, I really need that airplane).

[Image: bts14.jpg]
This is another Pinky Street scale set, a "surfer bar" for Pinky Street figures that never got finished. My enthusiasm was high when I started, but I lost focus, and this has been sitting here untouched for over two years. I should either finish it or tear everything out and forget about it. Chances are, however, that I won't do either, and it will just keep sitting here.

[Image: bts15.jpg]
The steampunk dynamo room was constructed specifically for a photo-story that has now been "on hiatus" since... hang on a sec, gotta go look it up... ah! Since August 2016! Three years ago this month! That's long enough. I really need to get back to that story. Or just admit to myself that it's done, it's over, it ain't gonna happen.

So there you have it: the current "real world" behind-the-scenes status of The Dollie Dungeon.

"But wait," you say. "Where are all the dolls? All the action figures? All I see are a couple of Bratz dollz and ol' General George. And Elvis. What about the Pullips and the Monster High and the Novi Stars and the Emilys and everybody else? Where are th Pinkys?!" Yeah, well, the dolls are currently scattered across several storage tubs. The tubs sit below the shelves on which these sets are built. My next order of business is to clear enough floor space by getting rid of empty cardboard boxes and packing plastic and what-not to set up a folding table on which I can start sorting toys and figures. I actually started on that a few days ago, not by choice, but because I discovered that some of the plastic bags were melting.
It's like one of the behind-the-scenes footage DVD extras... now we know how the magic is made.

I am a little concerned for that one Amelia in the third to last photo, laying in front of the tank...
WOW. What dargos said; it does look like the prop warehouse behind the movie set. So many projects -- and so interesting to see all the things you've made, or started to make, and I can totally identify with the lack of ambition that keeps one from Getting Things Done. I hope this sort of 'itemizing' of the projects gives you some inspiration to start working on at least one of them.
The third-last photo made me LOL. There's some kind of a story here, I'm sure. I mean, there already appears to be one body in the jeep, which is equipped with a shovel and axe, for... something... and then the Amelia looks like she could become another casualty... is there some nefarious scheme afoot, and who is behind it...??? ??? LOL

(08-25-2019, 01:09 PM)davidd Wrote: the market for "nostalgic" toys of the 1960s and 1970s appears to be disappearing.
Sad, really. I'm not an Elvis fan but I'm sure there are/were some around who would've been thrilled to have a figure like this if it had been made during the heyday of their fandom. All this stuff becomes the detritus of a generation, that the next generations have no interest in. Too bad.

(08-25-2019, 08:39 PM)Elfy Wrote: Maybe Frank and Elvis could do a duet or perform on the same bill.
Yes... add some more of your crew and you could have quite an interesting "Road" movie... LOL